News Bookmakers tip Bulldogs for NRL wooden spoon

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction we finished 9th in 2011. Not 12th. I hope he changes the structure to keep teams guessing and not keep it the same like Des did.
My Bad, must be the old age kicking my memory.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bookmakers have little faith in recently appointed coaches Trent Barrett, Kevin Walters and Anthony Griffin lifting their clubs above the premiership cellar next season.

The TAB has issued its first betting market on the wooden spoon (most losses) for 2021, with Canterbury Bulldogs favourites at $4 from the Broncos and St George Illawarra both at $5.

Despite hiring Barrett and new chief playmaker Kyle Flanagan from Sydney Roosters, the Bulldogs are expected to show little improvement, according to the TAB.

The Belmore club finished last season with just three wins.

The Broncos finished with the wooden spoon last season after opening as an $81 chance to get the game’s most dreaded prize. They are now their shortest quote ever before the start of the season to finish on the bottom.

If anything, the Broncos roster is in worse shape than last season without both David Fifita and Jack Bird.

They are relying on Walters to reinvigorate the roster with his renowned passion.

At the Bulldogs, Barrett says he is not concerned by the TAB’s assessment of his footy team.

“They’re entitled to their opinion,” Barrett said.

“We’re confident that we can improve from last year. After being there a week, whilst knowing we have a lot of work in 14 weeks to get ready, one thing I know is we won’t get beaten on effort.”

This time last year, Gold Coast Titans were $3.50 favourites for the spoon, but are now a $26 chance on the back of five straight wins to finish last season and the recruitment of gun forwards David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

TAB ODDS FOR MOST NRL LOSSES IN 2021

Canterbury $4 ($4 in 2020)

Brisbane $5 ($81 in 2020)

St George Illawarra $5 ($8 in 2020)

Wests Tigers $11 ($10 in 2020)

Cronulla $13 ($10 in 2020)

North Queensland $13 ($34 in 2020)

NZ Warriors $13 ($3.75 in 2020)

Newcastle $21 ($26 in 2020)

Gold Coast $26 ($3.50 in 2020)

Manly $26 ($67 in 2020)

Parramatta $34 ($101 in 2020)

Canberra $41 ($101 in 2020)

Melbourne $51 ($151 in 2020)

Souths $51 ($51 in 2020)

Sydney Roosters $67 ($81 in 2020)

Penrith $101 ($41 in 2020)

At the Bulldogs, Barrett says he is not concerned by the TAB’s assessment of his footy team.

“They’re entitled to their opinion,” Barrett said.

"whilst knowing we have a lot of work in 14 weeks to get ready, one thing I know is we won’t get beaten on effort.”

Fuck I love this!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They are on sportsbet now. Dogs $4 to make the top 8, $9 to make the top 4 and $51 to win it.
So we are $4 to get the spoon and $4 to make the 8, how the fark does that work?

Go Dgs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we are $4 to get the spoon and $4 to make the 8, how the fark does that work?

Go Dgs
$4 is a long odds to make the 8 when 8/16 sides qualify. They are never going to give anything bigger then $4-$5 to make the 8 no matter how bad the team at the start of the year.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Adam Elliott
Flush 2 Brandon Wakeham
Flush 3 Chris Smith
Flush 4 Christian Crichton
Trusting barrett 5 Corey Waddell
Flush 6 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Flush 7 Dean Britt
Flush 8 Dylan Napa
9 Jack Hetherington
10 Jake Averillo
11 James Roumanos
Flourish in 2021 or depart 12 Jayden Okunbor
Flush 13 Jeremy Marshall-King
Flush 14 Joe Stimson
Retain less money 15 Josh Jackson
16 Kyle Flanagan
Flush 17 Lachlan Lewis
Flourish in 2021 or depart 18 Luke Thompson
19 Nick Cotric
Flush 20 Nick Meaney
Flourish in 2021 or depart 21 Ofahiki Ogden
22 Renouf Fitala-Mariner
Flourish in 2021 or depart 23 Renouf Atoni
Flush 24 Sione Katoa
25 Tui Katoa
26 Tyrone Harding
Retain less money 27 Will Hopoate

The truth of the matter is the TAB assessment simply reflects our roster. Flannigan & Averillo will be under a lot of pressure to deliver as they are the only competent parts of the spine and they are young. I would love our team to succeed in 2021 but, with so many players in our roster that are not 1st grade standard, we are up against it. I have always maintained we will struggle in 2021 but 2022 we will be on the up. For 2021 we have hope in avoiding the spoon because McGuire will implode wests, Walters will realize his spine is shit, Manly will realize Des's way sucks balls, Brown will struggle to turn around an embedded toxic culture at the warriors and Cronulla simply have so many "Yesterdays heroes" that they need to move on that the unrest will destroy the team.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This needs to be printed up and stuck on the walls and used as motivation.

TBaz must create a special " US AGAINST THE WORLD " team mentality !
A Bond between players coach coaching staff and administration brought on by belief respect and trust !
I am not concerned what the odds are...
Never forget...The wolves are always circling !!!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
TBaz must create a special " US AGAINST THE WORLD " team mentality !
A Bond between players coach coaching staff and administration brought on by belief respect and trust !
I am not concerned what the odds are...
Never forget...The wolves are always circling !!!
Exactly! Our fans need to turn up in numbers too. Fuck having people knocking us and calling us cellar dwellers and wooden spoon favourites

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I had high hopes of a few more wins last season! I have faith in TBAZ but we need a game controlling dummy half, without that, we have no hope of top 8!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thanks mate. People are saying no more excuses for the club and board etc well that goes for the fans too. We sit there in a ghost town surrounded by people in wheelchairs, lifelong fans like Sue dying of cancer and people in their 90’s etc. We need to be a force again in all aspects

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be honest I had high hopes of a few more wins last season! I have faith in TBAZ but we need a game controlling dummy half, without that, we have no hope of top 8!
I have to admit last season the team's effort was Paramount, we lacked on talent in the spine...Simple as that !