Bee Gees, how good were they.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its no secret. I am a huge music lover. Metallica being huge to me, and in general my musical preferance is louder agressive styles.

But the Bee Gees,
Wow, just wow.
Its a rainy day.
I went down a rabbit hole on youtube smack bang into the bee gees.

Not my style, but wow, how talented were they?

Especially live.
True pros.

Thoughts kennel family.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah great songwriters whether it’s your thing or not. Wrote a lot of big hits for other people too! Notably “Islands in the stream” and saved Diana Ross flailing career with “chain reaction.”

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Its no secret. I am a huge music lover. Metallica being huge to me, and in general my musical preferance is louder agressive styles.

But the Bee Gees,
Wow, just wow.
Its a rainy day.

Especially live.
True pros.

Thoughts kennel family.
Always have liked them because of our road trips when younger.

But I love Boney M but. They sing about us Assyrians and Russians lol

Last edited:

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

But the Bee Gees,
Wow, just wow.
Its a rainy day.

Especially live.
True pros.

Thoughts kennel family.
Im sure they were meant to be!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

But the Bee Gees,
Wow, just wow.
Its a rainy day.

Especially live.
True pros.

Thoughts kennel family.
I think that since I got old enough to not give two craps about what others think, I'm far more likely to appreciate older music.

I generally find 99%of new music just gets on my nerves. Even some of the songs I used to like seem shit now. New music is pretty generic though. No real talent needed from the artists. Pretty much no need to write or play music since it can usually be synthesized. They usually just need to be attractive enough for the film clips. Songs can pretty much just consist of a chorus that is moderately catchy. Have heard singers that don't sound remotely close to as good live as they do on albums too.

So it's crazy how well some bands were able to create a huge number of good quality songs.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

But the Bee Gees,
Wow, just wow.
Its a rainy day.

Especially live.
True pros.

Thoughts kennel family.
Seems like you love the BeeGees. The only question is: how deep is your love? How deep is your live? I really need to know.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Bee Gees and so does my son so I'm taking credit for that.

And the first song on his play list is Ballroom Blitz by the Sweet so I'm taking credit for that too.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

"By the Rivers of Babylon"
"Rasputin"

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think that since I got old enough to not give two craps about what others think, I'm far more likely to appreciate older music.

I generally find 99%of new music just gets on my nerves. Even some of the songs I used to like seem shit now. New music is pretty generic though. No real talent needed from the artists. Pretty much no need to write or play music since it can usually be synthesized. They usually just need to be attractive enough for the film clips. Songs can pretty much just consist of a chorus that is moderately catchy. Have heard singers that don't sound remotely close to as good live as they do on albums too.

So it's crazy how well some bands were able to create a huge number of good quality songs.
Having worked in recording studios I can tell you there’s many tricks - auto tune, double and triple tracking of vocals - lots of things that can make an average singer sound decent.

Whilst some of those tricks have been around forever, digital tech has made it easier. Today pop music is much more about marketing than music. There’s very little money in making albums now - the internet killed that from theft to paltry streaming royalties. The money today is touring and merch and that’s largely image.

Check what happens when live vocals are isolated from the main mix which compensates for deficiencies:
Now compare that to someone who can actually sing:
It’s the same live, without the trickery you’ve either got it or you don’t and for older musicians they had far less opportunity to fake it until they make it:
So whilst I wasn’t a huge Bee Gees fan they were definitely the real deal in terms of being legit.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Always got a laugh out of the man's dancing

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bee Gees are up there with the best of the best. Although they're symbolic with 70s disco, they had great music and were extremely popular in the 60s, 80s and 90s as well.

I'm only 30, but my dad got me into the Bee Gees real young playing their One Night Only album on road trips.

How Deep is Your Love was supposed to be our first dance song for our wedding before COVID crushed that all. Lol

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

But the Bee Gees,
Wow, just wow.
Its a rainy day.

Trivia
Their name derives from Brother Gibbs.. They took the first letter, using its phonetic sound with the plural on the end..thus Bee Gees.

Especially live.
True pros.

Thoughts kennel family.
Absolutely..wrote not only their own songs but hits for others too.. Great Band!

Interesting fact..

‘Local Australian DJ Bill Gates (not that one) renamed the brothers' group to the BG's (later changed to 'Bee Gees') after his, speedway promoter Bill Goode and Barry Gibb's initials. Thus, the name was not specifically a reference to 'Brothers Gibb', despite popular belief.’

I always thought the later until you inspired me to have look..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Having worked in recording studios I can tell you there’s many tricks - auto tune, double and triple tracking of vocals - lots of things that can make an average singer sound decent.

Whilst some of those tricks have been around forever, digital tech has made it easier. Today pop music is much more about marketing than music. There’s very little money in making albums now - the internet killed that from theft to paltry streaming royalties. The money today is touring and merch and that’s largely image.

Check what happens when live vocals are isolated from the main mix which compensates for deficiencies:
Now compare that to someone who can actually sing:
It’s the same live, without the trickery you’ve either got it or you don’t and for older musicians they had far less opportunity to fake it until they make it:
So whilst I wasn’t a huge Bee Gees fan they were definitely the real deal in terms of being legit.
I hadn't heard how bad Britney Spears sounded without studio magicians. Rather pitiful really. It'd be interesting to see how many popular singers are truly poor.

My housemate often talks about the fact that he's seen numerous musicians that have made it big with certain bands make guest appearances in others where they quickly show they can't play.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I hadn't heard how bad Britney Spears sounded without studio magicians. Rather pitiful really. It'd be interesting to see how many popular singers are truly poor.

My housemate often talks about the fact that he's seen numerous musicians that have made it big with certain bands make guest appearances in others where they quickly show they can't play.
Numerous examples mate.
Milli Vanilli probably remain the famous example for not having sung AT ALL on their album and had to hand the Grammy back.

But the manufactured acts and the individuals eventually mostly fade away - One Direction et al - only the ones with talent and spunk beyond the marketing persist eg: Robbie Williams.

Otherwise it’s down to those who actually can play and can sing - Alicia Keys, John Mayer, John Legend, Newton Faulkner and many more.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ironically Bobby Farrel from Bony M contributed almost no vocals whatsoever to the records. Producer Frank Farian was the deep voice we actually hear.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

But the Bee Gees,
Wow, just wow.
Its a rainy day.

Especially live.
True pros.

Thoughts kennel family.
Very talented, deserve all the accolades.
Cemented their place in rock n roll history for all the right reasons, their musicianship.
Personally I cant stand listening to them.