New Rules and the death of the NRL.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that sounds dramatic,but please bear with me.
I believe the rule changes of the last 2 years have signalled the end of upsets,in most,if not all games.
By continually giving an extra advantage to teams who are on top with the ball,the NRL has consigned upset results to the scrap bin.
Is this what we want to see every week?
Favourites winning on the back of lopsided set restart and penalty counts.
As a Bulldogs fan,I'm used to rough calls.
I expect it.
But the first 2 rounds of this year have me ready to give up on this game.
Yes,we weren't great in either game,but in both games we were in with a chance at half-time in both.
The refeering in both was so biased towards the "favoured" team that we were officiated out of them.
There were so many one-sided decisions in both games,it seems very clear to me that the less fancied team has really no chance to get a fair crack.
There seems to be a bias towards penalising the defending team,while turning a blind eye to the attacking team pushing the rules when in possesion.
The fact we have only received 1 penalty in 160 min of football should ring alarm bells.
Set restarts are another rule I hated when they were introduced,and the fact they have now more reasons to give a set restart had me petrified for the Dog's chances.
The way this season is shaping up,we are going to be no chance of making the 8.
Maybe we weren't to begin with,but at least having a fair chance would have been nice.I believe these new rule changes will mean we have none.
On a larger note,as in not being specifically related to the Dogs,these rules,as they are now,will mean less competitive games,less chance of "weaker" teams causing an upset,and more boring,predictable results.
The end of the "Fairytale".
What do you guys think?
I’m probably one of the few to agree with u,but for me I enjoyed the game more,before the rule changes,it has become a game of touch footy 100 miles an hour,and nothing else.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They used to say wrestling was the death of NRL..

The truth is winners are grinners and the top team with attacking players wont be complaining..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m probably one of the few to agree with u,but for me I enjoyed the game more,before the rule changes,it has become a game of touch footy 100 miles an hour,and nothing else.
RL was getting very bland a few years ago. too predictable. 3 hit ups, pass to centred on the 4th, kick for distance or a bomb. Back and forth with that.
Theres some excitement atm. We can have a discussion on whether its gone too far. If so drop your phone number in my DMs and we can have a phone cal, but i think we are closer to the marks now than what we were with the stoppages.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The one where a try can be overuled is a horrible one. If your unsure, go upstairs. Why pump up the fans and players only to have it taken away. Justified or not, it's plain terrible.

Again Peter Vlandys keeps talking about the fabric of the game. Over turn this 6 again and overuling try debacles.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The one where a try can be overuled is a horrible one. If your unsure, go upstairs. Why pump up the fans and players only to have it taken away. Justified or not, it's plain terrible.
i agree with this, its cruel and annoying, it fucks up sports bets too.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have a different take on why there is less upsets.
teams are stacking themselves with talent!

The thing is, origin made payments to players higher, so players are happy to take 100k less in exchange for a premiership and 3 origin games ( net theyselves 180k large) and a legacy.

Mods, please pin this.
Sometimes, like this time, you say stuff that actually makes sense, and then you throw in shit like, "mods, please pin this". Like your opinions are so much more meaningful then others. Your such a flog!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Sometimes, like this time, you say stuff that actually makes sense, and then you throw in shit like, "mods, please pin this". Like your opinions are so much more meaningful then others. Your such a flog!
it should be pinned for that exact reason, it makes alot of sense and is educational.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That pathetic rule of giving the try then checking is the stupidest rule I have ever heard
It actually makes the game slower but the big no go for me is giving try having team and crowd celebrate the try, walk back get ready for kick off then bring it back.....WHAT A FUKN JOKE this sport has become

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
That pathetic rule of giving the try then checking is the stupidest rule I have ever heard
It actually makes the game slower but the big no go for me is giving try having team and crowd celebrate the try, walk back get ready for kick off then bring it back.....WHAT A FUKN JOKE this sport has become
cuzzie its ok i guarantee they wont keep this.

just keep the bunker with a time limit

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
cuzzie its ok i guarantee they wont keep this.

just keep the bunker with a time limit
Well it is the nrlol so wouldn't put it past them to make a new rule then get rid of it in couple weeks. Ruining the sport

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Well it is the nrlol so wouldn't put it past them to make a new rule then get rid of it in couple weeks. Ruining the sport
yeah RL loves to keep changing things.

id be ok to ditch it completely and just have a touch in goal ref on field as an extra set of eyes.

or have the bunker as a captains challenge thing only.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah RL loves to keep changing things.

id be ok to ditch it completely and just have a touch in goal ref on field as an extra set of eyes.

or have the bunker as a captains challenge thing only.
Bunker is just as stupid, I can't work out what's different between the first replay they see and the 50th replay. Any dum fuck can work out in one or 2 looks if it's a try or not

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
Nasheed here, Eels and melb was an upset
Maybe in your mind it was.
betting doesnt suggest that.
and by that I don't mean its a rort,just that the result was pretty even,betting wise.

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
I have a different take on why there is less upsets.
teams are stacking themselves with talent!

The thing is, origin made payments to players higher, so players are happy to take 100k less in exchange for a premiership and 3 origin games ( net theyselves 180k large) and a legacy.

Mods, please pin this.
And this new era of NRL,with these unfair rules,will make it more of the have's and the have-not's.

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
Exactly,and thats why it favours the team on top at the time.
It is an unfair advantage to a side that already has an advantage.
Rugby League has always been about possesion,field position,and dominance,but these rules negate the opportunity of the defensive side to make a defensive play to nullify that dominance.
It's all geared to favouring the team that has the ball.
Where is the team that defends their line,against all odds for 5 sets?
I'll tell you where they are.Kicking off!
That's another thing.
One little thing they could do to make it a 'bit' more even, and this is LEFT field I know, how about making the scoring team kick off?
Give the battlers a break FFS!

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
The Murdochs knew it was a good idea,seems like the NRL just can't get over Super League! lol

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
RL was getting very bland a few years ago. too predictable. 3 hit ups, pass to centred on the 4th, kick for distance or a bomb. Back and forth with that.
Theres some excitement atm. We can have a discussion on whether its gone too far. If so drop your phone number in my DMs and we can have a phone cal, but i think we are closer to the marks now than what we were with the stoppages.
I respect your opinion,and yes the game got too regimented,but this is not the answer.
It will only lead to the stronger destroying the weak.
There will be no contest,and that's what we all love "Rugba" League for isn't it?
Daniel defeating the Lions?