'On ice': Hamstring injury has Turbo cooling his jets until round four

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic has suffered a pre-season training mishap and scans have revealed a grade-two tear to his right hamstring, meaning he will be unavailable until at least round four.

The Sea Eagles, who will have a trial on Sunday against Wests Tigers, issued a statement on Monday to say this latest injury to his right hamstring is a new one and is not related to previous problems to his left hamstring.

"I’m devasted by what’s happened. I will be working hard with the rehab team to get the hamstring right," Trbojevic said.

When asked by told NRL.com at the Fox League launch on Thursday, Trbojevic was cautious about the start of the season, saying he would "stay on ice" for the trial this weekend.

With Manase Fainu sidelined, Kieran Foran returning and Josh Schuster on the rise plus playmakers Lachie Croker and Cade Cust showing positive signs last year, who takes over the dummy-half duties and who partners Daly Cherry-Evans in the halves will have a big bearing on Manly's success this season.

"I'm not too sure yet (what the spine will look like), there's still a bit of time," Trbojevic added.

"It's lucky we've got options. Obviously hooker's going to be an interesting one, you've got Lachie Croker training well there. It will be interesting.

"It's good to have options and I think we've got that in abundance so we'll keep training for a few weeks, get everyone some footy then we can really see how we go.

"There's always optimism this time of year. Everyone's training well, everyone's fit, that's all you can ask for. We're a month away from footy so we're all keen and ripping in."

Trbojevic was just making his way into first grade as a winger in Foran's last year at Manly in 2015 and is relishing the chance to reunite with the 2011 premiership winner.

"It's pretty awesome having him back. He's a club legend. He fits the maroon and white so it's good to have him," he said.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all thought it would happen but before the first game! oh oh too many eggs in one basket at Manly.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Potentially best player in the game. Hope he can get things right
Like SBW who was injured a lot earlier in his career, I reckon he can manage his injuries and become the best in his position and possibly in the game. Imagine if Barrett can bring him over once he's off contract.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I called this when people wanted us to chase Tom and Jake. Tom's hamstrings are made of play dough and Jake has become very pedestrian the last few seasons.

I feel bad for Tom, but I'm glad Manly wasted so much money on a player who misses more games than he plays.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
now for Foran to get injured by round 3 and season over for manly.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Feel for the kid. Really hope he gets past his injuries and reaches his full potential. The only player at Manly that I like.... NSW will win Origin if he's fit and firing.
Unfortunately chronic hamstring injuries plague certain players for years and can lead to other injuries as well. A player like Foran can play through it later in his career as he doesn't rely on acceleration and pace so much.

But for a fullback like Turbo, it can derail his career. I hope that doesn't happen and he can stay healthy but having another hamstring setback in training just before the season is a very worrying sign considering how many games he's missed the last few seasons.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘Rattled’ Trbojevic tore hamstring slipping ‘over in the bathroom’ in big Sea Eagles blow

Manly’s Tom Trbojevic has been hit with a fresh injury blow, with the star fullback tearing a hamstring which will force him to miss at least the first three rounds of the 2021 season. He revealed on Monday he suffered the latest injury slipping over in the bathroom. It’s the opposite hamstring to the one he seriously injured last year while playing.
Trbojevic has been plagued by hamstring injuries over the last two years, and was ruled out of last year’s end-of-season State of Origin series with a shoulder complaint.
Now as he makes his way back to full fitness the club confirmed Trbojevic would be forced to sit out the start of the season and would not be back until Round 4 at the earliest.
The fullback has a grade two hamstring tear and the injury, Manly said, “is the result of an innocuous accident” adding “the right hamstring is a new injury and is not related to previous injuries to his left hamstring”.
The blow now leaves Des Hasler looking for a fullback ahead of Round 1.
“I’m devastated by what’s happened. I will be working hard with the rehab team to get the hamstring right,’’ Trbojevic said.
Elsewhere, Broncos winger Dale Copley suffered a injury to his throat in the club’s trial with Wynumm and will be forced to miss six weeks of contact.
Copley under went a “laryngoscopy which showed significant trauma to the throat and swelling in his airway” according to the club.
Broncos head of performance Andrew Croll said: “Dale must rest from all exercise for at least a week and will have another laryngoscopy to determine if he needs surgery.
“He will need at least 6 weeks out of contact, and we will have to see how it settles to determine on when he can return to low intensity exercise.”

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I called this when people wanted us to chase Tom and Jake. Tom's hamstrings are made of play dough and Jake has become very pedestrian the last few seasons.

I feel bad for Tom, but I'm glad Manly wasted so much money on a player who misses more games than he plays.
Jake has been Desballed. Was great when playing under Barrett.