Should people with high mileage cars be embarrassed?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy at work turned up in his 2016 year hsv clubsport that he just bought .. he was grinning from ear to ear. Proud as punch bragging It has a LSA engine in it.. he said he paid $60k to buy it.

We all went out to look at it and it has 147000km on the clock.. :grinning: lol I thought, they saw him coming. Hit him with a sucker punch.

I have a WRX at home that has one third of those km, yes only 45000km and it's 10 years old.

The previous owner of the hsv would have thrashed the car, all those km.. passed it off to this sucker at work. He said he paid $60k too!! But he's so so happy. He thinks everyone is amazed at what he bought, haha. Geez people are dumb. I bet he paid more than $60k too and prob on finance.

Buying a car with those km for that sort of money, just dumb aren't they.

For a car with that sort of high mileage I wouldn't pay more than $10k regardless of the type of car, it's ready to give up the ghost. All the costs to fix

Just shook my head when I saw the mileage, winced in fact. almost coughed up my lunch as well.

I could break his heart if I showed him my WRX with a third of his km, mint condition.

People that buy high mileage cars and pay good money should be completely embarrassed

Last edited:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It depends on when the car was bought.
I had a 2011 Audi A4 which had about 15000k's when I bought it in 2012.
My missus still drives it now and it has over 150000k's on it. Financially it's not worth selling or trading it in, but the car is mechanically sound and has no issues so she'll keep driving it until it starts to play up and then we'll get rid of it and get something a year or two old with low k's and do the same again.
I highly doubt that I would buy a car, even a HSV, which has over 100,000k's, probably not even over 30,000k's.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As an ex mechanic, to me, mileage doesn't mean much if it has a full log booked service history. There is obvious a point where ya go, that's getting up there let's look around.

Shit I've seen 1994 Hiluxs with 800,000km on the clock and all of those kms driven by rough Rotorua (NZ) Forestry Boys and the bastards keep on going.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
If I had 60 grand there’s no way I’d spend that much money on a vehicle with that much mileage!
What is wrong with this guy?
For that price he could of bought two brand new cars!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Modern engines pistons etc take forever to wear out, the gaskets will go first.
People too scared to learn to drive should be embarrassed.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
A guy at work turned up in his 2016 year hsv clubsport that he just bought .. he was grinning from ear to ear. Proud as punch bragging It has a LSA engine in it.. he said he paid $60k to buy it.

We all went out to look at it and it has 147000km on the clock.. :grinning: lol I thought, they saw him coming. Hit him with a sucker punch.

I have a WRX at home that has one third of those km, yes only 45000km and it's 10 years old.

The previous owner of the hsv would have thrashed the car, all those km.. passed it off to this sucker at work. He said he paid $60k too!! But he's so so happy. He thinks everyone is amazed at what he bought, haha. Geez people are dumb. I bet he paid more than $60k too and prob on finance.

Buying a car with those km for that sort of money, just dumb aren't they.

For a car with that sort of high mileage I wouldn't pay more than $10k regardless of the type of car, it's ready to give up the ghost. All the costs to fix

Just shook my head when I saw the mileage, winced in fact. almost coughed up my lunch as well.

I could break his heart if I showed him my WRX with a third of his km, mint condition.

People that buy high mileage cars and pay good money should be completely embarrassed
I guess it depends on the vehicle. Mine is 12 years old and I bought it with 112k kms on the clock, but 6k of them I put on and it was rebuilt at 90k and serviced ever 5k at Walkie in Newscastle.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on when the car was bought.
I had a 2011 Audi A4 which had about 15000k's when I bought it in 2012.
My missus still drives it now and it has over 150000k's on it. Financially it's not worth selling or trading it in, but the car is mechanically sound and has no issues so she'll keep driving it until it starts to play up and then we'll get rid of it and get something a year or two old with low k's and do the same again.
I highly doubt that I would buy a car, even a HSV, which has over 100,000k's, probably not even over 30,000k's.
That's ok friend .. big difference... You did all the km... You bought with low km and know the history .

But to buy a car with high km to start with, those people should be embarrassed.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sentimentality would play a part keeping a set of vintage wheels. Getting your first back seat root or roadie blow job, using it to run over your mother in law are all valid reasons to keep it.
Keeping a car you put the km on it is ok , but buying a car with high mileage already, criminal act

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Keeping a car you put the km on it is ok , but buying a car with high mileage already, criminal act
Bro what's you definition of high?

I think any car with more 20k per year is high.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My car has 320k on it. If you look after it doesn’t really matter. And I guess if you drive in city all the time how would you rack up ks. I do around 600-700 ks a week just to get to and from work.
For me a second hand car with around 150k is fine to look at buying.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Modern engines pistons etc take forever to wear out, the gaskets will go first.
People too scared to learn to drive should be embarrassed.
Theres a lot of people on the road who don't know how to drive but they're still driving.

I wonder which service NSW workers take bribes to give out dodgy licensing?

Auburn and Bankstown is where I would target if I were an investigator

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh when you have high Ks you would want to have had the car a while first so you know where it is in needing expensive work done. I have a 2005 XR6 in mint condition and goes like a new one, but has 220,000km now. Ive had it since 2007 though when it was low ks. Love the car. Prefer the design inside and out more than more recent models. Every now and then i throw some decent cash at it on top of normal services, and it keeps going. Its still cheaper than repayments on a newer one. No reason it cant do 1 million ks if maintained.

If you had bought my car before i recently replaced the diff, got new tires and re-tinted the windows (spent over 3k), it wouldn't have been as good a deal as it is now. Not that id sell it. Just saying about timing being important, buying a high km car.

Last edited:

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh when you have high Ks you would want to have had the car a while first so you know where it is in needing expensive work done. I have a 2005 XR6 in mint condition and goes like a new one, but has 220,000km now. Ive had it since 2007 though when it was low ks. Love the car. Prefer the design inside and out more than more recent models. Every now and then i throw some decent cash at it on top of normal services, and it keeps going. Its still cheaper than repayments on a newer one. No reason it cant do 1 million ks if maintained.

If you had bought my car before i recently replaced the diff, got new tires and re-tinted the windows (spent over 3k), it wouldn't have been as good a deal as it is now. Not that id sell it. Just saying about timing being important, buying a high km car.
Agree with you.... Having owned it for a while and keeping up the maintenance is a good idea, save heaps of money.

But for most used cars with a few hard km on them, the owner is trying to offload as it's giving them problems, pass on the trouble to someone else, kick the can up the road.

Not many will fix everything and then sell it or at least disclose the faults so the new owner makes a fair decision .

The answer is just don't buy a car with high mileage, there could be a few good ones out there but the overwhelming majority are problematic.. the good ones like your xr6 aren't for sale