Rumour Chasing Matterson?

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't be upset at the signing but I don't think it's one we need.
Recruitment is definitely focused on an increasingly faster game if this is the sort of forward we're targeting over the old style of big powerful middle forward.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wouldn't be upset at the signing but I don't think it's one we need.
Recruitment is definitely focused on an increasingly faster game if this is the sort of forward we're targeting over the old style of big powerful middle forward.
That's the thing though Matterson has ball skills and it would greatly benefit the half he plays outside wether it be Burton or Flanagan.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s a quality player. Will be playing origin soon enough. But do we need him? We seem to have a plethora of 2nd rowers at the club. Only thing that would make sense would be giving them Elliot, Parra went hard at him a couple of years ago.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Apparently he wants to play with his brother, his brother is a 5/8 and won’t be ahead of Burton anytime soon. unless he wants to play for Mounties, I don’t understand his logic

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is he better than any backrower we currently have? Would he make our starting 13? I say yes to both questions.

If he is attainable, if TBaz sees him as a part of the puzzle that will win us the comp and if his price tag can be justified in keeping balance in key positions in the squad, then I hope we go for him

I imagine TBaz' plan will be to realistically challenging for the premiership in the next couple of years and I'm pretty sure our team will have maybe just a couple (if any) survivors from last years squad and it will be a completely different looking team

I know we need a hooker and a prop and of course TBaz would be planning on upgrading those positions but also if we can strengthen in any other positions when the right player becomes available, we need to be getting that player and moving on players that aren't going to contribute to us winning the comp. I think there will be a revolving door of player movement in our club over the next 2 years so that TBaz has a consistent top 4 team that will go deep into the finals every year

Who knows, but in 3 years time we could have a backrow of Matterson, Pikura and Topine (who could be our Radley or Cameron Murray type player?).

My whole point is whether or not there is any truth to the Matterson rumour, if a player becomes available who will improve our team and is better than what we currently have (in any position) we should be looking at ways to make it happen

And yes, we need a hooker and prop first, but if they aren't attainable straight away ,we shouldn't let other opportunities to strengthen our team pass by

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is he better than any backrower we currently have? Would he make our starting 13? I say yes to both questions.

If he is attainable, if TBaz sees him as a part of the puzzle that will win us the comp and if his price tag can be justified in keeping balance in key positions in the squad, then I hope we go for him

I imagine TBaz' plan will be to realistically challenging for the premiership in the next couple of years and I'm pretty sure our team will have maybe just a couple (if any) survivors from last years squad and it will be a completely different looking team

I know we need a hooker and a prop and of course TBaz would be planning on upgrading those positions but also if we can strengthen in any other positions when the right player becomes available, we need to be getting that player and moving on players that aren't going to contribute to us winning the comp. I think there will be a revolving door of player movement in our club over the next 2 years so that TBaz has a consistent top 4 team that will go deep into the finals every year

Who knows, but in 3 years time we could have a backrow of Matterson, Pikura and Topine (who could be our Radley or Cameron Murray type player?).

My whole point is whether or not there is any truth to the Matterson rumour, if a player becomes available who will improve our team and is better than what we currently have (in any position) we should be looking at ways to make it happen

And yes, we need a hooker and prop first, but if they aren't attainable straight away ,we shouldn't let other opportunities to strengthen our team pass by
Matterson will go to the highest bidder and hopefully that isn't us. I rate him but I don't see this as a smart move for us with the other options we have available within the club and on the market.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Matterson will go to the highest bidder and hopefully that isn't us. I rate him but I don't see this as a smart move for us with the other options we have available within the club and on the market.
Next week on the Mole
Canterbury have taken another step toward landing Ryan Matterson by selling their Belmore properties and moving their leagues club to Edmonson Park which is close to none other than Dean Matterson, the 23 year old park footballer brother of Ryan. This new move will allow Dean to visit the club easier, and is thought to be key to getting Ryan signed for 2022.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If we can punt either Jackson or Elliot its sound business. Personally I'd prefer Elliot have been let go, put Jackson at lock and have either Topine or Doorey interchange with him.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score

I think that he is better than a lot of what we currently have in that position........but he has had a number of clubs in the last 4 years and does seem to be driven by the almighty $..........I think that taking him on board would imbalance the cap and have an affect on other players getting less.........a good (potentially at least) purchase of Piakura ( or whatever) could be money better spent......

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It would cost 650k or more for Matterson or 300k for Piakura. Obviously Matterson is more proven and a really good player, but I'd prefer the club took a chance on Piakura and signed another young forward of his calibre with the remaining 350k and continue to build the squad that way.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If we shed Napa we need another big body in our forwards otherwise we're going to be one of if not the smallest pack in the comp. You still need big forwards who can bend the line to get metres out of your own end AND in D to handle many of the monsters from other teams like Paulo, Papali etc. Matterson is a better edge runner that anyone we have in the forwards. We're definitely lacking strike in the forwards big time since CHN departed. RFM can easily move up to middle IF needed. He plays like a middle anyway. I really think Thompson, Hetherington, Ogden and Atoni are decent props. How many do we need ? What props are available that are any better than these guys ? We also have Britt if desperate. He might get back to his Souths form. Matterson would probably come a little cheaper than Napa anyway so what's the big deal with those whingeing about how much he will cost.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good player but seems high maintenance, think we could spend the money more wisely

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think that he is better than a lot of what we currently have in that position........but he has had a number of clubs in the last 4 years and does seem to be driven by the almighty $..........I think that taking him on board would imbalance the cap and have an affect on other players getting less.........a good (potentially at least) purchase of Piakura ( or whatever) could be money better spent......
Yeah that's true, he mightn't be the right fit, but I was using him as an example of the (hopefully) changed recruitment/retention policy we might have in place. Whereas over the past 5 years we have had to re-sign our mediocre players as our club held no attraction for any decent players to come to, now we not only have a good shot at elite players but also very good consistent first graders that are better than what we currently have.

The player cleanout started this year and from all accounts we have even more off contract this year. No doubt it takes a skill to balance the salary cap with the right money spent on the right positions and TBaz has said we have to be smart in our recruitment

Our squad has started to take shape and next year we should be in even better shape. Any of our current players off contract are going to have to take their game to the next level if they are to EARN an new contract

I still envisage alot of player movement and I trust TBaz to make improvements in player quality throughout the whole squad

We are definitely coming out the other side of our darkest years and I am fricken excited to see where our team goes in the next few years

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeah that's true, he mightn't be the right fit, but I was using him as an example of the (hopefully) changed recruitment/retention policy we might have in place. Whereas over the past 5 years we have had to re-sign our mediocre players as our club held no attraction for any decent players to come to, now we not only have a good shot at elite players but also very good consistent first graders that are better than what we currently have.

The player cleanout started this year and from all accounts we have even more off contract this year. No doubt it takes a skill to balance the salary cap with the right money spent on the right positions and TBaz has said we have to be smart in our recruitment

Our squad has started to take shape and next year we should be in even better shape. Any of our current players off contract are going to have to take their game to the next level if they are to EARN an new contract

I still envisage alot of player movement and I trust TBaz to make improvements in player quality throughout the whole squad

We are definitely coming out the other side of our darkest years and I am fricken excited to see where our team goes in the next few years
Spot on.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we shed Napa we need another big body in our forwards otherwise we're going to be one of if not the smallest pack in the comp. You still need big forwards who can bend the line to get metres out of your own end AND in D to handle many of the monsters from other teams like Paulo, Papali etc. Matterson is a better edge runner that anyone we have in the forwards. We're definitely lacking strike in the forwards big time since CHN departed. RFM can easily move up to middle IF needed. He plays like a middle anyway. I really think Thompson, Hetherington, Ogden and Atoni are decent props. How many do we need ? What props are available that are any better than these guys ? We also have Britt if desperate. He might get back to his Souths form. Matterson would probably come a little cheaper than Napa anyway so what's the big deal with those whingeing about how much he will cost.
napa at the correct price is a good option, we paid overs for him but we wont next time. He brings experience, we cant have all young blokes.