Opinion Probably a dumb thread, but what does everyone think of Trent Barrett?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So far he has done everything Ive wanted of him, recruitment has been active and aggressive with talented youngsters coming over.
He has a connection with the club as he supported us as a kid, plus his older brother played here.

I personally think the worst thing that could have happened to Hasler was us making the gf in his first year.

he thought he had the team to win the comp but as soon as barba left we had no chance! His recruitment was garbage

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Only time will tell, Has a big team around him which might make all the diff.

Might still suck at coaching well see.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So far he has done everything Ive wanted of him, recruitment has been active and aggressive with talented youngsters coming over.
He has a connection with the club as he supported us as a kid, plus his older brother played here.

I personally think the worst thing that could have happened to Hasler was us making the gf in his first year.

he thought he had the team to win the comp but as soon as barba left we had no chance! His recruitment was garbage
2014 would show we didn't need Barba to win a grand final? We were definitely a chance and we were in the game until the very end, the scoreboard doesn't depict how close the game was. The main point here is we made a grand final without Barba. The worst thing we did was get rid of Hodkinson without a replacement (a genuine 7, we ran with 2 five-eighths) as well as signing Lichaa instead of retaining Ennis for a couple more years or sticking with Cook. We made the eight every year until Des' last year and the reason we're in this mess now is because we tried to play to a higher salary cap which came from above Des' head from Dib and Castle. Des is at fault for those 2 roster decisions above as well as signing Foran on a 3 year deal on huge money (when we already knew he was injury prone). The other thing people say is Des neglected our juniors (I don't know enough on this to have an opinion, I'm not sure who we had coming through at the time, as well as how they were travelling, we probably had a top heavy salary cap?).

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far all his done is install some positivety in the place and that’s a good thing,his purchases so far have been positive,as for his coaching ability we will all have an idea half way through the season

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2014 would show we didn't need Barba to win a grand final? We were definitely a chance and we were in the game until the very end, the scoreboard doesn't depict how close the game was. The main point here is we made a grand final without Barba. The worst thing we did was get rid of Hodkinson without a replacement (a genuine 7, we ran with 2 five-eighths) as well as signing Lichaa instead of retaining Ennis for a couple more years or sticking with Cook. We made the eight every year until Des' last year and the reason we're in this mess now is because we tried to play to a higher salary cap which came from above Des' head from Dib and Castle. Des is at fault for those 2 roster decisions above as well as signing Foran on a 3 year deal on huge money (when we already knew he was injury prone). The other thing people say is Des neglected our juniors (I don't know enough on this to have an opinion, I'm not sure who we had coming through at the time, as well as how they were travelling, we probably had a top heavy salary cap?).
Mate we were never going to win the comp in 2014
Yes we made the gf and anything is possible but we didn’t have the strongest team. Either way I supported my team and went to the game but I think we were lucky to make it.

correct about not replacing Hodkinson and running with two 5/8’s.

we made the finals every year with dez by just scrapping in and playing one very very boring style of footy.

I wouldn’t want to go back to coming 6,7 or8th and just making up the numbers with one hell of a boring style.

bring on this new era with Barrett I’m excited and can’t wait!!

Last edited:

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes we made the gf and anything is possible but we didn’t have the strongest team. Either way I supported my team and went to the game but I think we were lucky to make it.

we made the finals every year with dez by just scrapping in and playing one very very boring style of footy.

I wouldn’t want to go back to coming 6,7 or8th and just making up the numbers with one hell of a boring style.

If we didnt lose ennis and kasiano it could have gone very diff.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was initially against the appointment of Barrett based on what happened at Manly. I wanted the English coach Shaun Wane but Barrett's appointment has definitely grown on me. I like what he's said in interviews. He seems the brightest of the young up and coming coaches and able to recruit the right players (better than Wane could have from the NRL although Wane would have had an edge in getting Super League players). Glad we have him rather than older washed up coaches who have had only had moderate success at other clubs (ie Anthony Griffin). We should have had Holbrook actually though a year earlier (I blame Lynne). I have confidence in Barrett. I watched that video of him doing a training session on defence and he knows his stuff. I couldn't imagine Pay coming out with something that intelligent. I just hope when players don't perform he's not Mr Nice Guy and too frightened to tell players to their face. He also needs to sign Brandon Smith or Api and shed Hopa and Napa for better younger players or he's going to find things a lot tougher.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm on the TBaz train already. He has been highly impressive in all interviews I have seen with him, he is a confident straight talker and seems very focussed on what he needs to do. Recruitment has been outstanding so far and he has put together a strong high performance coaching staff.

He is educating the players on the history of the club so they are all aware of the great players and history that came before them. Hopefully it also helps instil some pride and love for the club they now belong to and the jersey that they now have the honor and privelage to wear. I also don't want to hear about the DNA bullshit of the past because that's what is it...in the past.

I think TBaz will put his own stamp on the next chapter for the club and I am confident he is the right man to lead us to our next success. I'm not saying it will be easy, instant or smooth sailing but I'm confident we will see a constant improvement and upswing over the next few years to get us back to where we belong

I really believe he is the next young coach that is on the up and up and will prove to be a successful long time career coach....hopefully the next 10 years with us and a few premierships to show

I haven't been this excited about a footy season for many many years

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He is already way in front of pay and we have not played a game under him as coach,it will not be all smooth sailing but TBAZ is making all the right moves to make himself and the club way more competitive in the coming years. For the first time in along time I am looking forward to seeing what we produce this season, but 22/23 will be the crucial seasons for for tbaz's long term tenure as head coach of the bulldogs for mine.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In other words Tbaz has potential.
He is already way in front of pay and we have not played a game under him as coach,it will not be all smooth sailing but TBAZ is making all the right moves to make himself and the club way more competitive in the coming years. For the first time in along time I am looking forward to seeing what we produce this season, but 22/23 will be the crucial seasons for for tbaz's long term tenure as head coach of the bulldogs for mine.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dumb thread, its not a popularity contest and we can only judge him on success.
Has recruited well, has his own staff and the players are saying things are being done different.
Obviously good things.
If you judge him by his Manly stint he flopped.
You can't judge him by last year as he was in Cleary's shadow who did most of the string pulling.
Will he succeed this time?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Holbrook he took on a basket case of a club and the duds they gave him and they finished 9th in his first year. The year before that they were wooden spooners, while also recruiting well for 2021. That alone backs my post you quoted. Barrett during his tenure with WoManly had his fair share of problems which led him to walk out / being pushed out into the NRL coaching wilderness.

I back Barrett 99.9 % as our coach, as like you all I like what he has done so far with our roster and how committed he seems not only to the team but also to our club. The c*** Hasler never showed that commitment the entire time he was with us.....( Pay did but he had no fucking idea ) in the end when the truth finally came out it was apparent to all that we were sleeping with the enemy. I'm so fucking glad he's gone. The remaining 00.1% are lingering thoughts dare I say memories of Barrett's failings his first time around as head coach because the echoes are still there. Until the season begins and we actually start stringing some wins together, those echoes will always be there. I love the enthusiasm on the Kennel this off season it beats the hum drum days of years gone by. We can't all be cheerleaders with differing opinions :grinning: but Go Barrett, Go Bulldogs!!!!
Sums up much of what I feel.

Moving on from Pay- He obviously had some passion for the club. But arrived when the club had resigned itself to getting our cap in order by releasing a few better players and replacing them with loyal depth players on the cheap.

Since Barrett's signing/arriving- He seems to have assembled a very solid and experienced crew around himself. He was brutal in ensuring that the old crew were moved on. He's been equally brutal in moving on some good clubmen like Tolman.

Recruitment- He had a massive advantage with recruitment given that our cap was finally fixed and we had a few big money players departing. Cotric wasn't his signing given that he hadn't committed at that stage. But Flanagan and Burton address our lacking short kicking game. Both really have to prove themselves though. JAC is a good signing if the reported $500k/season is true. Hetherington doesn't look like a metre eater, but if he inspires se aggressive play from the pack he's a worthy signing. Waddell looks solid in most areas and seems to have a bit of pace. Allan (if rumours have truth) seems to be a decent player on the way up.

Hype- Barrett is credited with the attacking upgrade at Penrith. However a number of things may have also been very helpful in this. Koroisau has always been a decent decision maker and probably was a big upgrade to start their sets. Their halves were decent already but may have just hit maturity at this stage. They had a good number of quality juniors coming good in a short time frame. Ivan Cleary has had a good impact at stages too. I credit him with the Warriors best ever seasons. So while the hype around Barrett was positive it remains to be seen if that is worth anything for us in any way except for helping us recruit a little easily.

Barrett's past- I was initially a little concerned about the results at Manly under his tutelage. He had a decent roster there that under performed. But from all accounts he's spent his time wisely to improve his skills and knowledge by learning from quality coaching outfits which is hopefully a positive.

Thoughts on the immediate future- He's a great communicator who seems to have the players buying in. With a few new players that seem to be upgraded in important positions he's got a good foundation to build upon. The coaching staff around him seem a bit more professional than in years past. In summary I am a confident that we'll be competing with the middle of the pack. But the goal is to be pushing into the top 8. Only time will tell if we achieve this. I'll consider finishing from 7th to 9th a good result in 21 (might adjust that thinking a bit if JAC and Burton join us for 21). Anywhere below 11th will be a worry to my way of thinking. If we finish 6th place or higher we've over achieved. My overall thoughts are that I'm optimistic about his appointment but I'll wait on results before I start singing his praises.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Professor would already have a dozen (or more) sketches ready to go involving Trent with his shirt off! I think we will get more positive media coverage than previous coaches have been afforded.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
\+

So I kn//*/
/*/ we have nothing to judge him on as a bulldogs coach, but what does everyone think of Trent Barrett?
I think his signings have been good, does everyone think he fits well into the culture and history of the club?
When Hasler started coaching the dogs, I kind of felt he was taking us away from our culture of toughness, dogs of war that I and assume everyone else loves. Like it felt like we were turning into a team that was based on being clinical and that we lost bit of that character and soul.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I kind of feel the same about Barrett. But in saying that I like what he's done so far and I think we're going to be a lot better I just hope we keep our bulldog identity that coaches like Folkes really understood.
Following the miseries of the last few years any change would seems like a good change...
We can only judge Barrett on his achievements till now, he like everyone knows the hard work is still ahead of us but you can tell the team is much fitter than has been for years,
God forbid, if he fails the Kennelers will call for his hanging from the stand's rooftop at Belmore.
Nonetheless the difference is...
Hasler was always about himself his ways and friends, no pride in our club and it's history, he almost ripped us from our foundations in an attempt to fit the club around himself.
Barrett has shown more pride in our club in 2 months than Hasler showed in 6 years ...
Big point that could mean the difference between success and failure !!!

+ \****

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sums up much of what I feel.

Moving on from Pay- He obviously had some passion for the club. But arrived when the club had resigned itself to getting our cap in order by releasing a few better players and replacing them with loyal depth players on the cheap.

Since Barrett's signing/arriving- He seems to have assembled a very solid and experienced crew around himself. He was brutal in ensuring that the old crew were moved on. He's been equally brutal in moving on some good clubmen like Tolman.

Recruitment- He had a massive advantage with recruitment given that our cap was finally fixed and we had a few big money players departing. Cotric wasn't his signing given that he hadn't committed at that stage. But Flanagan and Burton address our lacking short kicking game. Both really have to prove themselves though. JAC is a good signing if the reported $500k/season is true. Hetherington doesn't look like a metre eater, but if he inspires se aggressive play from the pack he's a worthy signing. Waddell looks solid in most areas and seems to have a bit of pace. Allan (if rumours have truth) seems to be a decent player on the way up.

Hype- Barrett is credited with the attacking upgrade at Penrith. However a number of things may have also been very helpful in this. Koroisau has always been a decent decision maker and probably was a big upgrade to start their sets. Their halves were decent already but may have just hit maturity at this stage. They had a good number of quality juniors coming good in a short time frame. Ivan Cleary has had a good impact at stages too. I credit him with the Warriors best ever seasons. So while the hype around Barrett was positive it remains to be seen if that is worth anything for us in any way except for helping us recruit a little easily.

Barrett's past- I was initially a little concerned about the results at Manly under his tutelage. He had a decent roster there that under performed. But from all accounts he's spent his time wisely to improve his skills and knowledge by learning from quality coaching outfits which is hopefully a positive.

Thoughts on the immediate future- He's a great communicator who seems to have the players buying in. With a few new players that seem to be upgraded in important positions he's got a good foundation to build upon. The coaching staff around him seem a bit more professional than in years past. In summary I am a confident that we'll be competing with the middle of the pack. But the goal is to be pushing into the top 8. Only time will tell if we achieve this. I'll consider finishing from 7th to 9th a good result in 21 (might adjust that thinking a bit if JAC and Burton join us for 21). Anywhere below 11th will be a worry to my way of thinking. If we finish 6th place or higher we've over achieved. My overall thoughts are that I'm optimistic about his appointment but I'll wait on results before I start singing his praises.
A great write up Allan, can't falter any part of it and I agree with everything you have written.....thanks for the read. :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I can't see how Tbaz could have done any better at this early stage of the season....only thing would have to be, to have secured a top hooker somehow...but I bet he's working on it.

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Souths were always going to win that game the nrl wanted it that way. They rang the bell before we even ran out for fuck sake and were let do so ,how disrespectfull can you get, plus the sam burges no HIA after nearly knocked sensless and a brocken jaw etc suttons refereeing was all thier way most of that game,but in saying that we wer'nt good enough either

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Remember when everyone jizzed over signing Hasler? Fun times. Fun times.