Opinion How our backline should lineup in 2022

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure at this stage but I'm not a fan of Cotric inside of JAC. Don't think JAC will get the best ball unless Cotric makes some changes to his running style.
agreed
put one on either side

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be interesting which side they play Cotric on. I have never been a big fan of right hand ball carriers playing on the left side. They seem pretty ineffective. If you look at most of the good centres they play on the side of the field that represents their dominant hand.

Guys like Lattrell, Inglis, Gidley, Gasnier, Crichton, Lyon, J Moz, etc all played on there preferred side. I remember watching J Moz in origin play right centre and even though he defended well he was no threat in attack. I cant think of too many really good left sided centres who carried the ball in their right hand and vice versa. They cant use a fend and are normally cannon fodder.

The only half decent one I can think of is Jennings but he was on the elephant juice.

Personally I would play Hoppa at left centre and Cotric at right. Hoppa aint a threat on either side so at least put Cotric on his preferred side. I noticed this year Cotric played right wing for Canberra. In his other years he was left wing and Rapana was right but even when Rapana came back this year Cotric stayed on the right.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The left edge looks outstanding but the right edge is IMO still fairly average as is the fullback option.
It'll be a bit of mud in the eye of a certain former club of one of those players if that right edge does well...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He runs the way he does because because he's been playing wing. He'll obviously change his game when he plays centre.
Will he though? Can you also guarantee that if he does change his style he will be anymore effective than what he previously was on the wing?

I don't think he's anywhere near a sure thing at centre right now, he's a lot more top heavy than he used to be when he previously played centre/fullback in the NYC and isn't as nimble as he used to be. He also defenitely favours the right hand side as a centre so he if does play centre it will be on the right not on the left.

A lot will depend on what happens next season and who actually comes across. From what I'm hearing and what Baz is saying I think the plan is to have Burton/Flano/Averillo split across the park in a similar way Coote/JT/Morgan were. If that doesn't work than I think that could lead to some tweaks and some changes like Jake pushing back out to centre and Cotric playing on his outside.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love seeing the club clearly recognize we need to keep this kid in our system so giving him the opportunity to see what it's like training with the top squad. He already looks pretty filled out for a kid that is still in Harold Matts.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If he continues in the same fashion he could be one of those players that hits NRL when he’s 18 but that’s a big if.
I think he has what it takes to be ready by 18

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If he continues in the same fashion he could be one of those players that hits NRL when he’s 18 but that’s a big if.
the real test is when the other white boys catch him in growth and if he can handle playing against men.