Sam Burgess MEGATHREAD

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been reported on TC yet

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does Burgess still have his role at Souths as a junior development officer or whatever it was? What a role model for those juniors to have...

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burgess was due to collect his young children 30 minutes after allegedly returning a positive cocaine drug test

Sam Burgess was on the way to collect his young children when he was pulled over by police and allegedly returned a positive drug test for cocaine. NSW Police confirmed the former Rabbitohs player tested positive to cocaine during a random roadside drug test and said in a statement he was driving an unregistered car without a license.

The Australian can reveal Burgess was originally meant to collect his children, Poppy, 4, and Billy, 2, at 9am on Monday.

It is understood he missed the collection time and a second pick-up time of 2pm was arranged.

But half an hour before he was due to collect his children, NSW Police pulled him over at 1.30pm on the Hume Highway at Braemar.

“Officers from the Hume traffic and highway patrol were conducting traffic enforcement duties on the Hume Highway at Braemar when they stopped a BMW X5 and spoke to the driver, a 32-year-old man,” a NSW Police spokesman said.

“He was subjected to a random roadside drug test before being taken to Southern Highlands police station where he underwent a secondary oral fluid test. A sample has been sent for further analysis.

“He is due to appear in Moss Vale Local Court on Tuesday 4th May 2021.”

NSW Police said the man had not obtained a driver’s license and was driving an unregistered car.

Burgess was earlier this month found guilty of intimidating his ex-father in law, Mitch Hooke, during an altercation at his Bowral property.

It comes after an investigation in The Australian in October last year exposed allegations of drug-use and domestic violence by the former NRL star.

The Australian reported Burgess has paid up to $25,000 a week into betting apps, waited outside the home of a rival footballer who he blamed for exposing a sexting scandal and discussed wanting to assault him, boasting: “I will get him when I retire.”

The Australian also revealed details of an alleged drug-fuelled bender when a doctor linked to the South Sydney Rabbitohs Club used tranquilliser to sedate Burgess.

It was during this bender that Burgess allegedly was violent towards his now ex-wife Phoebe Burgess, who was 8 months pregnant at the time.

Phoebe Burgess and her family declined to comment.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does Burgess still have his role at Souths as a junior development officer or whatever it was? What a role model for those juniors to have...
I'll be surprised if he's still on the foxsports panel after this.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if he's still on the foxsports panel after this.
I wouldn't! They have Matt Johns and Finchy on there as well as Fletch, Wendell etc who have all had numerous incidents.. They should stand him down but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. That's the culture they want at Fox and 9 it seems.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Burgess is a train wreck. It won't end well for him at the rate he's going. I'm sure Fox will keep him on with the other drug fucked hosts like Johns, Finch, Fletcher etc as if nothing has happened. Scarface would run out of coke to supply when those guys hit the town..
I wonder if the NRL will put pressure on Fox to keep him off their telecasts.

Burgess didn't learn his lesson from the recent experience in court. If you keep getting charged with offences one will eventually stick. Teflon then won't save you.

Nothing between his ears.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder if the NRL will put pressure on Fox to keep him off their telecasts.

Burgess didn't learn his lesson from the recent experience in court. If you keep getting charged with offences one will eventually stick. Teflon then won't save you.

Nothing between his ears.
I doubt it. They're the ones (albeit while Greenberg was in charge) that swept so much under the carpet and bent the rules for Burgess and Souths.. They continually put him on a pedestal as if he was an ornament to the game.

He certainly needs to be removed from any role he has with Souths, Fox or 9 for a while as he's a stain on the code right now.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I read on Twitter that he never had a NSW driver's license and his car was unregistered lol....

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt it. They're the ones (albeit while Greenberg was in charge) that swept so much under the carpet and bent the rules for Burgess and Souths.. They continually put him on a pedestal as if he was an ornament to the game.

He certainly needs to be removed from any role he has with Souths, Fox or 9 for a while as he's a stain on the code right now.
Yeah I agree rr. I hate how he has been put on a pedestal too. A first class thug on the field and while he got a lot of suspensions he got off on occasions too. I hope vlandys steps up and puts the pressure on fox to remove him from our screens.