OLD Albert Hopoate

doggeddog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hearing that Albert Hopoate is set to sign with the Bulldogs in the coming days.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If 2 out of our last 3 roster spots are filled with Benji and A. Hopoate we're stuffed...

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the last spot is BSmith and Burton comes across in 22 , It’s not all bad

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If 2 out of our last 3 roster spots are filled with Benji and A. Hopoate we're stuffed...
Hmm, don't think either are necessarily bad ones. Both will come relatively cheap allowing us to spend big elsewhere either this year or next? If we were to get Smith for example, then that would be absolutely incredible and I'd have to say I'd be extremely happy with what we've done roster wise.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hmm, don't think either are necessarily bad ones. Both will come relatively cheap allowing us to spend big elsewhere either this year or next? If we were to get Smith for example, then that would be absolutely incredible and I'd have to say I'd be extremely happy with what we've done roster wise.
I just don't think them two would improve our roster enough to elevate us into the eight (or even close to it). It'd also mean we didn't have as much as I/we thought we had to spend for 2021 which is a worry where it's all tied up. If we were to sign someone like B. Smith (it'd have to be someone around this level with these 2 other signings) I'd be happy regardless, I'd love him.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the last spot is BSmith and Burton comes across in 22 , It’s not all bad
Our position at the end of the '20 season was that we had no halves, no hooker, no fullback ... so no spine basically. Add to that our outside backs had no speed or punch. And the front way wasn't making the metres.

From my side, if we sign Benji then we've without doubt strengthened our halves. The main thing though is that Burton is signed up for '22 already!

Hooker? It remains to be seen. If we don't sign one then ... I'll be disappointed, but in saying that if we sign a top hooker for '22 I can be patient.

Fullback? I think Avo will actually start there imo.

Outside backs? Cotric clearly is a step up. We've let go a lot of dead wood. If we sign Hopoate it's a risk injury wise, but by all accounts he's extremely talented so why not?

Props? We've sign an aggressive **** who I think gives us a step up.

Could it be better? Perhaps. But it all depends on what kind of business we can get wrapped up for '22

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just don't think them two would improve our roster enough to elevate us into the eight (or even close to it). It'd also mean we didn't have as much as I/we thought we had to spend for 2021 which is a worry where it's all tied up. If we were to sign someone like B. Smith (it'd have to be someone around this level with these 2 other signings) I'd be happy regardless, I'd love him.
Yes. Understand that. Of course wanted to have Burton here in '21 but if he can't be, I don't think there's a better option out there than Benji.

As for Hopoate? Depends on whether he's the last signing. Clearly talented but injuries has screwed him. Will come on the cheap, and I think is a step up on what we already have? Based on last year's performance anyway.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our position at the end of the '20 season was that we had no halves, no hooker, no fullback ... so no spine basically. Add to that our outside backs had no speed or punch. And the front way wasn't making the metres.

From my side, if we sign Benji then we've without doubt strengthened our halves. The main thing though is that Burton is signed up for '22 already!

Hooker? It remains to be seen. If we don't sign one then ... I'll be disappointed, but in saying that if we sign a top hooker for '22 I can be patient.

Fullback? I think Avo will actually start there imo.

Outside backs? Cotric clearly is a step up. We've let go a lot of dead wood. If we sign Hopoate it's a risk injury wise, but by all accounts he's extremely talented so why not?

Props? We've sign an aggressive c*** who I think gives us a step up.

Could it be better? Perhaps. But it all depends on what kind of business we can get wrapped up for '22
For sure and given that half our squad is off contract for 22 , if our results improve considerably in 21, we are a way more attractive prospect and the hopefully the signings improve too . We lost 7 games by less than 6 , with a bit more class and composure we win those and more

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For sure and given that half our squad is off contract for 22 , if our results improve considerably in 21, we are a way more attractive prospect and the hopefully the signings improve too . We lost 7 games by less than 6 , with a bit more class and composure we win those and more
Without doubt with the players mentioned we'll improve. Are we the finished item? No. But anyone expecting us to be in '21 is dreaming.

We need to be consistently competitive. And start winning some of those '7 less by 6 games'. Do that and we've set up an even better platform for '22.

In saying all of this, we really need to nail some of our top recruiting for '22 now though. This includes JAC, Burton, and that young prop from the Panthers. Hopefully we can get a top hooker in this year!

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Without doubt with the players mentioned we'll improve. Are we the finished item? No. But anyone expecting us to be in '21 is dreaming.

We need to be consistently competitive. And start winning some of those '7 less by 6 games'. Do that and we've set up an even better platform for '22.

In saying all of this, we really need to nail some of our top recruiting for '22 now though. This includes JAC, Burton, and that young prop from the Panthers. Hopefully we can get a top hooker in this year!
It’s onwards and upwards from here. We’ve already improved more than the Broncos,Manly,Cronulla and the dragons , who have to get rid of players just to stay compliant. And the Roosters Penrith Melbourne and Souths are beginning to feel the pinch too

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Blokes a Raider now so ....