The Mole: Big-money Bulldogs favourite to sign gun Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last position we need is a prop! We still have too many of them and it is the EASIEST position to fill anyway. We actually need another centre. Hooker yes but there aren't any on the market that are decent and no Cook aint coming back regardless of how "out of contract" he is. Why come back to a side that shafts you!
The great Bullfrog was quoted as saying "when you think you have enough props, go and buy another one". We don't have enough "quality" in the front row right now. Of course that is unless Atoni and Ogden deliver on their potential.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The last position we need is a prop! We still have too many of them and it is the EASIEST position to fill anyway. We actually need another centre. Hooker yes but there aren't any on the market that are decent and no Cook aint coming back regardless of how "out of contract" he is. Why come back to a side that shafts you!
I think we're lacking one quality forward. I don't see many of those "available" either, just like hooker. Until Brandon Smith is off the market we should be going all in for him.

SunnycoastDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think we're lacking one quality forward. I don't see many of those "available" either, just like hooker. Until Brandon Smith is off the market we should be going all in for him.
Not sure he is what we’re in need of brother. Need a quick dummy half that keeps the pigs moving in turn finding holes for Allan, Cotrić and others.
Plus the mooted 880k plus he’s asking is crazy money tbh

SunnycoastDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
But totally agree we should be hunting some good young forwards. Love that Sharks prop Pele??
Though not sure with the changes and up tempo this season if his lateral movement is going to be a hindrance

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the game has adjusted and has become more vital to have superstar backs . The speed off the game will open up opportunities and give more time .
All I know is addocarr is tailor made with the way the game is evolving . Sign a player like Angus along with Staggs . If Deitz can turn out to be a consistent dummy half then he can save us a lot of money and look elsewhere.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For $800k we can sign the likes of Damien Cook and Cameron Munster. If we pay $800k for an okay Centre, that will be suicide for our club. We will be back to where we started with the Des cap mess. I hope this is just rumours by his manager to milk more cash from the broncos
800k is crazy and we definitely shouldn’t be paying that . 800 is a spine player money only ! Or if his name is taumololo

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Without Staggs, JAC would be the only real star player we have next year (I'm talking about Australian or State of Origin rep) Cotric couldn't even make the NSW 17. If the Bunnies can afford Mitchell, Gagai, Walker, Reynolds, Murray. Cook, Arrow all on huge money, The Roosters Tedesco, Keary, Manu, Cordner, etc, the Panthers, Crichton, Luai, Cleary, Yeo etc all on huge money we'd have to be able to afford 1 player on 800K. Storm have Munster, Papa, Grant. Why are these teams all favs to win the comp ? Because they have "multiples" of the best players in the comp. I really don't understand people complaining if we sign a few. There's no guarantee players like Averillo, Schoupp, etc are going to be superstars. Do we want to compete for top 4 or just remain average or below ?
This is by far the most intelligent post on this thread. A lot of members on this forum think they're accountants. Staggs is quality and if there is a chance to secure him, then it would be irresponsible for our club not to make a play.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Without Staggs, JAC would be the only real star player we have next year (I'm talking about Australian or State of Origin rep) Cotric couldn't even make the NSW 17. If the Bunnies can afford Mitchell, Gagai, Walker, Reynolds, Murray. Cook, Arrow all on huge money, The Roosters Tedesco, Keary, Manu, Cordner, etc, the Panthers, Crichton, Luai, Cleary, Yeo etc all on huge money we'd have to be able to afford 1 player on 800K. Storm have Munster, Papa, Grant. Why are these teams all favs to win the comp ? Because they have "multiples" of the best players in the comp. I really don't understand people complaining if we sign a few. There's no guarantee players like Averillo, Schoupp, etc are going to be superstars. Do we want to compete for top 4 or just remain average or below ?
We're not paying 800k for him, end of story.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is by far the most intelligent post on this thread. A lot of members on this forum think they're accountants. Staggs is quality and if there is a chance to secure him, then it would be irresponsible for our club not to make a play.
Cheers @The Faz

There was an article today about the top 50 players in the NRL.
Souths have 8 (4 spine players)
Roosters 8 (2 spine)
Panthers 7 (3 spine)
Storm 10 (4 spine)
Raiders 4 (2 spine)
Bulldogs ZERO

Some on here act like we're raiding their personal piggy bank and don't want to spend decent money on "anyone" (including spine players like Brandon Smith, Adam Reynolds, Latrell Mitchell etc) and they seem to believe we're going to magically become a top 4 side on the cheap by promoting some of our juniors like Schoupp etc when they probably haven't even watched these young blokes play a full game. They must seriously believe our recruiters of junior players are the best in the business, better than all other 15 recruitment teams. I seriously doubt we have the best juniors though when you look at teams like the Roosters. Others complain we shouldn't spend decent money chasing players because we'll have to upgrade our young halves when they start playing well - like it's a GIVEN and like we're never going to shed players in future.

If we want to be a "definite" (not maybe) top 4 team any time soon we need to get rid of the dead wood and replace them with proven quality players as in stars not guys like Stimson and Britt who can't even make our 17 - What a f..king waste of money that was when we could have paid a little more and had a great hooker the last few years and in future.

If we can get a gamebreaker or 3 we're lucky if we can get them. If we can't afford to buy 2 - 3 established superstars even better than Cotric something is seriously wrong when you look at us on paper compared to the rosters of the teams above.

Unless we can jag B.Smith I think we need to settle for Deitz and sign the best "attacking" back to replace Hopa and the best attacking forward to replace Napa. Some on here whinge about needing another prop but like who'se available before 2023 ? (besides Aaron Woods so basically no-one)

We should definitely have the cap to buy Staggs and Ryan Matterson for 2022 and push up RFM to middles if really needed then target James Fisher-Harris for 2023. I'm quietly confident though that Thompson, Hetherington, Atoni and Ogden will more than hold their own this year and in future.

Unless we're buying someone like Adam Reynolds (and the usual suspects would bag that idea too) then we have our halves and fullback settled for the next few years and possibly our hooker too. Why not spend the money we saved on our spine to strengthen our weakest links in other areas ? Half of the top 50 players aren't in the spine but are still gamebreakers. We need as many genuine gamebreakers as we can get no matter what position they play.

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok from my source, we are actually interested in him but not at 800k.

That's all I got told.
every clubs would be I
Cheers @The Faz

There was an article today about the top 50 players in the NRL.
Souths have 8 (4 spine players)
Roosters 8 (2 spine)
Panthers 7 (3 spine)
Storm 10 (4 spine)
Raiders 4 (2 spine)
Bulldogs ZERO

Some on here act like we're raiding their personal piggy bank and don't want to spend decent money on "anyone" (including spine players like Brandon Smith, Adam Reynolds, Latrell Mitchell etc) and they seem to believe we're going to magically become a top 4 side on the cheap by promoting some of our juniors like Schoupp etc when they probably haven't even watched these young blokes play a full game. Are our recruiters of junior players the best in the business, better than all other 15 recruitment teams ? I seriously doubt we have the best juniors capable of making us a top 4 team. Others complain we shouldn't spend decent money chasing players because we'll have to upgrade our young halves when they start playing well - like it's a GIVEN.

If we want to be definite (not maybe) top 4 any time soon we need to get rid of the dead wood and replace them with proven quality players as in stars not guys like Stimson and Britt who can't even make our 17 - what a f..king waste of money that was when we could have paid a little more and had a great hooker.

If we can get a gamebreaker or 3 we're lucky if we can grab them. If we can't afford to buy 2 - 3 established superstars even better than Cotric something is seriously wrong when you look at us on paper compared to the rosters of the teams above.

Unless we can jag B.Smith I think we need to settle for Deitz and sign the best "attacking" back to replace Hopa and the best attacking forward to replace Napa. Some on here whinge about needing another prop but like who'se available before 2023 ? (besides Aaron Woods so basically no-one)

We should definitely have the cap to buy Staggs and Ryan Matterson for 2022 and push up RFM to middles if really needed then target James Fisher-Harris for 2023. I'm quietly confident though that Thompson, Hetherington, Atoni and Ogden will more than hold their own this year and in future.

Unless we're buying someone like Adam Reynolds (and the usual suspects would bag that idea too) then we have our halves and fullback settled for the next few years and possibly our hooker too. Why not spend the money we saved on our spine to strengthen our weakest links in other areas ? Half of the top 50 players aren't in the spine but are still gamebreakers. We need as many genuine gamebreakers as we can get no matter what position they play.
100% agree