News 'A second team in Brisbane by 2023': V'landys confirms NRL expansion bombshell

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its easy to go with the status quo and just have teams in the heartland areas but the game will not grow. I really think the NRL has to aggressively pursue a truly national comp, especially now given the AFL has already thrown down the gauntlet. There are a lot of good points raised above and I think pulling them together is the answer.

Both Perth and Adelaide did well in terms of crowds and support when they were in the comp and they should have never been axed. Even with few wins the Rams pulled in 9,000-10,000 per game. I felt they were simply victims of the games reunification which was a short sighted approach.

I'd look at the following timeline, teams and steps. Each stage would include a stronghold team and a new market team.

2023 - Brisbane 2nd team and Perth

2027 - Adelaide + NZ 2nd team

2031 - Central Coast + Hobart - Rrisky but we'd beat the AFL to it. If Hobart failed I'd replace them with either a regional Western NSW or NorthCoast NSW team.

For the 2027 and 2031 teams, they could come in 3 years prior as a NSW Cup or Qld Cup side before becoming NRL teams. Alternatively they could include other lower grade junior competition sides. All of the teams could be initially based in NSW,or Qld if needed, to start young players coming through prior to their NRL launch. Invite those other new states to various knockout competions as well.

Salary cap provisions would need to be made to help the new city teams as well. Eg 2 or 3 veterans and or marquee players could be allowed with no value on the cap which brings in experienced and key players.

Should a Sydney team die out or offer to relocate then this may adjust the timelines. I think the NRL needs to go hard as it will help invigorate the game with a new and exciting national competition.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ideally the central coast, NZ and Perth would be good locations. The Titans aren't that strongly supported and I think a second Brisbane team might struggle to compete for supporters too.
But what if that team was Redcliffe or Easts Tigers who already have a strong supporter base?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its easy to go with the status quo and just have teams in the heartland areas but the game will not grow. I really think the NRL has to aggressively pursue a truly national comp, especially now given the AFL has already thrown down the gauntlet. There are a lot of good points raised above and I think pulling them together is the answer.

Both Perth and Adelaide did well in terms of crowds and support when they were in the comp and they should have never been axed. Even with few wins the Rams pulled in 9,000-10,000 per game. I felt they were simply victims of the games reunification which was a short sighted approach.

I'd look at the following timeline, teams and steps. Each stage would include a stronghold team and a new market team.

2023 - Brisbane 2nd team and Perth

2027 - Adelaide + NZ 2nd team

2031 - Central Coast + Hobart - Rrisky but we'd beat the AFL to it. If Hobart failed I'd replace them with either a regional Western NSW or NorthCoast NSW team.

For the 2027 and 2031 teams, they could come in 3 years prior as a NSW Cup or Qld Cup side before becoming NRL teams. Alternatively they could include other lower grade junior competition sides. All of the teams could be initially based in NSW,or Qld if needed, to start young players coming through prior to their NRL launch. Invite those other new states to various knockout competions as well.

Salary cap provisions would need to be made to help the new city teams as well. Eg 2 or 3 veterans and or marquee players could be allowed with no value on the cap which brings in experienced and key players.

Should a Sydney team die out or offer to relocate then this may adjust the timelines. I think the NRL needs to go hard as it will help invigorate the game with a new and exciting national competition.
I am with you up until 2031. If a true Central Coast team could demonstrate a supporter base , then yes, but I think a Central Queensland team or maybe a Central West NSW team might be better than a Hobart team. It was said earlier that there isn't enough talent, which was said many times before teams were added. If you choose the right areas, there are players who do not want to move to Brisbane or Sydney who would be good enough to play but want to stay closer to home. Ewan McGrady a Rothmans Medallist almost didn't come. He only came to the Bulldogs when we signed the Ryan bothers. The Raiders & Cowboys have benefitted from this for 2 examples.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But what if that team was Redcliffe or Easts Tigers who already have a strong supporter base?
No doubt some of these teams do have local support. But the quantity of supporters is a big question. I mean some of them might support Redclife or Easts Tigers as a secondary interest after following the Broncos.

I still think that getting strong rosters together is going to be vital to success in the early stages than supporters. Supporters are a medium term concern. A strong team will generate supporter more easily than a team that get flogged every week for two years.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wanna get money into the game, and a bigger fan base expand into the USA.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A team made up of all the reject stars that never amounted to anything...

See ya Lewis an co :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been touted before and never got off the ground. Will be interesting to see if this one does.
Crushers? But yeah I know what you mean. I remember going to watch a Dogs trial game at Suncorp Stadium in about 2014 (vs Storm I think) and I remember there was a big marketing campaign on the day by whoever wanted to be the 2nd Brisbane team at that point in time. I think it was the Bombers mob.

Personally, I don't think there's enough first grade quality players for anything more than a 12 or 14 team comp. There's already too many bog-standard games each week.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crushers? But yeah I know what you mean. I remember going to watch a Dogs trial game at Suncorp Stadium in about 2014 (vs Storm I think) and I remember there was a big marketing campaign on the day by whoever wanted to be the 2nd Brisbane team at that point in time. I think it was the Bombers mob.

Personally, I don't think there's enough first grade quality players for anything more than a 12 or 14 team comp. There's already too many bog-standard games each week.
That's a very valid point. Talent dilution is a major concern to expanding franchises else they'll be perennial losers.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's a very valid point. Talent dilution is a major concern to expanding franchises else they'll be perennial losers.
There 16 NRL clubs with 30 players on each roster, that's 480 players of which only 272 get an NRL game each week, that leaves 208 players of which only 17 (8%) are needed to field a new team. On average 10 players from each team every year have contract renewals, that's 160 players available every year. Finding 17 + 13 pretty decent players for a new team is not that hard.

Plus a new club would attract junior players to continue playing RL that are put off by the limited opportunities in an area like Brisbane with only 1 team.

I think we have all heard it (talent dilution) before when Penrith and Cronulla were admitted, again when Canbra were admitted, yet again when the Cowboys were admitted, Melbourne and the Warriors. All of the Kiwi players were supposed to play for them leaving none for other teams, strangely that hasn't happened, there's more Kiwi players than ever. More teams = more opportunities for players = more players.

If the "talent dilution" is the Donkeys then quite frankly is about farkin time.

Go Dogs

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am with you up until 2031. If a true Central Coast team could demonstrate a supporter base , then yes, but I think a Central Queensland team or maybe a Central West NSW team might be better than a Hobart team. It was said earlier that there isn't enough talent, which was said many times before teams were added. If you choose the right areas, there are players who do not want to move to Brisbane or Sydney who would be good enough to play but want to stay closer to home. Ewan McGrady a Rothmans Medallist almost didn't come. He only came to the Bulldogs when we signed the Ryan bothers. The Raiders & Cowboys have benefitted from this for 2 examples.
Yeah I could go either way with Hobart, had been thinking purely for the commercial opportunity more than anything as they have no teams in any national comp except T20. Would definitely can that idea though if another football code gets there first.

Definitely see the merits in a country/regional team.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wanna get money into the game, and a bigger fan base expand into the USA.
Years ago USA played Russia in Russia and got a crowd of over 40,000. They played a few times in both countries. In saying that their future is Nth America perhaps via UK super league (like Toronto). Flights are much shorter and cheaper.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Can't call them straight Brisbane breeds to have the slogan nth East South or west

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago USA played Russia in Russia and got a crowd of over 40,000. They played a few times in both countries. In saying that their future is Nth America perhaps via UK super league (like Toronto). Flights are much shorter and cheaper.
Could always do one team in both USA and UK and have 2 teams travel across at time for 2 weeks, playing holiday.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently Brisbane Bombers and Ipswich Jets have combined their bid....This is going to be interesting

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could always do one team in both USA and UK and have 2 teams travel across at time for 2 weeks, playing holiday.
I'd love to see them involved but think most NRL clubs would only be ok if they were based over here or nearby.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There 16 NRL clubs with 30 players on each roster, that's 480 players of which only 272 get an NRL game each week, that leaves 208 players of which only 17 (8%) are needed to field a new team. On average 10 players from each team every year have contract renewals, that's 160 players available every year. Finding 17 + 13 pretty decent players for a new team is not that hard.

Plus a new club would attract junior players to continue playing RL that are put off by the limited opportunities in an area like Brisbane with only 1 team.

I think we have all heard it (talent dilution) before when Penrith and Cronulla were admitted, again when Canbra were admitted, yet again when the Cowboys were admitted, Melbourne and the Warriors. All of the Kiwi players were supposed to play for them leaving none for other teams, strangely that hasn't happened, there's more Kiwi players than ever. More teams = more opportunities for players = more players.

If the "talent dilution" is the Donkeys then quite frankly is about farkin time.

Go Dogs
Again valid points, but a brand new franchise fielding a squad from those 208 would struggle to be competitive for a long time. In this cut throat business, how long before that struggle is deemed a failure? If we get a new franchise I want it competitive and successful immediately as that's how you grow the code and that's what new franchises are all about. And we're only talking players here, a new franchise had better have it's front office in order. I've heard Shane Richardson is on board with this second Brissy team and while I despise turkey neck, he's a shrewd operator and should have them organised in that regard.

A second team will affect the donkeys no doubt, but they haven't had the recruitment dominance they once had since the Thoroughbreds were disbanded.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently Brisbane Bombers and Ipswich Jets have combined their bid....This is going to be interesting
That will probably do it. Maybe Redcliffe Dolphins should link with the Sunshine Coast Falcons..

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A second team will affect the donkeys no doubt, but they haven't had the recruitment dominance they once had since the Thoroughbreds were disbanded.
Should also slow down Melbourne's cherry picking from SE Qld, so it's a win win.

Go Dogs

Gawd_Dawg_BB

Banned
Reaction score
You need 18 teams with the bottom two sides on the ladder dropping out each year like the EPL