Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Is this avoided tradegy more pilot skill or more technology?
Good question. In this case I’d say some luck it happened close to departure so they could return quickly. In the middle of the ocean (they were going to Hawaii) there’s less options but those aircraft can fly safely on one engine and crews do train for engine failures in the sim every 6 months. In terms of tech, this particular frame is the 5th B777 ever built (1995) so it’s getting on (aren’t we all :-)). Pretty sure UA are replacing B777 with A350 which was deferred by Covid but after this there might be a rethink...

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this avoided tradegy more pilot skill or more technology?
Combination of both. Plane has built in safety systems, and pilots are trained how to respond. Anything could go wrong, and this is where a cool head and experience will save lives. Brilliant effort by all crew -including cabin staff who have to keep passengers reassured and secure.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good question. In this case I’d say some luck it happened close to departure so they could return quickly. In the middle of the ocean (they were going to Hawaii) there’s less options but those aircraft can fly safely on one engine and crews do train for engine failures in the sim every 6 months. In terms of tech, this particular frame is the 5th B777 ever built (1995) so it’s getting on (aren’t we all :-)). Pretty sure UA are replacing B777 with A350 which was deferred by Covid but after this there might be a rethink...
Always the risk that debris could affect the controls on the wing, break fuel lines, or rip the fuselage open. Scary moments until the crew can ascertain what damage has occurred.

I've had a few scary moments in the air, but only once where there was a mechanical problem - landing gear didn't confirm it had locked, coming into Johannesburg; but held when we did touch down, after a couple of aborted passes, and a near collision with a goose who taxied a Cessna into our path.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Always the risk that debris could affect the controls on the wing, break fuel lines, or rip the fuselage open. Scary moments until the crew can ascertain what damage has occurred.

I've had a few scary moments in the air, but only once where there was a mechanical problem - landing gear didn't confirm it had locked, coming into Johannesburg; but held when we did touch down, after a couple of aborted passes, and a near collision with a goose who taxied a Cessna into our path.
Yep, like QF32 in 2010 - could’ve easily ended in disaster if not for the skill of the crew. 18 months for repairs tells you how badly the craft was damaged (though some of that time was also confirming the cause and compensation from Rolls Royce).

Same. In hundreds of flights over 22 years (pre-Rona) of regular business travel, apart from weather/turbulence I’ve only had one disruptive passenger and one diversion due to a heart attack. Other than that my biggest problem has been first world - like once when they ran out of lamb pies before they got to me - now that’s disastrous! :-).

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

You need to write a book on your travels? Would be pretty interesting i bet

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, like QF32 in 2010 - could’ve easily ended in disaster if not for the skill of the crew. 18 months for repairs tells you how badly the craft was damaged (though some of that time was also confirming the cause and compensation from Rolls Royce).

Same. In hundreds of flights over 22 years (pre-Rona) of regular business travel, apart from weather/turbulence I’ve only had one disruptive passenger and one diversion due to a heart attack. Other than that my biggest problem has been first world - like once when they ran out of lamb pies before they got to me - now that’s disastrous! :-).
Done the Red eye from Perth many of times you can get extra food get 3 seats for yourself enough pillows and blankets to build a fort and pretend you're first class.
It's glorious

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to write a book on your travels? Would be pretty interesting i bet
It'd be a pretty dull read. I've met people who have done really amazing things - like trekking across the Antarctic, or surviving twice in the North Sea mid winter (having their ships sunk on WWII convoys to Russia), or piloting helicopters in Vietnam and PNG highlands. My own old man was behind Japanese lines in PNG, and his mate survived the Burma Railway. A few incidents on commercial planes are nothing compared to them.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

There was a time when the RR logo on the engines was a guarantee for safe flying.

I pre-order my meals, so I know they won't run out.