Facebook called the bluff lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So I wouldn't assume that Murdochs pay TV empire is dying but I think that when the Covid issue is overcome round the world most of the streaming services will see a massive loss in income.
Some fair comments Al.
I’ve never had Foxtel so can’t comment on contracts but I’ve heard similar stories. To me though it sounds no different to phone plans or mortgage rates - there’s always new offers to lure new customers and the ‘loyal’ customers pay more so Foxtel aren’t alone there. But I agree - pre-Kayo I was happy to go to the pub if I couldn’t go to the game (sometimes still do).

As for content - it’s an expensive business. You either license it or make it. The latter is much more expensive but that’s what Netflix choose. They were innovative - got out of the DVD mailing business and into streaming early but they only do one thing just like Facebook so lack of diversity could hurt when the next market shift comes (and it always does). I agree that post Covid will be interesting to watch (pardon the pun). With lockdown the streamers would’ve done well but retention may be an issue - as you said there’s plenty of non-loyal customers who will simply cancel.

Never a dull moment!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Streaming services will definitely lose profits after the pandemic, but Netflix will never die. It's the best streaming service there is. The others will likely collapse one day though as they can't really compete with Netflix with the exception of Hulu.

I think Kayo will be fine too. Foxtel will collapse but Kayo will be fine because it's still holding a monopoly on many of the sports.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Streaming services will definitely lose profits after the pandemic, but Netflix will never die. It's the best streaming service there is. The others will likely collapse one day though as they can't really compete with Netflix with the exception of Hulu.

I think Kayo will be fine too. Foxtel will collapse but Kayo will be fine because it's still holding a monopoly on many of the sports.
It’s not a matter of whether Netflix will ‘die’ or how good the product is. The question is they’re burning massive amounts of cash in producing content and to now their strategy to raise that cash was to raise their pricing (sorry for the graph :-)):
E5F615BF-4B4A-465D-B422-69F985197003.jpeg

They don’t have the same luxury anymore. In the US (their biggest market) there’s growing lower priced competition with quality content - Peacock from NBCUniversal being the latest and more coming (expect a push from WarnerBros beyond HBOMax soon enough). Things change. 20 years ago very few would’ve believed Blockbuster would no longer exist.

Foxtel won’t ‘die’ - and that’s what I’ve been saying to @Rodzilla. They’ll transition because the market demands it and that’s what’s happening now. Sooner or later I bet Streamotion offer Kayo and Binge as a bundle too. It’s dog eat dog - and Netflix triggered that when they chose to do original content.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wonder how many Facebook shares this guy has :-).
He contradicted himself in a single breath.
First he said 'News is not valuable - it's less than 4% of the traffic on Facebook.'
Then he says: 'It would be a shame and tragic if they got rid of news' as some sort of defence for the little guy.
Which's one's it gonna be Jeff - you can't have it both ways - does Facebook stand its ground and hurt the little guy or does it do a deal and keep news on their platform even though it's of little value to them?
Like I said - win a battle but lose the war...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Former AU/NZ Facebook CEO Stephen Scheeler calls on users to delete the social media app:
'For Facebook and Mark it’s too much about the money and the power, and not about the good' So true.
One of Facebook's key problems is the lack of separation of Church and State. Zuckerberg rules it with an iron fist.
Slightly more tempered version here, but still the same message:
'By using its enormous power intentionally, Facebook may have made it impossible for the world to continue ignoring that it has that power'.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Former AU/NZ Facebook CEO Stephen Scheeler calls on users to delete the social media app:
'For Facebook and Mark it’s too much about the money and the power, and not about the good' So true.
One of Facebook's key problems is the lack of separation of Church and State. Zuckerberg rules it with an iron fist.
Slightly more tempered version here, but still the same message:
'By using its enormous power intentionally, Facebook may have made it impossible for the world to continue ignoring that it has that power'.
I read the second article and agree.

I don't imagine many people are blindly defending Zuckerberg or FB. They are serious disruptors and have terrible influence and power.

It's the hypocracy I disagree with regarding Govt support for Murdoch and our other media barons who are no better, and def worse over many years, in interfering with Australian politics and our daily lives. I don't see any difference between the whole media playing field between them and Zuckerberg, Google. They are all corrupt with power.

Our Govt should not be taking up this challenge, nor spend the time, when, for instance, they can't even conduct an enquiry into an alleged rape on the Defence Minister's couch and honestly deal with it.

Please don't twist my basic points with other red herrings and other tactics :grinning:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I read the second article and agree.

I don't imagine many people are blindly defending Zuckerberg or FB. They are serious disruptors and have terrible influence and power.

It's the hypocracy I disagree with regarding Govt support for Murdoch and our other media barons who are no better, and def worse over many years, in interfering with Australian politics and our daily lives. I don't see any difference between the whole media playing field between them and Zuckerberg, Google. They are all corrupt with power.

Our Govt should not be taking up this challenge, nor spend the time, when, for instance, they can't even conduct an enquiry into an alleged rape on the Defence Minister's couch and honestly deal with it.

Please don't twist my basic points with other red herrings and other tactics :grinning:
There's no red herrings or tactics Wendy.
The bottom line is traditional media companies have had to work within regulations for decades.
Internet companies largely have not.
That time is now coming.
If they have to comply with regulation they too will start lobbying heavily for outcomes favourable to them.
Up to now they've been keeping a low profile to try to avoid the regulation.
That's all there really is to it.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There's no red herrings Wendy.
The bottom line is traditional media companies have had to work within regulations for decades.
Internet companies largely have not. That time is now coming. That's all there really is to it.
Truth in reporting is a good regulation I'd support.

We don't have that currently, no matter who is presenting news to us and that should be our Govt priority.

Not Govt regulation demanding payment moneys to Big Media leaving small independent media to fend for themselves.

This legislation is craftily fashioned to hurt small media.

The only news we will hear about in the future is Murdoch, Kerry Stokes' support for whichever Govt will act in their most duplicitous favour.

There are many facets to this legislation that will have far reaching effects that won't help Australians. Anyway just my opinion.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Facebook is going to lose this battle as soon as everyone gets the COVID vaccine and the government activates the computer chips in everyone

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Facebook is going to lose this battle as soon as everyone gets the COVID vaccine and the government activates the computer chips in everyone
The chips won't work 'cause 5G hasn't been rolled out everywhere. The government messed up their own mind control plan when they opted for wired NBN.