Rumour Players who almost signed with the Dogs

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reading Trent Barretts interview today, he mention that he almost signed with the dogs in the late 90s before the Steelers merged. Imagine Barrett at his peak in Blue n White playing alongside Polly or Shifty!

My question is.... Who else (Superstars of the day) did we come close to signing or miss out on?

Correct me I'm wrong but was Mat Rogers close to signing with us because he wanted to play 5/8th before he eventually left for union?

It may not matter now but just thought it might make interesting discussion since it's the boring off season....

What was the Oil like back then?

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Did Andy Farrell nearly sign with us when he was in his prime? Also maybe one of the Paul Brothers, Robbie or Henry..... And maybe Joe Vagana...

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go by the Rumours thread on this forum, literally everyone who has played rugby league has been linked to us at some point. Mostly to raise their price so they get more $'s elsewhere. Hopefully those days are over.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke ricketson almost come over in the late 90s I know Jonah lomu was offered huge cash in 95
Almost got kimmorley in 95 too I’m sure we missed out on some good ones remember we had the future Fittler in 2000 anasta hence why we let Thurston go and did t go for barrett

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have heard Mark Geyer say Bullfrog had him signed to come over to the Dogs until he changed his mind at the last minute.