Opinion 2022 thoughts...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We had losing seasons the last 3-4 years anyways. Might as well have promoted any 18-20 year olds with any potential instead of buying proven duds like Crichton and Britt Etc who would never feature in successful teams.

I think you missed my point too. I was just saying how exciting the future is with the club, the coach and the players. I was never naming a week to week team. Just what is possible.

My biggest criticism of pay which I will never alleviate on was he kept on picking average players (supposedly to avoid the Spoon) instead of using the time To develop players. We played like headless chooks. Seemingly told to hold onto the ball. Take 5 hit ups and kick on the last. And just tackle hard on our own line and use the madness.

I am happy to have 3 losing years. Heck I’d even have 5 losing years if it means we are building for something bigger and better. We had a plan that was better then madness. I understand we were hamstrung with cap space. But at the same time we didn’t get 1 young player to pass 50 games. The club tried desperately to avoid the spoon instead of trying to develop youngster without the pressure to perform. Ask flanno how hard that can be and I’m sure he’d much rather learn his craft without the pressure of winning a gf.
I think you missed the point/s.

Using your example, Crichton isn't a "dud" as such, he's a back up to the back up winger, who is on the 30 player minimum ~$100k. Even if we promoted an "18/20 year old" winger, it wouldn't have made any difference to our cap problems, they would still cost $100k. Not that we had anyone who justified "promotion" anyway, Hasler and Cleal pissed them all off, both physically and mentally. Britt is much the same, you may well be correct in that they wouldn't "feature in successful NRL teams", but that's not why they are in the 30, they are fundamentally NSW Cup players who are reserves for the reserves for the NRL players. Not everyone in the 30 can possibly be an NRL player, present or future, the salary cap prevents that. Just like every team we need a squad with players on the way up, players on the way down (but their experience is needed) and journeymen. Learning off the experienced players outside of the NRL team is how the inexperienced players progress.

That's why pulling a name out of a hat (of a player not in the 13) and saying " we don't need this guy, he's a dud" is ridiculous and totally non productive. They might well be a "dud NRL level" player but they are on "dud NRL player" money and could be exactly what is required for the competition that they play in and what the players around them need.

Being successful over the long term is all about achieving and maintaining balance in the 30 player squad and that's what's fundamentally wrong with your team of 13 "possibles" because it ignores the reality of the other 17 players that we have to have. Both to satisfy the NRL requirements and, more importantly, to have a balanced squad, now and in the future.

Go Dogs

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you missed the point/s.

Using your example, Crichton isn't a "dud" as such, he's a back up to the back up winger, who is on the 30 player minimum ~$100k. Even if we promoted an "18/20 year old" winger, it wouldn't have made any difference to our cap problems, they would still cost $100k. Not that we had anyone who justified "promotion" anyway, Hasler and Cleal pissed them all off, both physically and mentally. Britt is much the same, you may well be correct in that they wouldn't "feature in successful NRL teams", but that's not why they are in the 30, they are fundamentally NSW Cup players who are reserves for the reserves for the NRL players. Not everyone in the 30 can possibly be an NRL player, present or future, the salary cap prevents that. Just like every team we need a squad with players on the way up, players on the way down (but their experience is needed) and journeymen. Learning off the experienced players outside of the NRL team is how the inexperienced players progress.

That's why pulling a name out of a hat (of a player not in the 13) and saying " we don't need this guy, he's a dud" is ridiculous and totally non productive. They might well be a "dud NRL level" player but they are on "dud NRL player" money and could be exactly what is required for the competition that they play in and what the players around them need.

Being successful over the long term is all about achieving and maintaining balance in the 30 player squad and that's what's fundamentally wrong with your team of 13 "possibles" because it ignores the reality of the other 17 players that we have to have. Both to satisfy the NRL requirements and, more importantly, to have a balanced squad, now and in the future.

Go Dogs
I think I replied to the wrong thread. My bad.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis is surely gona want out after knowing Burton is replacing him.... if we can somehow sell him as a beast of a half back and get a player for 2021 we need like a Hooker I’ll be down for it. 2022 is to far I want jac and Burton for 2021.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis is surely gona want out after knowing Burton is replacing him.... if we can somehow sell him as a beast of a half back and get a player for 2021 we need like a Hooker I’ll be down for it. 2022 is to far I want jac and Burton for 2021.
I wonder how he’d go as a hooker. He can defend well but can he pass and pick weaknesses in the opponent’s defence?