Rumour Chasing Matterson?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that he wouldn't be good value for money, he left the Tigers on $450k and got an upgrade at Parramatta. His contract has a player option for next year, so he's is in a strong bargaining position for yet another upgrade.

Go Dogs
Might be a good reason why we'd get him (600K). If we let Napa go we should even save a bit of money (50K a year). RFM can play prop. He never runs edges anyway plus we could still have Thompson, Hetherington, Ogden and Atoni (even Britt if we're desperate). With all the players off contract at the end of this year there has to be enough money for a good hooker too but the only trouble is they're pretty hard to find before 2023

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don’t think matterson is soft at all. He’s also a big body. The other rooster fan even said he will transition well to prop in the future. I’d agree.

That said I think he’s wasted there for now. More inclined to move rfm in.

Although in saying that jacko won’t have long left so ideal replacement there too.

Regardless if we are interested I think he’s a quality player. Would take him over any of our pack (excluding Thompson) who i have high hopes for.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isn’t a middle he is a edge , too soft for middle
He plays on the edge for the eels. But from memory I'm pretty sure he played as a middle at the tigers as a lock. While at the roosters I think he played in the middle off the bench.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He plays on the edge for the eels. But from memory I'm pretty sure he played as a middle at the tigers as a lock. While at the roosters I think he played in the middle off the bench.
he is an edge, definitely cant play prop like some are saying

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Correct.

Definitely played plenty of minutes up the guts as a younger lad too.

He’s 1.94 and 107kg according to google.

I’d say he’s safely around the 110kg mark.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Correct.

Definitely played plenty of minutes up the guts as a younger lad too.

He’s 1.94 and 107kg according to google.

I’d say he’s safely around the 110kg mark.
he was 5/8 in his younger days

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
he was 5/8 in his younger days
Nothing to do with that. Simply stating like the poster above said. He played in the middle both at the tigers and the roosters when he came off the bench in the nrl.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I rate him but I don't see the point..? Jackson, Elliott, RFM all still under contract...Doorey + Topine coming through, the Broncos dude we're apparently getting..seems like an unnecessary amount of money to spend imo.
Maybe Matterson is the plan B if they miss out on Piakura? I think Tbaz has his heart set on bringing in a big, damaging second rower in the Kikau mold.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wierd if true, we have plenty of guys to play an edge foward role, how about staggs on the outside of rfm and a quality 9.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dunno man he scored that mean try for tigers against the roosters years ago playing lock and was very dominant
if he plays middle he plays a lock role, he cant play front row and take napa's spot

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Matterson is the plan B if they miss out on Piakura? I think Tbaz has his heart set on bringing in a big, damaging second rower in the Kikau mold.
Yes I agree but we should be able to afford both Matterson (in place of Napa but as an edge) and Paikura (to replace Jackson in near future). Can push up RFM to prop if needed as he's not really an edge runner anyway. I reckon Barrett will chase Naden also to replace Hopa. He's still unsigned and the Panthers just bought another centre.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree but we should be able to afford both Matterson (in place of Napa but as an edge) and Paikura (to replace Jackson in near future). Can push up RFM to prop if needed as he's not really an edge runner anyway. I reckon Barrett will chase Naden also to replace Hopa. He's still unsigned and the Panthers just bought another centre.
Just because we can afford them doesn’t mean we need both. It would be one or the other as they seem to be a very similar type of player. Topine and Doorey have plenty of potential and are different players with body types which gives you variety in the pack.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because we can afford them doesn’t mean we need both. It would be one or the other as they seem to be a very similar type of player. Topine and Doorey have plenty of potential and are different players with body types which gives you variety in the pack.
If we get rid of Napa we need another "big body" though to replace him (which Matterson is). Don't want to see our pack getting monstered by other packs losing field position because they're unable to get us out of our own end of the field. Topine and Doorey are a bit small

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we get rid of Napa we need another "big body" though to replace him (which Matterson is). Don't want to see our pack getting monstered by other packs losing field position because they're unable to get us out of our own end of the field. Topine and Doorey are a bit small
Replacing Napa is a separate issue I think we definitely need another 1 or 2 props. I wouldn’t want to play Matterson there. That’s what I mean having variety in the pack you have a big body second rower in Matterson or Piakura with a smaller player in Topine or Dorrey. Smaller body shapes are becoming more dangerous by the season.