The "R U OK ?" Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This time of year is typically difficult for our mental health. I know I struggle every year. So just a reminder to all of you out there that there is someone who cares and you're never alone. If you're having one of those nights, send me a PM as I'm happy to listen. We all need help sometimes guys. Considering I'm in Europe you can msg anytime too! Lol.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
R I OK?

Well... I can't remember most of last night and now my head feels like it's about to explode. Perfect way to end whatever year it was last year.
The year that was.......an unforgettable one for all the wrong reasons. Maybe it is better that your memory is not the best after whatever you got up to....

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Been a tuff week. I couldnt get out of the car on Thursday morning. Sat there in the carpark at work for about 20 mins. Didnt want to get out, didnt want to go home, didnt want to be anywhere. I had the keys so I opened up. Workers started arriving. Went threw the usual charade of gday, hows it going yeah good thanks. Put on a smile. Some times I just want to tell people 'I feel like shit, just stay the fuck away from me'. I just tell myself internally to shut up, dont be a c*** because others shouldnt have to deal with my shit and get on with it.

I work with the sharpest bloke Ive ever met. We take the piss out of each other all day, he usually has me in stitches so that helps turn a down morning into getting shit done and enjoying the day.

I dont do well this time of year for various reasons. Last year was fine, the year before ok but this year has been hard.
Good thing is im conscious of it. That doesnt mean I prepare to be a miserable prick at xmas, just to be conscious of where Im at. I stopped taking meds years ago for anxiety and depression. I still get depressed at times but its not as bad as years gone by.
I take extra holidays now at xmas. Keep busy with my hobby. Write to do lists, work on the house. Also set aside time to do nothing but I usually end up working on my hobby anyway which is fine.

I knew Id feel better once I got threw the last working week and I do.

Had plans for the holidays to see family but that hasnt worked out. Was looking forward to a long drive, to get away but theres nothing I can do about it so soldier on.
Feeling good today. Got a few things to do. I cant sit still because then Ill just feel down again. Need a sense of accomplishment, moving forward no matter how small the task.

Not really into disclosing my life online. No one knows who I am anyways. Just thought Id share what helps me get threw the tuff times as I know others struggle this time of the year.
I feel for you and want you to know that most of us have been to that place that you find yourself in and we all cope in different ways. I am glad that things are not as bad for you as in the past and that you have those coping mechanisms to make it a bit easier.

Thankfully my mental well being is great and I put that down to good family support, my new interest in exercise which is not only beneficial for the body but the mind. I used to not be like that and I am so thankful that these days things are so much better. Yeah, sometimes you do look back at certain times and remember how you felt but if you are lucky you can rise above those feelings and move along with life.

This time of the year is a trigger for some and if anything for me it is the fact that Mum and Dad are no longer with us and New Years eve and January 3 are the dates of their birthdays...then I simply think of all the great times we had and the beautiful loving people that they were and that I appreciated having had them as my parents for as long as I did.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This time of year is typically difficult for our mental health. I know I struggle every year. So just a reminder to all of you out there that there is someone who cares and you're never alone. If you're having one of those nights, send me a PM as I'm happy to listen. We all need help sometimes guys. Considering I'm in Europe you can msg anytime too! Lol.
Beautiful Tassie and a reminder that people do care, even for those they may have never met face to face. A kind thought and a kind word do make a world of difference....

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I feel for you and want you to know that most of us have been to that place that you find yourself in and we all cope in different ways. I am glad that things are not as bad for you as in the past and that you have those coping mechanisms to make it a bit easier.

Thankfully my mental well being is great and I put that down to good family support, my new interest in exercise which is not only beneficial for the body but the mind. I used to not be like that and I am so thankful that these days things are so much better. Yeah, sometimes you do look back at certain times and remember how you felt but if you are lucky you can rise above those feelings and move along with life.

This time of the year is a trigger for some and if anything for me it is the fact that Mum and Dad are no longer with us and New Years eve and January 3 are the dates of their birthdays...then I simply think of all the great times we had and the beautiful loving people that they were and that I appreciated having had them as my parents for as long as I did.
God bless you! You really are our Kennel Mama.

Your wisdom is very much needed and appreciated.

Covid or not, I'm gonna bear hug you next time I see you.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Im not good with words. Thank you. It is much appreciated. I mean that from the heart.
Im usually pretty good, I just turn into a black grinch just before some xmas's lol.
Im glad you've found an interest in exercise. Ive never known anyone to do exercise or leave a gym not feeling better for the experience.
Wishing that tomorrow for you is a day of fond memories and well being. Hopefully family is close and the day is well spent together.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im not good with words. Thank you. It is much appreciated. I mean that from the heart.
Im usually pretty good, I just turn into a black grinch just before some xmas's lol.
Im glad you've found an interest in exercise. Ive never known anyone to do exercise or leave a gym not feeling better for the experience.
Wishing that tomorrow for you is a day of fond memories and well being. Hopefully family is close and the day is well spent together.
Some people think that being addicted to exercise is sad but not for me! Some days I really have to push to go to the gym for various reasons...big day at work, tired etc. but you are right on the money with the comment you made about feeling better for the experience.At no time have I not felt a sense of accomplishment and that wonderful " feel good" high. I am not the body perfect and I am realistic to know I never will be, but it makes me feel oh so good and confident in myself once I have done a good workout. Body and mind benefit......
I thought about Mum and all the wise advice she gave me during her time on earth and just so much of it is still pertinent in my life today. I still wish her a Happy Birthday and I still wanted her to be around to see her grand kids but it was not to be. I have photos and a couple of videos of her but the strongest reminder is in my heart and mind, as it should be. I sometimes "feel" her presence, not at all spooky, just a comforting feeling. I am so lucky....

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some people think that being addicted to exercise is sad but not for me! Some days I really have to push to go to the gym for various reasons...big day at work, tired etc. but you are right on the money with the comment you made about feeling better for the experience.At no time have I not felt a sense of accomplishment and that wonderful " feel good" high. I am not the body perfect and I am realistic to know I never will be, but it makes me feel oh so good and confident in myself once I have done a good workout. Body and mind benefit......
I thought about Mum and all the wise advice she gave me during her time on earth and just so much of it is still pertinent in my life today. I still wish her a Happy Birthday and I still wanted her to be around to see her grand kids but it was not to be. I have photos and a couple of videos of her but the strongest reminder is in my heart and mind, as it should be. I sometimes "feel" her presence, not at all spooky, just a comforting feeling. I am so lucky....
I was going for brisk walks in the afternoon with my wife. It lasted about a month then we stopped. I have insomnia so by the end of the week I just couldnt be bothered walking after work. After work I just want to come home and work on other things. She also works night shift aswell so that thows days out. I suppose I was walking more for her sake, Im just not exercise minded. Ofcoarse there just excuses and I should hit her up to start walking again. Edit - I just went and mentioned it to her and we are starting again tonight so there you go, youve just inspired me and ruined my evening at the same time :tongueclosed:

I often think of my Nan. I have a Christmas card sitting in the top draw of my music room desk. Its her hand writing that hits me in the chest whenever I look at it. She was the nucleolus of the family that has all now drifted apart. She always knew when something was wrong, when I wasnt traveling well. Im not into the spooky stuff either but I feel her presence whenever I look at or read the card. Thats why I keep it in the music room where I spend alot of time. Its a gift. Enjoy your day :smiley:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My first post in this thread.
Not about me but seems a good place for it.
I still don’t like the way he left our club but today this guy called my mates 11 year old son who is recovering from Leukaemia. An actual screenshot from the call:
21A14D44-0986-4CB7-87A4-33A40D11A603.jpeg

He called to say R U OK and lift the little fellas spirits which he certainly did, so credit where it’s due SBW.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still don’t like the way he left our club but today this guy called my mates 11 year old son who is recovering from Leukaemia. An actual screenshot from the call:
View attachment 19826
He called to say R U OK and lift the little fellas spirits which he certainly did, so credit where it’s due SBW.
I'm still allowed to despise him in spite of him doing something nice. Hope the young fellow kicks the leukaemias ass though.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
View attachment 19826
All the best for your mates son and the whole family.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 19826
He’s matured quite a deal..good luck to your mate’s son in his recovery.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He’s matured quite a deal..good luck to your mate’s son in his recovery.
Thanks mate. Yeah no doubt the 35 yo version is different to the 22 yo version of SBW and having his own kids made him grow up. It’s good of him to use his profile to do good deeds like that, my mates son was chuffed. Due to a hospital stay he missed his primary school graduation last month and was very down about that but now he’s telling everyone he’s had better school holidays than any of his mates so to see him so happy after a rough year was great :-).

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
View attachment 19826
I hope the little fella keeps improving and beats it mate. Sonny is a good guy, he’s just been surrounded by greedy pricks and was easily led when he was young

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I hope the little fella keeps improving and beats it mate. Sonny is a good guy, he’s just been surrounded by greedy pricks and was easily led when he was young
Thanks mate, he’s going OK and fighting hard.
Yeah, as I said in another post here, the 35yo vs 22yo SBW are different people (as they were for most of us) - he’s grown up and uses his profile to do good, which is great. And yes, some ‘advice’ SBW got when younger was questionable for sure.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was going for brisk walks in the afternoon with my wife. It lasted about a month then we stopped. I have insomnia so by the end of the week I just couldnt be bothered walking after work. After work I just want to come home and work on other things. She also works night shift aswell so that thows days out. I suppose I was walking more for her sake, Im just not exercise minded. Ofcoarse there just excuses and I should hit her up to start walking again. Edit - I just went and mentioned it to her and we are starting again tonight so there you go, youve just inspired me and ruined my evening at the same time :tongueclosed:

I often think of my Nan. I have a Christmas card sitting in the top draw of my music room desk. Its her hand writing that hits me in the chest whenever I look at it. She was the nucleolus of the family that has all now drifted apart. She always knew when something was wrong, when I wasnt traveling well. Im not into the spooky stuff either but I feel her presence whenever I look at or read the card. Thats why I keep it in the music room where I spend alot of time. Its a gift. Enjoy your day :smiley:
You go guy! I hope that you do continue your walks...they will not only benefit your mental and physical well being but the emotional as well. Take the time to talk to each other as you walk ( those breathless words can be quite sexy...:smiley:) no, seriously many a deep conversation can be held whilst walking and is great for developing a better relationship.
Nans are great and it is fantastic that you still feel her with you. That sort of connection is beautiful ,many a wise word from a Nan made things feel better and if that can continue to be of comfort to you well nothing wrong with that. It is obvious that she had a great influence on you whilst she was alive and those feelings you have are a continuation of that relationship.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great to hear. Kids are if nothing resilient and have such a different spin on things to us adults. I wish him all the best and hope that he continues his fight and beats that insidious disease. 11 is too young to let life go........
Thanks DogLuva :-).
Although he’s responded well to treatment, there’s a frequent reality check on the medical truths - but also a big part of the battle is his mindset. There’s days when he’s very up and others when he’s very down. But as you say there is a resilience. Appreciate your kind wishes and hopefully there’s a good ending.