News The kid is contracted to Penrith’: Cronk backs Panthers over ‘ridiculous’ Matt Burton standoff

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cooper Cronk says the continuous conversation about an early release for Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs is “ridiculous” and believes Penrith are well within their right to hang onto him.

Burton’s future was in the headlines for the days leading up to Saturday’s Bulldogs-Panthers clash.

The 21-year-old has signed a three-year deal with the Bulldogs, starting from 2022, but Canterbury are desperate to lure him across immediately. They argue that it’s unfair on Burton that Penrith are standing firm, despite him playing reserve grade.

However, Cronk believes the Panthers are doing the right thing by keeping him at the club for depth. He also says more time in NSW Cup will help his development.

It’s ridiculous this conversation,” he told Fox League’s Super Saturday.

“The kid is contracted to Penrith and Penrith are in the box seat in a premiership window to win the competition.

Why did Wayne Bennett recruit Benji Marshall? For exactly the same thing. If a gun half goes down at some stage, he’s got a really ready-made half replacement.

“The fact is, he may play next week because Nathan Cleary (suffered a head knock), that’s exactly what he’s there for.

“Ivan Cleary spoke about how he’s played 11 reserve grade games and a handful first grade games. That’s exactly his development phase.

“While the question for him going to the Dogs is all about emotion, feel-good and the right thing today, Penrith want to win competitions, they want the best list they can possibly get and that’s 1-30, not 1-17.”

Titans’ head of performance and culture, Mal Meninga, weighed in on the conversation, referencing the Gold Coast’s pursuit of Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

Fa’asuamaleaui signed with the Titans in December, 2019 for a deal that begun this season.

Meninga believes Fa’asuamaleaui’s final year with his former club, the Storm, was crucial in his development.

“I use Tino as a really good example,” Meninga said.

“He could have come to our club last year but he chose to stay.

We thought it was the best decision for him and he goes and plays for the Storm in a grand final.

“His growth and development through last year was fantastic. He comes to our club and we get nearly the best out of Tino because of the experiences he had 12 months prior.

“(Burton) is a great chance, if he’s in the squad, to play in a grand final this year and you can’t deny that sort of experience.”

After yesterday performance, I'm over bringing Burton over early. Use the last remaining spot for a prop.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cooper Cronk says the continuous conversation about an early release for Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs is “ridiculous” and believes Penrith are well within their right to hang onto him.

Burton’s future was in the headlines for the days leading up to Saturday’s Bulldogs-Panthers clash.

The 21-year-old has signed a three-year deal with the Bulldogs, starting from 2022, but Canterbury are desperate to lure him across immediately. They argue that it’s unfair on Burton that Penrith are standing firm, despite him playing reserve grade.

However, Cronk believes the Panthers are doing the right thing by keeping him at the club for depth. He also says more time in NSW Cup will help his development.

“The kid is contracted to Penrith and Penrith are in the box seat in a premiership window to win the competition.

Why did Wayne Bennett recruit Benji Marshall? For exactly the same thing. If a gun half goes down at some stage, he’s got a really ready-made half replacement.

“The fact is, he may play next week because Nathan Cleary (suffered a head knock), that’s exactly what he’s there for.

“Ivan Cleary spoke about how he’s played 11 reserve grade games and a handful first grade games. That’s exactly his development phase.

“While the question for him going to the Dogs is all about emotion, feel-good and the right thing today, Penrith want to win competitions, they want the best list they can possibly get and that’s 1-30, not 1-17.”

Titans’ head of performance and culture, Mal Meninga, weighed in on the conversation, referencing the Gold Coast’s pursuit of Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

Fa’asuamaleaui signed with the Titans in December, 2019 for a deal that begun this season.

Meninga believes Fa’asuamaleaui’s final year with his former club, the Storm, was crucial in his development.

We thought it was the best decision for him and he goes and plays for the Storm in a grand final.

“His growth and development through last year was fantastic. He comes to our club and we get nearly the best out of Tino because of the experiences he had 12 months prior.

“(Burton) is a great chance, if he’s in the squad, to play in a grand final this year and you can’t deny that sort of experience.”

After yesterday performance, I'm over bringing Burton over early. Use the last remaining spot for a prop.
Can't argue with that :grinning:

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Originally the argument around his development had the most weight to me but seeing the dogs get dominated particularly in the forwards it would probably hurt more than help. As it is he can play behind a team that will get him playing a mix of front and back foot halves play while preparing as our first choice halves back up for a club hoping to make another GF. Leaving next year or not we need him to be a rep level half and he'll be developed as such for our benefit not his but him and the dogs will profit from it.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good article. Let's just leave Burton where he is, hopefully he gets first grade game time and we get a better version of him next year.

We have more urgent problems in the forwards and I would be looking to fill our last couple of spots with 2 big boppers

Who and where we can get them from.....I have no idea..... but we need reinforcements up front because Napa and Ogden in particular just don't cut it

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Originally the argument around his development had the most weight to me but seeing the dogs get dominated particularly in the forwards it would probably hurt more than help. As it is he can play behind a team that will get him playing a mix of front and back foot halves play while preparing as our first choice halves back up for a club hoping to make another GF. Leaving next year or not we need him to be a rep level half and he'll be developed as such for our benefit not his but him and the dogs will profit from it.
We can send Napa over as well if you wish. We'll pay full freight, don't worry about Burton.... as long as Napa stays far away from the team.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
from a development standpoint, playing in a struggling team can be detrimental to young players... but personally, and not just limited to Rugby League, I love players that have had to struggle, fail, lose, work on their games etc. and then overcome and win instead of just having everything given to them... too many of today's players are soft

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can send Napa over as well if you wish. We'll pay full freight, don't worry about Burton.... as long as Napa stays far away from the team.
the funny thing is, Napa is still only 28 years old... he should still be in his prime but he doesn't even look FG standard... he is going to struggle to get another FG gig in the NRL after this year

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully all the articles and reports die down after yesterday’s game. I’m so over it.
Me too.
Its black and white issue as far as I'm concerned.
Kid has a contract with the Panthers.
Kid has a contract with us next year.
He comes next year, it's that simple.

I'd want our club to do the same if rolls were reversed.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gallen and Slater think he should stick to the contract aswell.
Thurston on the other hand said they should release him because he knows what it's like.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Or deitz.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I'm tending to agree with him staying at the Panthers now for development. When he comes to us next year hopefully we'll have one or two better forwards capable of getting us some decent field position plus he'll have JAC, Cotric and hopefully another decent back (replacing Hopa) who can tackle and be a good finisher. Already looks like this season is gone for us.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thurston on the other hand said they should release him because he knows what it's like.
Didnt Thurston win a GF because he stayed... Burton is in an extremely similiar situation and may get to play a GF.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
was Gallen telling Willie Mason at the end of 2007 to stick to his contract with the 'Dogs after Mason's bust up with the club's administration and Malcolm Noad or was he encouraging him to spurn the Roosters and instead get a release and sign with Cronulla and help the Sharks win their maiden premiership?

I don't have an issue with Burton remaining with the Panthers but spare me the hypocrisy

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"to continue the conversation is ridiculous" yet here he is continuing the fucking conversation and so another story pops up FMD..is there a thumbs down emoji on here if not there should be...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
from a development standpoint, playing in a struggling team can be detrimental to young players... but personally, and not just limited to Rugby League, I love players that have had to struggle, fail, lose, work on their games etc. and then overcome and win instead of just having everything given to them... too many of today's players are soft
Yesss!

"Character building" for the potential superstar to come here early lol

Last edited: