Opinion Matt Burton

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I would like Burton here this year. I still value players that have integrity. I look at the reported behaviour of Barba, SBW and Klemmer for us as dog moves since they crapped on the club, team mates and fans to do what was best for themselves. If Burton is a long term part of our side I'd like to know that he's a good person as well as player.
fair enough... it is important for people to honour their word and contracts and if Burton believes that the Panthers have been good to him and wants to see out his time before moving across, then that settles everything... and Penrith believing he is important to their premiership push in 2021 (eg. competition points during Origin, impact off the bench, utility value etc.) then they have every right to not being guilted into releasing him early

and yes, players feigning homesickness (eg. Hannant, Barba, Milford), demanding contract releases (eg. Aloiai), simply running out on the club (eg. SBW, Lyon), DCE's behaviour throughout his career when it comes to his contracts with Manly and Gold Coast etc. are a blight on the game

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton obviously wants to come early so it's up to his manager to do his fucking job and start throwing a hissy fit. There are lots of examples of players in his situation who managed to get an early release. Take a leaf out of Klemmer's book

Clearly talking about keeping Burton because it will help him develop his game is just laughable. Talk about the massive ego on that prick. He's done jackshit in his career but now he's supposedly a master coach. Fuck off c***
I agree with you.

Your points lead met to my next question... -

Why is his manager not rocking the boat, as more money for Burt means more money for him???

SO - Who Is His Manager, can we find that out???

I'm Guessing that his Manager must have other off contract players he is negotiating with at Penrith & that is why he's keeping quiet.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you.

Your points lead met to my next question... -

Why is his manager not rocking the boat, as more money for Burt means more money for him???

SO - Who Is His Manager, can we find that out???

I'm Guessing that his Manager must have other off contract players he is negotiating with at Penrith & that is why he's keeping quiet.
His manager is David Riolo

Personally I think he's coming but we're just waiting for Penrith to re-sign their players. Penrith signing Salmon seems strange if they're not going to release Burton

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will wait to the season proper to do it so he has no no offseason time to gell with the team and will be thrown straight into it .
As for critchon he ain’t worth 700 he wants I’d go for staggs he is worth that

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Heard yesterday the panthers have only got 24 or 25 in their top 30.. that would mean they need to upgrade another 5 or 6 right which means they need more money?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO It's up to him, if he kick's enough stones, eventually Cleary "might" realise that he's causing more problems than he's worth to the team.
Mind you, giving Averillo a full year at 5/8, should strengthen our club long term.
Might not be in his personality to cause shit just to secure a release
Some people still have core values believe it or not.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Heard yesterday the panthers have only got 24 or 25 in their top 30.. that would mean they need to upgrade another 5 or 6 right which means they need more money?
Correct, only 25 registered, they need to register 4 more by 1st March, then the last by 30th June. How much they have spent/left of their Cap is not necessarily related to the number of players.

layerContracted seasons
Billy Burns20212022
Matt Burton2021
Kurt Capewell2021
Nathan Cleary2021202220232024
Stephen Crichton2021
Dylan Edwards20212022
Matt Eisenhuth20212022
James Fisher-Harris20212022
Robert Jennings2021
Mitch Kenny2021
Viliame Kikau20212022
Apisai Koroisau20212022
Spencer Leniu202120222023
Moses Leota20212022
Jarome Luai2021
Liam Martin202120222023
Tyrone May2021
Brent Naden2021
Lindsay Smith20212022
Jaeman Salmon2021
Scott Sorensen2021
Charlie Staines202120222023
Brian To'o202120222023
Dean Whare2021MO
Isaah Yeo2021

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct, only 25 registered, they need to register 4 more by 1st March, then the last by 30th June. How much they have spent/left of their Cap is not necessarily related to the number of players.

layerContracted seasons
Billy Burns20212022
Matt Burton2021
Kurt Capewell2021
Nathan Cleary2021202220232024
Stephen Crichton2021
Dylan Edwards20212022
Matt Eisenhuth20212022
James Fisher-Harris20212022
Robert Jennings2021
Mitch Kenny2021
Viliame Kikau20212022
Apisai Koroisau20212022
Spencer Leniu202120222023
Moses Leota20212022
Jarome Luai2021
Liam Martin202120222023
Tyrone May2021
Brent Naden2021
Lindsay Smith20212022
Jaeman Salmon2021
Scott Sorensen2021
Charlie Staines202120222023
Brian To'o202120222023
Dean Whare2021MO
Isaah Yeo2021

Go Dogs
Looking at the fact that they only have 13 players contracted for 22 raises the question of whether this year's results were a massive fluke. Ultimately you'd want to have the bulk of a team that came close to a premiership locked in for a couple of years. Not only for the fact that some roster stability is healthy. But given that many players would have gone close to their peak performance, they'll have plenty of other clubs casting envious eyes there way. They're probably facing a situation where a lot of players are chasing upgrades or new clubs right now.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, only 25 registered, they need to register 4 more by 1st March, then the last by 30th June. How much they have spent/left of their Cap is not necessarily related to the number of players...
Since they apparently have sooo much first grade talent in their lower grades (or so it seems according to the media's Pennies-love in), it should be simple to promote some of that talent that wants to play for them, on minimal money. And let MB come over this year, Yes?

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Today is Thursday, "Hi Ivan, just thought I'd let you know that, because you are being a dick, the agreement about not poaching players is herewith cancelled" or "Two can play at the ruthless game and you have far more to lose than I do"

Then in alphabetical order;
Tomorrow we invite Capewell to lunch to discuss if there is any scope in the future for moving to us.
Saturday we invite Crichten to brunch, just for a friendly chat of course.
Saturday afternoon drinks with Kenny (I skipped Jennings, he's past it).
Sunday lunch with Luai, just talking about the Samoan team of course.
Monday morning "Hi Ivan, shall we continue next week? We can stop at anytime, all you have to do is release Burton?.
If not, Monday afternoon tea with May, followed by dinner with Naden.
Then Tuesday it's Salmon for dinner (sic)
"Hey Ivan are you going to exercise that option with Whare, just asking, no nothing really, just interested" (I skipped Sorenson).
What shall we do on Wednesday for breakfast, I know let's invite Yeo for a sit down.

Of course we don't want all of them, just a catch up to see how they are going, the targeted negotiations can start soon after.

Go Dogs

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Today is Thursday, "Hi Ivan, just thought I'd let you know that, because you are being a dick, the agreement about not poaching players is herewith cancelled" or "Two can play at the ruthless game and you have far more to lose than I do"

Tomorrow we invite Capewell to lunch to discuss if there is any scope in the future for moving to us.
Monday morning "Hi Ivan, shall we continue next week? We can stop at anytime, all you have to do is release Burton?.
"Hey Ivan are you going to exercise that option with Whare, just asking, no nothing really, just interested" (I skipped Sorenson).
What shall we do on Wednesday for breakfast, I know let's invite Yeo for a sit down.

Of course we don't want all of them, just a catch up to see how they are going, the targeted negotiations can start soon after.

Go Dogs
one of those players we have already made a big offer too :grinning:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I’m sure Ivan would be shaking in his boots....

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand. Burton is on minimum wage, Allan was not. Panthers get NOTHING by releasing Burton, so as long as he's not kicking up and stink and makes it clear he doesn't want to be there then they will keep him while they're still in a Premiership window. Souths on the other hand did get an advantage by releasing Allan and were able to sign Mansour and strengthen their backline (what Wayne believes).

All you cunts sound like entitled kids. Yes, it would be great to have Burton ASAP. Yes, Ivan is a fucking cunt. But in the end it doesn't matter because Burton has a contract and is some of the best depth in the game. If we were Penrith then i'd be filthy if we released him.
Very true Burton appears to be behaving very professionally, and the panthers are entitled to have him to the end of his contract. However, hanging on to a player whose is departing at years end has more often than not been a good decision.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
10000%

Also to add how about the drop kicks saying lets let JAC train with us when he's in Sydney. Yeah no conflict of interest or insurance concerns there..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
You gotta be shitting me. Some douche bag cocksucker actually said that ? That be like your uncle Paulie trying to work for one of the New York families while being a made guy with my former Jersey family. Madone.