Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping Baz brings him on with Renouf during the backend of the first half. Knights will have some sloppy middles and Deitz can just zoooom off the back of a Renouf 2s play the ball.
I was thinking the same I wouldn’t be starting Deitz just yet I hope he kills it tho so he can cement a spot moving forward and keep Katoa/JMK out, they aren’t first grade material

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone is getting carried away with Deitz. He is 25 hasn't played first grade and been at 3 clubs. He looked good in the trail no doubt. But he's not better than JMK in my opinion.
It’s just something new mate and not being afraid to take a risk that’s what I like there is nothing to lose he can’t be worse than what we have.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm more a soccer expert than a rugby league expert, so can someone help me out here. When you're saying a hooker passes slow out of dummy half, exactly what things are you looking at (in that dummy halfs motion) that are tell tale signs of slow service?

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
I am willingly being carried away with Deitz hype.
  • Worst case scenario (that he is on par or worse than JMK) doesn't seem all that bad for an experimental year.
  • Best case scenario he is Damien Cook reincarnate.
  • Anything in between would justify his selection - he'd be on cheap coin too.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Chuck him straight into the deep end start him at 9. The lads 26 hes not a 18 year old coming through the ranks. His body has peaked physically so he either has what it takes or he doesnt.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more a soccer expert than a rugby league expert, so can someone help me out here. When you're saying a hooker passes slow out of dummy half, exactly what things are you looking at (in that dummy halfs motion) that are tell tale signs of slow service?
Passing the ball of the ground and having it hit the targets is vital wasting time on picking the ball up, bad service, giving the half’s less time is a killer and slows down the attack massively

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the time, it’s when they pick the ball up and hold it a bit before they pass.

Also, when they defence is in the face of the receiver by the time they receive the ball. Makes it hard, especially for the kicker on 5th, who has to put the same kick we’ve been seeing for the last 3 years.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having good Admin at the club also helps. No doubt they've been pushing the boundaries looking for every advantage and found one here. If Deitz performs then we can promote him and lock him into the team...if not then at least we haven't wasted a spot on the roster after rushing him into the squad.
100% yep!
Not wishing harm or a slow recovery to JMK, however this could not have gone better for us!
As you say we get to trial Deitz without having to lock him into the 30 at this point.
After the years of bad offseason stuff happen to us & the club this may finally be a swing in the right direction....lets hope it lasts!
If Deitz cant handle firsts then there is no damage done.....alternatively he could be just what we were looking for at a fraction of the upfront cost.
Damn......Friday night cant come around soon enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, when they defence is in the face of the receiver by the time they receive the ball. Makes it hard, especially for the kicker on 5th, who has to put the same kick we’ve been seeing for the last 3 years.
See the passing bit (the speed of the pass), I find that really hard to judge. Wouldn't this more be not being ready for the play?

What I'm getting at, is it the actual action of the motion or is it more impacted by a lack of knowing what you're going to do and the threat you pose?

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See the passing bit (the speed of the pass), I find that really hard to judge. Wouldn't this more be not being ready for the play?

What I'm getting at, is it the actual action of the motion or is it more impacted by a lack of knowing what you're going to do and the threat you pose?
It’s both really. When the hooker doesn’t know who to pass to, he’ll hesitate, leading to slow service, which seemed to be the case for the last few years.

When the hooker takes too long to pass, it’ll lead to what we see with Katoa, which is playmakers having no space, even though it’s reaching the right person.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the time, it’s when they pick the ball up and hold it a bit before they pass.

Agree. The slow ones also tend to have more loop in their pass and the 1st receiver rarely gets it hard on the chest or just out in front, which destroys the whole move. They tend to swing their arms rather than flick their wrists. Dummy halves with genuine options (kick/pass/run) also make time for themselves by keeping defences in 2 minds.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope Barrett drops Katoa completely if Deitz can play...

I heard some whispers Averillo is out, I hope not :(

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No.PlayerSponsor
1Corey AllanHy-Tec
2Nick MeaneyGuardian Venue Management
3Will HopoateCincotta Chemist
4Nick CotricAIWC
5Dallin Watene-ZelezniakSouthern Cross Charcoal
6Jake AverilloPenny's Pork Crackling
7Kyle FlanaganSydney Freezers
8Ofahiki OgdenIntello IT
9Sione KatoaJay Productions & Events
10Jack HetheringtonMMX Projects
11Adam ElliottTLH Recruitment
12Corey WaddellDental on Evaline
13Josh JacksonDaily Press
Interchange Recovery Partners
14Brad DeitzKhalil Family Lawyers
15Renouf AtoniUrbanista Café & Convenience
16Ray Faitala-MarinerYour Property People
17Dylan NapaMcDonalds Punchbowl/Lakemba
Reserves
19Tui Katoa
20Chris Smith
21Brandon Wakeham
22Ava Seumanufagai

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No.PlayerSponsor
1Corey AllanHy-Tec
2Nick MeaneyGuardian Venue Management
3Will HopoateCincotta Chemist
4Nick CotricAIWC
5Dallin Watene-ZelezniakSouthern Cross Charcoal
6Jake AverilloPenny's Pork Crackling
7Kyle FlanaganSydney Freezers
8Ofahiki OgdenIntello IT
9Sione KatoaJay Productions & Events
10Jack HetheringtonMMX Projects
11Adam ElliottTLH Recruitment
12Corey WaddellDental on Evaline
13Josh JacksonDaily Press
InterchangeRecovery Partners
14Brad DeitzKhalil Family Lawyers
15Renouf AtoniUrbanista Café & Convenience
16Ray Faitala-MarinerYour Property People
17Dylan NapaMcDonalds Punchbowl/Lakemba
Reserves
19Tui Katoa
20Chris Smith
21Brandon Wakeham
22Ava Seumanufagai
Ava seems to have impressed...

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Both.
Its a pass selection thing as it's also a single motion pick up off the ground and hit the moving target accurately on their chest.