News Israel Folau on the verge of NRL return as Dragons submit application for two-year deal

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
St George Illawarra have submitted a formal application to the NRL in the hope of signing Israel Folau on a two-year deal.

The Herald can reveal the Dragons have formally approached the NRL about acquiring Folau's services from this season to play in the centres, with the governing body set to consider allowing the dual international to return to the sport.
ARLC chairman Peter V'landys previously indicated the door was all but shut on Folau to return to the sport after the controversy surrounding his religious beliefs during his time in rugby union.

However the NRL has recently indicated to the Dragons that it will consider the application and will not make a decision until they have reviewed the proposal and spoken to the relevant parties.

The Dragons board has approved the approach, while the club has also informed its major sponsors of its intention to sign Folau. St George Illawarra chief executive Ryan Webb confirmed the club was in the process of luring the former Queensland and Australian representative to the Dragons.

“We are always on the lookout for great players,” Webb told the Herald. “We have enquired with the NRL about Israel and we will work with them to hopefully see him join us in 2021.

"We understand there will be a range of opinions in regards to this decision, but we believe he would be a good addition to our club."

Folau was meant to play for Catalans in the Super League this year, but returned home over the summer after the birth of his first child.
When V'landys was appointed as chair of the commission, he was asked about the prospect of allowing Folau back into the sport.

"The game is inclusive. Israel's comments are not inclusive," V'landys said at the time. "When I was a kid and kids used to get bashed up because they were different, I used to go and defend them. And a lot of them, it's because their role models or their peers made them that way.

"I have no tolerance for people that put other people's lives [at risk] or [commit] violence. It's a big statement to make. With due respect to Israel, what he says, young kids listen to. He is a role model. They act on it. And when you're a kid at school and you get bashed up because you're different, I don't think that's a good thing."

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care much about his homophobic views but the guy left the NRL for a different code and was their marketing tool to convert people to AFL. NRL should tell him to get fucked..
The last organisation anybody should be loyal to is the bush league known as the NRL.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yes i'm in the zero fucks given camp too, too old now as stated.Vlandy's might arsehole the request anyway that would be funny :laughing:

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not too fussed either way , but I’d suggest there be something in his contact re social media
Don’t think he has any convictions so the NRL probably has to register him

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good luck to him. Great player, entitled to his views. Hope it gets signed off on and we get to watch him again. If there’s a code of conduct he agrees to so be it.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How ironic that he was banned to return to the NRL due to his “controversial” beliefs, but turds like Matt Lodge are allowed to play. Many NRL players have done far worse and have been allowed to play .
I'm not justifying what Folau said, those are his views, but what’s worse ? Folau’s religious beliefs or Lodge‘s criminal rampage when he was in NY.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How ironic that he was banned to return to the NRL doe his “controversial” beliefs, but turds like Matt Lodge are allowed to play. Many NRL a have done far worse and have been allowed to play .
I'm not justifying what Folau said, those are his views, but what’s worse ? Folau’s religious beliefs or Lodge‘s criminal rampage when he was in NY.
I think the difference is that Lodge apologised and seeked out counselling. Folau refused to apologise and told everyone that they are wrong.

I understand where his beliefs are coming from but you also have to see where the NRL is coming from. It's equivalent to a player racially abusing people then refusing to apologise for it. He can stick to his religious beliefs but as long as he's vocal about it then it's just going to cause problems.

If he just said, "no comment", then there probably wouldn't be an issue for anyone.