Opinion Magic Round

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm missing out on a Bulldogs home game, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
My season ticket is now worth 8% less, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
The Donkeys are benefitting and we are suffering, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
The Donkeys sponsors are benefitting and our sponsors are suffering, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
etc

BTW it's a mankini.

Go Dogs
I live in QLD and rarely get to see the dogs play just like many other loyal dogs supporters!
you need to learn to share mate, we want some of the action!
is it a royal blue Mankini??

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness I will go to the magic round every year regardless of where it is played!
its the highlight of the season IMO, I had the best time.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Donkeys are benefitting and we are suffering, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
The Donkeys sponsors are benefitting and our sponsors are suffering, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
etc

BTW it's a mankini.

Go Dogs
As i no longer live in Sydney, I don;t pay as much attention to the draw as i used to, but the number of games you get in your season ticket used to change year on year anyway. One year I remember is was like 14 games once we included reciprocal games against Tigs and Souffs. other years its been like 11 when games were taken away to places like Mackay.

Swings and roundabouts TBH.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As i no longer live in Sydney, I don;t pay as much attention to the draw as i used to, but the number of games you get in your season ticket used to change year on year anyway. One year I remember is was like 14 games once we included reciprocal games against Tigs and Souffs. other years its been like 11 when games were taken away to places like Mackay.

Swings and roundabouts TBH.
I would have no problem with that (ie; a rotation) but there have been 3 Magic Rounds and we have lost a home game every single time. Of course last year's didn't happen but it was still a home game that we would have lost. This year we were supposed to be playing Canbra at home, instead we are playing them at Suncrap. No swings, or is it roundabouts, for us.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Perhaps the magic round would be better if it was split with a triple header in Sydney and a double header in Brisbane and a double header somewhere in between or maybe NZ.

Like TwinTurbo is saying it's great for Brisbane, but not so great for anyone that doesn't have time or the funds to get there. Doubling the crowds for an average game attendance might sound like a huge deal. But I'm sure that many of those in attendance probably got a deal on multiple days of football which might have meant NRL income wasn't really up by the average attendance rate of one game as it would seem. Applying what I assume to be logic to this I'd say that some part of that average 33,000 who attended were the same people from day to day which would mean that a large number of people who would have managed to get to games in Sydney missed out because they couldn't afford accomodation, time off work or just didn't think the effort of going was reward enough when they're only going to see their own team play once while having to pay travel costs and accommodation.

There will always be some people that are ultra keen to get away for four days of football, but there are likely plenty more who are pissed off about it too. I personally have a 6-7 hour each way drive to see a game anywhwere. It's generally more than a typical weekend allows me. For 100 minutes of entertainment I don't want 14 hours worth of driving. So I have no skin in the game in this instance. I'm not likely to be able to get the time off to get to the magic round. If I travel to see a game it'll be a home game in sydney where I can visit family at the same time. But overall this seems very much like it's a deal hugely in favor of Qld teams and businesses.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have no problem with that (ie; a rotation) but there have been 3 Magic Rounds and we have lost a home game every single time. Of course last year's didn't happen but it was still a home game that we would have lost. This year we were supposed to be playing Canbra at home, instead we are playing them at Suncrap. No swings, or is it roundabouts, for us.

Go Dogs
Perhaps the magic round would be better if it was split with a triple header in Sydney and a double header in Brisbane and a double header somewhere in between or maybe NZ.

Like TwinTurbo is saying it's great for Brisbane, but not so great for anyone that doesn't have time or the funds to get there. Doubling the crowds for an average game attendance might sound like a huge deal. But I'm sure that many of those in attendance probably got a deal on multiple days of football which might have meant NRL income wasn't really up by the average attendance rate of one game as it would seem. Applying what I assume to be logic to this I'd say that some part of that average 33,000 who attended were the same people from day to day which would mean that a large number of people who would have managed to get to games in Sydney missed out because they couldn't afford accomodation, time off work or just didn't think the effort of going was reward enough when they're only going to see their own team play once while having to pay travel costs and accommodation.

There will always be some people that are ultra keen to get away for four days of football, but there are likely plenty more who are pissed off about it too. I personally have a 6-7 hour each way drive to see a game anywhwere. It's generally more than a typical weekend allows me. For 100 minutes of entertainment I don't want 14 hours worth of driving. So I have no skin in the game in this instance. I'm not likely to be able to get the time off to get to the magic round. If I travel to see a game it'll be a home game in sydney where I can visit family at the same time. But overall this seems very much like it's a deal hugely in favor of Qld teams and businesses.
its not always going to be in Brisbane, they will move it around.
Pretty sure Bankwest will get the next 3 after 2022.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hate the so called "magic round", it's a useless marketing ploy that actually results in;
1. Less people attending games, net.
2. Teams losing home ground advantage (like us EVERY FARKIN TIME).
3. Has the potential to derail a team's season when a vital player gets injured playing on a surface that has suffered from multiple NRL games in 3 days.
4. Diminishes the value of season tickets.
5. Encourages players from different teams to "party" while they are all in the same locale and we all know how that turns out.
6. Where the fark is the "magic" in us possibly having to play 2 games at Suncorp.
7. Brisbane get home ground advantage for a round that otherwise might have been an away game.
8. Removes another opportunity for fans to watch all 3 grades of their team play on the same day.
9. Considering the open, close, open, close, etc Qld border, who in the in their right mind is going to risk PalaceChook doing it again so that the Qld teams get even more of an advantage.
10. Journalists love it because they don't have to travel to games, they can all hang out in the same bar, getting pissed, then share a limo to the games and write even more bullshit (as if that's possible).
11.Did I mention that I hate the useless "magic round".

Go Dogs
Brisbane love it because it is a win- win for them.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My only problem with the Magic Round is the unfair allocation of which teams forfeit a home game.

Manly for example have been the home team playing the Broncos on 2 occasions.

If you forfeit a home game to the Magic Round one year you should play the same team the following year with the opponents being the home team.

Just another example of NRL inefficiency. Or is it another example of which teams are in favour or not.

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Given that you have a season ticket, I assume your in Sydney, so you have the option to attend away games against the the other Sydney teams. Yeah ok you'd have to pay for extra ticket, but consider my options, I drive 400klm to attend cowboys home games & if wanted to attend an away game then that becomes a costly exercise.
Apart from you missing 1 home game, you don't really lose to much.

The big picture is always bigger than individuals

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Given that you have a season ticket, I assume your in Sydney, so you have the option to attend away games against the the other Sydney teams. Yeah ok you'd have to pay for extra ticket, but consider my options, I drive 400klm to attend cowboys home games & if wanted to attend an away game then that becomes a costly exercise.
Apart from you missing 1 home game, you don't really lose to much.

The big picture is always bigger than individuals
I think you missed the point, every Magic Round we have forfeited a home game, yes I know last year's magic round didn't happen but we were scheduled to miss out on a home game. I hate Qld, especially the Donkeys, so anything that helps them is just not on.

Most importantly I don't give a rats about the big picture, it's all about me ......... me ............ me ..........

Go Dogs

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm no "QUEENSLAMDER!" but Tbh, in Sydney you get an average of about 4 games a week plus the grand final. Magic Round is just one round a year that gives fans up here chance to see some extra footy.