Should people with high mileage cars be embarrassed?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do to understand why people pay overs for old bomb cars. Even an old ford gtho, it would be lucky to run a mid 14 down the quarter mile, handle like a boat, waste a tonne of petrol. Pay a ridiculous amount?

Grab a wrx for $15,000, lower km, would outrun it in a straight line, beat it round a track , use less than half the fuel, have better comfort and air cond, more fun to drive and cost 1/10th? Am I missing something?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I do to understand why people pay overs for old bomb cars. Even an old ford gtho, it would be lucky to run a mid 14 down the quarter mile, handle like a boat, waste a tonne of petrol. Pay a ridiculous amount?

Grab a wrx for $15,000, lower km, would outrun it in a straight line, beat it round a track , use less than half the fuel, have better comfort and air cond, more fun to drive and cost 1/10th? Am I missing something?
Personal choice? I love my muscle cars.

I'd rather a V8 than a little jap car with a hairdryer.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Ford enthusiasts or ant car enthusiasts don't buy them for performance, they buy them for their retro appeal and place in Australian racing History.....and to launder dirty money!

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Honda S2000 01 model 99,000km. They’re going for crazy high prices atm.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
A guy at work turned up in his 2016 year hsv clubsport that he just bought .. he was grinning from ear to ear. Proud as punch bragging It has a LSA engine in it.. he said he paid $60k to buy it.

We all went out to look at it and it has 147000km on the clock.. :grinning: lol I thought, they saw him coming. Hit him with a sucker punch.

I have a WRX at home that has one third of those km, yes only 45000km and it's 10 years old.

The previous owner of the hsv would have thrashed the car, all those km.. passed it off to this sucker at work. He said he paid $60k too!! But he's so so happy. He thinks everyone is amazed at what he bought, haha. Geez people are dumb. I bet he paid more than $60k too and prob on finance.

Buying a car with those km for that sort of money, just dumb aren't they.

For a car with that sort of high mileage I wouldn't pay more than $10k regardless of the type of car, it's ready to give up the ghost. All the costs to fix

Just shook my head when I saw the mileage, winced in fact. almost coughed up my lunch as well.

I could break his heart if I showed him my WRX with a third of his km, mint condition.

People that buy high mileage cars and pay good money should be completely embarrassed
Ive said it before and I’ll say it again, you are one shallow individual! If the guy is happy with what he bought let him be happy with it! Who are you to judge anyone? You should be taking a long hard look in the mirror mate, your view on the world and other people is appalling! Give yourself an uppercut ya mootrag.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly the point, depends how it was used... But that part will remain unknown. That's the problem the seller will try to conceal the issues, if the car was rock solid with no problems the. Why sell?
Because people like upgrading every now and then dumb dumb.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I do know what I'm talking about. You seem like a guy that would buy any car that has turbo badges everywhere, seats with turbo inscribed in them, would you check under the hood to actually see if it's turbo? Do you even know what a turbo looks like?

Mileage is the biggest factor to determine if a car is any good, cars don't have infinite use, they wear out, mileage is an indicator how worn out it is

Who wants those cars you pictured if they are worn out? Clapped out?
10 of those cars he pictured are worth ten times the amount your dime a dozen WRX is dummy!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are vagines with high mileage serviceable? Plenty of randy blokes purchase those things, they'll drain your bank account quicker than a vintage car.
Those things are an endless money pit, but sure are fun to drive. Heard they can take a bit of a hammering. Just gotta watch for leakages as when they are running hot they are renowned for busting a hose and spilling the contents. Also, keep them well lubricated, maintained and clean and you should be able to get a few extra km's out of them.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Ive said it before and I’ll say it again, you are one shallow individual! If the guy is happy with what he bought let him be happy with it! Who are you to judge anyone? You should be taking a long hard look in the mirror mate, your view on the world and other people is appalling! Give yourself an uppercut ya mootrag.
My misses' cousin is like that. The **** has an old M3 and when I got my Walkie he said I should of got a beemer, it's only a Holden, can't compete with fast cars.

I let him talk until we went for a drive to the Entrance, it was very hard but I let him "win" little challenges on the way there. Kept bragging about his M3 all day.

On the way back, demolished him every time. Once we got home he asked WTF happened? I told him I just found out that my Holden comes with more than 2 gears lol

Obviously haven't heard or seen him since then.

Last edited:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
High kilometers do not matter anymore with the pedigree of a desirable or collectable car these days, most of the cars people want are going for big money are much older cars hence they will come with higher kms but its the condition and grade that people care about. Engines, gearboxes and transmissions can be rebuilt but shell/chassis abuse and deformations not so much so yeah if you have something rare people will pay for it and do what they need to it no issue.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can't miss something you don't understand.

One of my favourite cars and one I will own when I retire is the 1969 Corvette Stingray. Fiberglass body, big block chevy, 4 speed manual, they handle like a front end loader, give you fark all fuel economy, you need a salt flat to stop them, there'd be four driveways in Australia they can enter and you can't see shit from the cockpit. But the look and sound give me wood.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personal choice? I love my muscle cars.

I'd rather a V8 than a little jap car with a hairdryer.
V8 or jap turbo, dont matter. My point is the old cars simply dont stand up to more modern cars in any measurable way. My WRX would demolish an old gtho in every possible way. As would your V8...

My point is why would someone every pay the big money for an old ford gtho with high km and be demolished by everyone.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's got nothing to with being shallow.

High mileage cars represent very poor value for money.ive seen it hundreds of times over the years..

People buy a high mileage car of a particular model to buy at a cheap price. They are proud as punch thinking they know how to get a good deal

Then a few months later all the mechanical issues rear their ugly head, gearbox, diff, engine start needed major maintenance and cost... So now they cost blows out ahead of the low km mint condition models. But they still have a high mileage car no matter what they spend to fix it. Seats are high mileage, doors been slammed thousands of times more, steering loose, suspension saggy.. it just never ends

ALWAYS spend a bit more and get the low km mint condition car. Dont be the potato with short sight to buy a high mileage car cheap, this is the true definition of a sucker

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You can't miss something you don't understand.

One of my favourite cars and one I will own when I retire is the 1969 Corvette Stingray. Fiberglass body, big block chevy, 4 speed manual, they handle like a front end loader, give you fark all fuel economy, you need a salt flat to stop them, there'd be four driveways in Australia they can enter and you can't see shit from the cockpit. But the look and sound give me wood.
Fkn sexy! Better curves than a woman lol

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
V8 or jap turbo, dont matter. My point is the old cars simply dont stand up to more modern cars in any measurable way. My WRX would demolish an old gtho in every possible way. As would your V8...

My point is why would someone every pay the big money for an old ford gtho with high km and be demolished by everyone.
WRX's sound like absolute shit boxes. Not much beats the sound of a V8.
Have always been baffled as to why people who own WRX's and all those other rally car fucken things want a bigger exhaust to make a shit sound sound even shittier and louder. Got me fucked.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I get ya my bro but I really think it's personal choice. Don't get me wrong I'd love a 72 SS Chevelle and a Nismo R35 Godzilla.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
WRX's sound like absolute shit boxes. Not much beats the sound of a V8.
Have always been baffled as to why people who own WRX's and all those other rally car fucken things want a bigger exhaust to make a shit sound sound even shittier and louder. Got me fucked.
Motorhead, agree a V8 sounds better but WRX don't sound too bad..

What's worse is a V8 sounding tough but getting trampled on by a WRX. That's what would happen to an old ford xy gtho.. it's embarrassing making all the noise like many v8s then copping a punch from a turbo AWD to be sat down.

I owned a late model ford supercharged V8 with 650hp.. with enough road it was plenty fast but off a set of lights I wouldnt pick a fight with an AWD turbo car. You won't know which way it went. Not enough road to reel it in..