Opinion Where does our forward pack rank?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To'omanga
JMK
Thompson
RFM
Jackson
Elliot

(Subs)
Napa
Hetherington
Waddell

Compare our pack to the rest of the teams and we don't come close. The dogs are known for having great forward packs but this forward pack is very unbulldog like.... I just don't see them holding up against other teams.....I reckon we need another big mobile line bending prop like AFB, Paulo Tataloa, etc..

When does Asofa Solomona come off contract? Surely he'd want more game time...
To say that you don’t see them holding up against other teams is quite a call. I think there plenty of untapped potential there. I don’t think they have been coached properly in the past

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We will be enormously better due to the fact Tolman won't be there to stifle the attack and kill any momentum the forwards start to build.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To say that you don’t see them holding up against other teams is quite a call. I think there plenty of untapped potential there. I don’t think they have been coached properly in the past
Im basing its off last years performance. Maybe my judgement is a bit unfair, hopefully Barrett can get the best out of them but I do reckon we a leader in the pack.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's plenty of potential in our pack and on their day each one of them can be diamonds.. but those diamonds are few and far between for most of them and we have been getting dealt rocks... So here's to hoping that Barrett can make them before better, but more importantly, more often..

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don’t think we’re that far off I think our back row is one of the best in the comp and if our front rowers are used properly there’s some quality there I think jmk is a weakness but not nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be our spine is the issue

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I really don’t think we’re that far off I think our back row is one of the best in the comp and if our front rowers are used properly there’s some quality there I think jmk is a weakness but not nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be our spine is the issue
No it defenitely isn't one of the best lol.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Storm - Bromwich, Kaufusi
Rabbitohs - Su'a, ?
Knights - Frizell, Barnett
Eels - Matterson, Lane
Warriors - Katoa, Harris
Titans - Fifita, Proctor
Roosters - Cordner, Crichton
Manly - Sironen, Gosiewski
Panthers - Kikau, Martin
Cowboys - ?, ?
Raiders - Whitehead, Tapine
Tigers - Leilua, Garner
Dragons - Sims, ?
Sharks - Graham, Nikora

Some good second rowers in there.

I think we beat a few teams but that's about it. I actually like our second row options, but when you compare them to other teams (which I'd say is a fans biggest problem) it isn't the best viewing, imo.

Last edited:

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm - Bromwich, Kaufusi
Rabbitohs - Su'a, ?
Knights - Frizell, Barnett
Eels - Matterson, Lane
Warriors - Katoa, Harris
Titans - Fifita, Proctor
Roosters - Cordner, Crichton
Manly - Sironen, Gosiewski
Panthers - Kikau, Martin
Cowboys - ?, ?
Raiders - Whitehead, Tapine
Tigers - Leilua, Garner
Dragons - Sims, ?
Sharks - Graham, Nikora

Some good second rowers in there.
Yeah fair call I still don’t think ours are that bad but maybe just a surplus of backrowers at the moment but I take your point

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barrett definitely has to unlock RFMs passing game. I can't remember if he could pass, but I remember him having an offload. He only had 7 offload this year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Barrett definitely has to unlock RFMs passing game. I can't remember if he could pass, but I remember him having an offload. He only had 7 offload this year.
RFM has an error in him which is probably why he lost his passing licence. It might be worth playing him through the middle. His pace and lateral movement is an issue for the edge already.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean Pay and Steve Georgarlis..They did what they could and it wasn’t anywhere near good enough. Hopefully this new coaching squad can sharpen our attack and mould our forwards into a tough/committed uncompromising pack.

We lost plenty of games by a handful of points the last 2 years. Ad Burton, Cotric, The Flange, Hetherington, Thommo, Waddell, etc plus the new coaching team and Uncle Arthur and I am pretty sure plenty of those close games could go our way.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on guys have fath, it's not the size of the dog in the fight...

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thompson and RFM are our best, Hetherington will surprise many, Elliott has been getting better and Jacko always gives 100%.

Ogden and To’omaga under played in the past and may get some good game time under TB.

Waddell looks a player too so I think our pack is underrated.

In saying that, Probably 1 x quality prop away from a strong pack.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some of our forwards had traits in the lower grades that they never bought into the NRL. Whether that was down to coaching for low risk football I don't know. But if the bulk of our pack are given licence to bring their skills into practice our pack may become a bit more creative. But momentum starts with good quality ball distribution from the hooker. If tbaz can get better structure from the pack it'll simplify the job for the hooker..

So while I won't say our pack is monstrous like it has been in better eras, I don't think we've seen all they can do if they're coached creatively. Handlers first year here saw our pack transform the playing style a lot. Hopefully Barrett can get huge improvement by bringing the confidence to play to their abilities whatever they are.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With a full pre season for the coaching staffs to work on it I expect we will see even more of an effect on the game from the 6 again. Particularly forwards, where I believe fast, active on their feet front rowers will really make an impact. And we are blessed with 2 of the best in Thompson and Hetherington, both with acceleration and good pace. Atoni is no slacker in that department either, Ogden and Napa are the ones I see struggling past the first 20 minutes or so.

Go Dogs