Opinion What are your unpopular opinions about the Bulldogs?

Malla

Reaction score
1. Belmore is a myth. Terrible recent record and has only really been a fortress when we have had the gun sides of the 80s

2. Dogs of War is overused and keeps us playing a negative brand of football. Remember this style was pioneered by Warren Ryan and that was when the game was very different

3. We would have won the GF against Souths if Ennis was playing.

4. Moses Mbye is not a bad player he is just a utility who should never play in the starting lineup. He should always be a number 14 like Craig Wing.

5. Nasheed shouldn’t be banned because his posts are terrible he should be banned because a true Bulldog supporter does not support other clubs.
1. Agree. Blame Castle and Des. We lost our identify under them, hence the shit show every time we played at Belmore. It should mean more playing in Belmore.

2. Agree to an extent however the essence of that term is our boys putting in and doing everything they can to win. Something we havent seen since the mid 2000's really.

3. YES!!!!!!

4. Agree. Moses is an overpaid utility.

5. We should have done more to keep Asotasi and let Mason go.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 2002 team would have shit the bed in the finals. We performed badly in the 2001 and 2003 final series and I’m not sure that team had an extra gear to go up in the finals.
maybe... I have to say though that there was strength and a sense of inevitability to the 2002 team... a couple times we should have lost during the 17 game run (eg. the Knights game) but they pulled out the win

you need to also remember that the 'Dogs had nothing to gain in the final game of the 2002 season with the 37 point deduction already implemented and the wooden spoon guaranteed and facing a strong Broncos side at Homebush and with the likes of Gorden Tallis saying that they wouldn't give the 'Dogs a second thought during the finals... and we won, the fans rushed the field and the Broncos lost in the preliminary final --> suck it, Gordie

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also discount the 2001 finals series results as the team was injury stricken and from memory we had to play Darren Smith at five-eighth against the Sharks

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
maybe... I have to say though that there was strength and a sense of inevitability to the 2002 team... a couple times we should have lost during the 17 game run (eg. the Knights game) but they pulled out the win

you need to also remember that the 'Dogs had nothing to gain in the final game of the 2002 season with the 37 point deduction already implemented and the wooden spoon guaranteed and facing a strong Broncos side at Homebush and with the likes of Gorden Tallis saying that they wouldn't give the 'Dogs a second thought during the
It’s all hypothetical unfortunately so we will never know now. It felt to me those sides from 2001-2004 had a bit of a soft under belly where if the opposition forward pack stood up to them they didn’t have a plan B obviously it didn’t happen that often due to the caliber of the pack.

I think we had a even better team in 2003 then 2002 and they got demolished in 2 of the 3 finals they played in and that’s what makes me think they could have melted.

Jam

Scanlens Gum
Reaction score
Nice post mate. I agree with everything you said. I would also add that Elliot isn't a bad player either.

Just regarding the GF, I think we could have won it even without Ennis. All we needed was either Hokko or Reynolds to be fully fit and we would have won that game. Hell, even with those 2 busted, with 20 minutes to go and the scores level at 6-6, TRex dropped the friggin ball over the line. If he scores, we likely would have defended our way to a gutsy win. We didn't deserve to be there but in the end we could have won that game.

Also agree with the Nasheed bit. For a fan to support 2 teams in the same code is ridiculous. I proudly hate every other club in the NRL...and that's the way it should be for a real Bulldogs fan
I hate every other club outside of the dogs. I don’t have a soft spot for anyone I just hate some more than others

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s all hypothetical unfortunately so we will never know now. It felt to me those sides from 2001-2004 had a bit of a soft under belly where if the opposition forward pack stood up to them they didn’t have a plan B obviously it didn’t happen that often due to the caliber of the pack.

I think we had a even better team in 2003 then 2002 and they got demolished in 2 of the 3 finals they played in and that’s what makes me think they could have melted.
the 2003 team faced a lot of pressure in the first meeting with the Roosters during the regular season and although down during the match, won near the 80th minute with the Utai slam

I was also told (for whatever that is worth) at the time that the Hughes' still had influence in selections and from memory Glen Hughes got a bench spot for the preliminary final against the Roosters in 2003 ahead of the likes of Asotasi and Grimaldi

however, Glen Hughes' dad, Garry, was sacked as football manager in 2004 in the fallout of the Coffs Harbour scandal which effectively spelt the end of Glen Hughes' FG career

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
the 2003 team faced a lot of pressure in the first meeting with the Roosters during the regular season and although down during the match, won near the 80th minute with the Utai slam

I was also told (for whatever that is worth) at the time that the Hughes' still had influence in selections and from memory Glen Hughes got a bench spot for the preliminary final against the Roosters in 2003 ahead of the likes of Asotasi and Grimaldi

however, Glen Hughes' dad, Garry, was sacked as football manager in 2004 in the fallout of the Coffs Harbour scandal which effectively spelt the end of Glen Hughes' FG career
Bloody Glen Hughes! That name brings back some memories he was actually ok in the forwards towards the end of his career but he was so mediocre in the halves! He wouldn’t have had a career that long at any other club.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mortimer could do everything Sterling could but also had pace, a running game and was a very good cover defender... and the only thing commentators now speak of Turvey was his passion (ie. the '85 Origin win)

Maitua was a good player to have on the bench as he could cover back row, five eighth and left centre... his ability to start in a GF in the back row allowed us to cover for the loss of Price by then moving Mason to front row and to maintain our prop rotation with Asotasi and SBW off the bench
Most of today's commentators are morons. According to them the only players worthy of being immortal is Fitler onwards. Turvey is the greatest running halfback of all time as well as the greatest cover defender of all time. In my eyes he's an Immortal easily. He's far superior to "immortal" Bob Fulton and won double the GF and triple the GF appearances compared to Bozo.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
our best halfback since Mortimer was Sherwin from 2002-2004... it took him a while to establish himself in FG and he became very inconsistent from 2005 onwards and just fell away unfortunately, but for 3 seasons only Andrew Johns was a better halfback in the league... should have won the Dally M in 2002
I remember Sherwin's decline had something to with a family tragedy and a team mate cutting his grass.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody Glen Hughes! That name brings back some memories he was actually ok in the forwards towards the end of his career but he was so mediocre in the halves! He wouldn’t have had a career that long at any other club.
I ran into Glen Hughes at my then local years back... seems the Hughes' still held a grudge against the club years after the fact

not a bad player, I guess... but a bench spot in a preliminary final against the f*+#ing Roosters ahead Asotasi and Grimaldi?!

there was a collective "WTF!" from the club I was in watching the game when the line up was announced

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Sherwin's decline had something to with a family tragedy and a team mate cutting his grass.
I heard something similar and Sherwin even moved into O'Meley's house for a period to get his life back in order

the problem I had with the stories was that Shifty was seen hugging the supposed player involved a season or so later after that player had signed with another club... you don't hug that sort of stuff out

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what a great reply. Will not argue with any of it.

- always felt Reni Matua was a little overrated
- Turvey should be In the discussion at least for immortal. Not saying he should be, but at least discussed especially if they talk Cronk and Sterling. Won 4 comps, was THE main player in our team for 3 of them.
Turvey should have been made an immortal the day they made Bob Fulton one. There is simply no objective way Bozo could be rated superior to Turvey when there is nothing that Bozo can do that Turvey can't and Turvey's GF record is double that of Bozo. The 80's is the most iconic decade of footy with plenty of great players and teams. I think Turvey, Baa, Sterlo and Kenny should be made immortals together in recognition of their dominance of that great decade.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of today's commentators are morons. According to them the only players worthy of being immortal is Fitler onwards. Turvey is the greatest running halfback of all time as well as the greatest cover defender of all time. In my eyes he's an Immortal easily. He's far superior to "immortal" Bob Fulton and won double the GF and triple the GF appearances compared to Bozo.
I appreciate that Mortimer is older than Sterling but at a time when there were class NSW halfbacks across the game (Sterling, Raudonikis, Hasler, Hastings, Slippery Morris etc.), Mortimer won more rep jumpers than anyone else... part of the reason I am a 'Dogs fan

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard something similar and Sherwin even moved into O'Meley's house for a period to get his life back in order

the problem I had with the stories was that Shifty was seen hugging the supposed player involved a season or so later after that player had signed with another club... you don't hug that sort of stuff out
Maybe that former team mate offered Shifty to cut his grass.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turvey should have been made an immortal the day they made Bob Fulton one. There is simply no objective way Bozo could be rated superior to Turvey when there is nothing that Bozo can do that Turvey can't and Turvey's GF record is double that of Bozo. The 80's is the most iconic decade of footy with plenty of great players and teams. I think Turvey, Baa, Sterlo and Kenny should be made immortals together in recognition of their dominance of that great decade.
the interview is now very dated (I think it was in the mid to late 80's) but Fulton is on tape judging Mortimer to be the greatest ever halfback

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate that Mortimer is older than Sterling but at a time when there were class NSW halfbacks across the game (Sterling, Raudonikis, Hasler, Hastings, Slippery Morris etc.), Mortimer won more rep jumpers than anyone else... part of the reason I am a 'Dogs fan
I was kid following the Jets and Tigers until I saw Mortimer destroy teams in 76/77. He was a sensational player to watch and I became a doggies fan right away. Over 40 years of watching footy I've never seen a more exciting, brilliant match winner than Mortimer.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was kid following the Jets and Tigers until I saw Mortimer destroy teams in 76/77. He was a sensational player to watch and I became a doggies fan right away. Over 40 years of watching footy I've never seen a more exciting, brilliant match winner than Mortimer.
unfortunately, I missed a lot of Turvey's career as I started watching the 'Dogs in 1985... but 4 years, including the injury interrupted 1988 season, was enough... the man was magic

and for anyone interested, Sterling gave an interview to an English outlet not that long ago where he was asked who were his 5 toughest opponents during his career and three of the five were 'Dogs - Lamb, Gillespie and Steve Mortimer

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the interview is now very dated (I think it was in the mid to late 80's) but Fulton is on tape judging Mortimer to be the greatest ever halfback
Yes I saw a video of interviews about Turvey on you tube a few years ago which was later removed due to copyright. In that video Bozo said he's seen all the great halves including englishman Alex Murphy and he did say Mortimer was the greatest half he's ever seen and the main single reason why the Dogs dominated the 80's. The video also included legendary league caller Frank Hyde who also said Mortimer's performances in Australia was the greatest half back he's seen, better than Sterlo and Alex Murphy. Hyde said Mortimer could do everything as a halfback and his cover defence was as good as anyone he's seen and that Sterlo was only better than Mortimer when playing in the UK under UK conditions.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's the one... yeah, I watched it on YouTube... some program called "Top Dog"