News Bookmakers tip Bulldogs for NRL wooden spoon

Red_Horse

Waterboy
Reaction score
Tigers for mine, but saints also a good chance. I think they made a big mistake in hiring Griffin.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tigers or Cowboys are my early pick for the spoon. Could well be Manly too if injuries plague them again. I think the Broncos will improve enough to avoid it while still finishing low down the ladder.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When are the odds for top 8 coming out? Thats what I'm more interested in. I shall be placing a few dollars on us for that. I hope its its at the complete other end of the scale.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When are the odds for top 8 coming out? Thats what I'm more interested in. I shall be placing a few dollars on us for that. I hope its its at the complete other end of the scale.
They are on sportsbet now. Dogs $4 to make the top 8, $9 to make the top 4 and $51 to win it.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been following this club since the late 70's and one thing that has always worked in our favour is that when nobody gives us a chance, when everybody writes us off most times we respond and prove many people wrong. We have always performed better as the underdog, pardon the pun.

I'd hate to admit it as I'm a Blue, but it is very similar to the QLD mentally, its like - we are gonna do it just to shove it up everyone of you doubters, and especially for all you haters.

Trust me, this is a good thing!!!

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At the moment, I'm thinking we'll finish around the middle of the table. Either just in, or just out of the 8. I'd be very surprised if we went anywhere near the spoon. Anything else depends on further recruitment, and all the usual factors during a season (injury, suspension and unforeseen circumstances). From what I've seen so far, I'm optimistic that we'll do better than 2020.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bookmakers have little faith in recently appointed coaches Trent Barrett, Kevin Walters and Anthony Griffin lifting their clubs above the premiership cellar next season.

The TAB has issued its first betting market on the wooden spoon (most losses) for 2021, with Canterbury Bulldogs favourites at $4 from the Broncos and St George Illawarra both at $5.

Despite hiring Barrett and new chief playmaker Kyle Flanagan from Sydney Roosters, the Bulldogs are expected to show little improvement, according to the TAB.

The Belmore club finished last season with just three wins.

The Broncos finished with the wooden spoon last season after opening as an $81 chance to get the game’s most dreaded prize. They are now their shortest quote ever before the start of the season to finish on the bottom.

If anything, the Broncos roster is in worse shape than last season without both David Fifita and Jack Bird.

They are relying on Walters to reinvigorate the roster with his renowned passion.

At the Bulldogs, Barrett says he is not concerned by the TAB’s assessment of his footy team.

“They’re entitled to their opinion,” Barrett said.

“We’re confident that we can improve from last year. After being there a week, whilst knowing we have a lot of work in 14 weeks to get ready, one thing I know is we won’t get beaten on effort.”

This time last year, Gold Coast Titans were $3.50 favourites for the spoon, but are now a $26 chance on the back of five straight wins to finish last season and the recruitment of gun forwards David Fifita and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

TAB ODDS FOR MOST NRL LOSSES IN 2021

Canterbury $4 ($4 in 2020)

Brisbane $5 ($81 in 2020)

St George Illawarra $5 ($8 in 2020)

Wests Tigers $11 ($10 in 2020)

Cronulla $13 ($10 in 2020)

North Queensland $13 ($34 in 2020)

NZ Warriors $13 ($3.75 in 2020)

Newcastle $21 ($26 in 2020)

Gold Coast $26 ($3.50 in 2020)

Manly $26 ($67 in 2020)

Parramatta $34 ($101 in 2020)

Canberra $41 ($101 in 2020)

Melbourne $51 ($151 in 2020)

Souths $51 ($51 in 2020)

Sydney Roosters $67 ($81 in 2020)

Penrith $101 ($41 in 2020)

Barrett and the team should be reading this !!!
I would like to think they would use it as a motivation...I would !!!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I maybe a bit biased but I see at least 4 teams with a worse squad than us this year, we have recruited well in a couple of trouble positions, with spots left hopefully with that 1 maybe 2 that will improve us immensely

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2011 we finished 12th.
In the offseason we got very very fit and had a new coach with new ideas (even though his ideas were limited).
In 2012 we finished as minor premiers.

Present day, TBaz has promised that he will get our boys fit - and we know he will bring a new attacking game to our structures that we haven't seen at our club for Donkey's years.
In 2021 ???

(I just noticed how interesting it is that 2012 & 2021 are the same, but different... all the same numbers lol).

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In 2011 we finished 12th.
In the offseason we got very very fit and had a new coach with new ideas (even though his ideas were limited).
In 2012 we finished as minor premiers.

Present day, TBaz has promised that he will get our boys fit - and we know he will bring a new attacking game to our structures that we haven't seen at our club for Donkey's years.
In 2021 ???

(I just noticed how interesting it is that 2012 & 2021 are the same, but different... all the same numbers lol).
Correction we finished 9th in 2011. Not 12th. I hope he changes the structure to keep teams guessing and not keep it the same like Des did.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really have to wonder about agencies putting any of the teams with new coaches as fav for the spoon. When was the last time a team with a new coach won it? Siebold was in his second year. Titans last year didn't have Holbrook on board yet, Parra got it the year before under Barthur who started 3 years earlier. The Knits won the spoon 3 years running, NBrown's first year was the middle one, 2016, which makes it a special case.

By and large even poor squads play above their level in the first year under a new coach. I'd be looking at bottom 8 finishers from 2020 who DON'T have a new coach.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
While i dont expect us to win the premiership next year, i cant see a spoon happening. That would mean we would have to be worse than this year, which i cant see as possible. They have picked us to get the spoon the last few years and were wrong both times. Close to getting it once isnt good enough lol.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
While i dont expect us to win the premiership next year, i cant see a spoon happening. That would mean we would have to be worse than this year, which i cant see as possible. They have picked us to get the spoon the last few years and were wrong both times. Close to getting it once isnt good enough lol.
or other teams are better than they were this year. E.g. we could improve by 10% whereas the Broncos could improve by 30%. I don't think we'll get the wooden spoon, but there's a bit more that goes into it.