News Storm culture 'worth more than money' Jahrome Hughes says as off-contract star weighs up mega Warriors bid

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Storm culture 'worth more than money' Jahrome Hughes says as off-contract star weighs up mega Warriors bid | Sporting News Australia

Storm culture 'worth more than money' Jahrome Hughes says as off-contract star weighs up mega Warriors bid

WRITTEN BY ED CHISHOLM

Jahrome HughesNRL images

Jahrome Hughes has given a glowing assessment of life at the Storm amidst reports the sought-after grand final star has been offered big money to join the Warriors at season's end.

Hughes headlines a list of off-contract star players currently testing the market, with the Kiwi international's value set to soar after his instrumental role in leading Melbourne to their third premiership of the Craig Bellamy era, following a successful transition from fullback to halfback.

Hughes has attracted interest from several NRL clubs - with former club the Titans among them - but the Warriors remain the clear front-runners for his signature.

News Corp reports the Warriors plan to blow the Storm out of the water with a long-term offer in excess of $800,000 per season for Hughes, who is now considered among the best playmakers in the game.

Driving the Warriors' high-priced pursuit of Hughes is their hopes for him to replace captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, who announced his shock defection to New Zealand rugby union next year.

Cameron Smith's inevitable departure will free up space in the Storm's salary cap to spend this season, but News Corp claims the club will still struggle to compete with the Warriors' offer.

However, addressing his future on the Byron Cooke Show podcast, Hughes said no money could compete with Melbourne's championship culture.

"As a player or as a person you want to get the best out of yourself as much as possible," Hughes said.

"When I was lucky enough to come down here, I knew I wasn't going to play any first grade but the lessons I (knew I) could learn from the club - the players and the coaching staff - it was just too hard to refuse.

"You see a club like the Melbourne Storm, or Craig Bellamy and their (football) manager Frank Ponissi, if they're interested in you, that's worth more than money."

Hughes' comments give the surest indication yet that he plans to re-commit his future in Melbourne despite the lure of more money over the Tasman.

Until last season, the 26-year-old was moved around between halfback, five-eight and fullback by Craig Bellamy.

But Hughes successfully transitioned to halfback in 2020 to fill the void left by Cooper Cronk and flourished alongside Cameron Munster.

Last year NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler admitted he feared Hughes could struggle to sustain the heights he's reached in the Storm jersey if he was to shift clubs.

“Look at Brodie Croft - very similar situation," Fittler said of Hughes in October, via WWOS.

"He could fit into that Melbourne formula, and then when you move away, once you lose that strength in the foundations, it is easy for your game to fall apart.

"I don’t know if Jahrome would (fall apart), he seems like he has really strong character. I’m with Joey, he could lead that club with Munster and a few others into the next generation.

"What a great place to do it."

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Playing really good football but he's not worth 800k. He might struggle with the pressure of the price tag and being the main man. Much safer playing alongside Munster in the Storm system.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The so called “Storm culture” is retiring in 8 months, when Bellamy leaves the “culture” will slowly fade away. In 12 to 18 months it will be all gone, replaced by the next coach’s culture.

Go Dogs

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I Hughes goes to the Warriors, they will turn him into a mediocre player. I got nothing against the Warriors, but every big name player they've signed can't do anything for them - that's just their culture. Price and RTS are prime examples.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only imagine Hughes’ accountant would be just shaking their head at such a silly statement. Now moving to NZ might be harder for an Aussies but this guy is actually a kiwi?
Also financially he’d be so far ahead of he took a deal with the Warriors. It’s not just if they are offering more per year, the cost of living and tax rate are substantially lower in NZ. Turning them down could cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars. That decision really no sense when League is such a hard game and injury can strike at any time and end your career

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Playing really good football but he's not worth 800k. He might struggle with the pressure of the price tag and being the main man. Much safer playing alongside Munster in the Storm system.
Jamie Soward look alike. The Dragons should chase him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I can only imagine Hughes’ accountant would be just shaking their head at such a silly statement. Now moving to NZ might be harder for an Aussies but this guy is actually a kiwi?
Also financially he’d be so far ahead of he took a deal with the Warriors. It’s not just if they are offering more per year, the cost of living and tax rate are substantially lower in NZ. Turning them down could cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars. That decision really no sense when League is such a hard game and injury can strike at any time and end your career
The personal income tax in NZ is actually higher than Australia up to $180k as they don't have the first $18,200 tax-free. We also have "Special Professional Income Averaging" which enable professional athletes to average their income (similar to farmers), so that they don't get punished by high income tax rates in their prime earning years. The New Zealand equivalent only applies to part time athletes who also have a "day job". Plus of course NZ GST is 15%, compared to our 10% and things like food are not exempt in NZ. So if they don't get you with income tax they get you every time you buy stuff.

Go Dogs

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The personal income tax in NZ is actually higher than Australia up to $180k as they don't have the first $18,200 tax-free. We also have "Special Professional Income Averaging" which enable professional athletes to average their income (similar to farmers), so that they don't get punished by high income tax rates in their prime earning years. The New Zealand equivalent only applies to part time athletes who also have a "day job". Plus of course NZ GST is 15%, compared to our 10% and things like food are not exempt in NZ. So if they don't get you with income tax they get you every time you buy stuff.

Go Dogs
The highest tax rate in NZ is 33% as opposed to 45% in Australia. You’re significantly ahead being in NZ

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By culture is he referring to winning comps as that's what it reads like?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The highest tax rate in NZ is 33% as opposed to 45% in Australia. You’re significantly ahead being in NZ
1614300710454.png

The biggest difference is the "Special Professional Income Averaging" which they do not have in NZ. Followed closely by the GST, which represents 15 per cent of Australian Government tax revenue compared with 26 per cent in NZ

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

With O'Brien now tied to the Knoughts till the end of 2024 that removes one of their preferred coaching options.

Go Dogs

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 21604

The biggest difference is the "Special Professional Income Averaging" which they do not have in NZ. Followed closely by the GST, which represents 15 per cent of Australian Government tax revenue compared with 26 per cent in NZ

Go Dogs
You seriously have no idea LOL

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hughes just re-signed with Melbourne for three more years on a deal supposedly worth over $2 million. I don't blame him for not wanting to join the never ending rabble at the Warriors.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
To be fair. They said Warriors offered 2.5 for 3. Storm reported as 2+ for a 2 (with third as option)

Would you stay in melb at 700k+ or move to nz etc to Warriors for 830k?

No brainer.

Not so much the moving fee etc though your family (assume He has one) uprooted for 100k a year before tax to play for warriors or stay with storm? No brainer.

Good news with this is in my opinion he’s not worth it.

He’s a good player but for me it’s Munster grant and papen who would be the better big $.

I don’t believe the storm can lock all 3 of them up now. When they got caught cheating Inglis went.

I think they showed they can keep
3 and build around. I can’t see how all 4 stay.