News Israel Folau on the verge of NRL return as Dragons submit application for two-year deal

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Shows how desperate dragons are. Maybe they’re doing it for the publicity...What a sad day for the club.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sucks to be the NRL right now. Are there criminal laws that this guy has broken that legally prevents the NRL from registering his contract? If they don't register his contract can he sue for religious discrimination? Say he does get registered and he quotes lines from his favorite authors but the minute he copy pastes a texts specifically from the Bible on his private insta page does he get banned? Any lawyers on here?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Alan Jones hit the nail on head about Folau here in August:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How ironic that he was banned to return to the NRL doe his “controversial” beliefs, but turds like Matt Lodge are allowed to play. Many NRL a have done far worse and have been allowed to play .
I'm not justifying what Folau said, those are his views, but what’s worse ? Folau’s religious beliefs or Lodge‘s criminal rampage when he was in NY.
If it were my choice neither would be allowed near the game. I'd wipe out anyone who had committed an act of domestic violence too.

In almost every manner of religion that I've looked into it's supposed to be god that judges. Almost every deeply religious person I know is a judgemental motherfucker. I don't despise them for this. I'm judgemental about certain things too. But I do recognise hypocrisy when I see it. And I honestly don't think sexuality is a choice. So I lose respect for religious people who are of the opinion that they should be the guardians against it.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Must be good to play God looking down with condescending attitude and pass judgement on a minority group publicly.
It was naïve assessment anyway.
Let the fooker play footy.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally think he is well past his prime, and is trying to make some last minute $$ as his career draws to a close.

Legally speaking though - can the NRL block his pathway to playing here in Australia? That would be interesting to know. A West Tigers director (also a certified lawyer) implied the NRL would be hard pressed legally to reject him from the game.

I am completely off on the bloke for the way that whole ordeal was handled - but it really does put the NRL in dicey territory.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally think he is well past his prime, and is trying to make some last minute $$ as his career draws to a close.

Legally speaking though - can the NRL block his pathway to playing here in Australia? That would be interesting to know. A West Tigers director (also a certified lawyer) implied the NRL would be hard pressed legally to reject him from the game.

I am completely off on the bloke for the way that whole ordeal was handled - but it really does put the NRL in dicey territory.
Makes you wonder how little his settlement with Rugby Australia actually was. Clearly was nowhere near what some were trying to suggest.

If I was given 10 million dollars I'd ride off into the sunset never to be seen again.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think the manner in which Folau went about expressing his faith was a good one (especially since his faith speaks of love, repentance, that his very saviour sacrificed himself for our sins etc.) but he is entitled to his views and to attack him now, to preclude him from playing, is a slippery slope the game does not want to ride --> eg. wife beaters, drug cheats, ex-convicts, gambling degenerates, drunk drivers etc. are all welcome or will be forgiven but Christians must be banished

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i cant believe the dragons are trying this
has to just be kite flying to see the reaction?
Yeah hes good but not worth the public backlash for what he will provide

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Folau will still be on par with some of the centres going around today. He has lost a bit of pace but is still very strong and can get outside his opposite to setup his winger plus he's still great in the air.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shows you his desperate the Dragons are now! I just don’t think it’s worth all the drama to have their name dragged through the mud for a 32 year old back that last played NRL 10 years ago.

I can see the appointment of Griffin ending in tears and it couldn’t happen to a better club. For years the Dragons and their fans have had a arrogance about them like their shit doesn’t stink and they would look down their noses at other clubs when “scandal” would break. That has all be shattered over the last few years.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shows you his desperate the Dragons are now! I just don’t think it’s worth all the drama to have their name dragged through the mud for a 32 year old back that last played NRL 10 years ago.

I can see the appointment of Griffin ending in tears and it couldn’t happen to a better club. For years the Dragons and their fans have had a arrogance about them like their shit doesn’t stink and they would look down their noses at other clubs when “scandal” would break. That has all be shattered over the last few years.
Yep
As i said before they wont be calling us gang rapists anymore haha

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Well considering that Israel has not broken any laws, it would be hard for them to find a legal way to block his return. In fact considering our Freedom of Religion laws, it would be hard-pressed for them you use his views as a reason to block him.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This could turn into an absolute shit show.

If the NRL allow him in, there will probably be a tonne of clauses in his contract related to social media and the like.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Makes you wonder how little his settlement with Rugby Australia actually was. Clearly was nowhere near what some were trying to suggest.

If I was given 10 million dollars I'd ride off into the sunset never to be seen again.
I doubt it was 10 million mate, but most outlets are reporting it to be in the 7 figure region. I have seen 10, up to 14, but most around the 6-8 mark.

Either way - it was a substantial payout.