Opinion Centre targets for 2022

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I do agree, there seems to be fuck all to no chance we are getting Smith or Grant, so that does leave us with any other hooker options of the same calibre and price tag. So im not expecting us to need to spend 800k + on a hooker any time soon.
We have a potential fb in Averilo who is on probably not more then 300k, we have Flanagan on 350k, and possibly Burton on a reported 400k. Thats not an expensive spine by any stretch!! But it's potentially a very good one. So that gives us money to spend in other places, like our centres.
Personally I'd rather Grant than Best or Staggs, but if we are no chance of nabbing him or Smith, then these are the two guns I'd be going for! We need another outside back regardless after allowing Smith to leave.
Averillo is a potential fullback.....so many people assume he will work out at fullback....I’m not so sure....

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if averillo doesn’t cut it as a fullback....then we will need to invest in a gun fullback....save the money for JAC
Same if Cotric is rubbish at centre. We would have to probably have a go at Staggs then.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its true, he may not, but how does anyone know if JAC will cut it as a fb either?!
I honestly think JAC will make a gun fullback.....I might be wrong yes.....but who else is available

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cotric has played a fair bit of centre. Doesn't look out of place at all
I’m not saying he will be terrible but he has played the majority of his career in the NRL on the wing so it’s a big change. There is always a chance moving to centre might not work out.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’m not saying he will be terrible but he has played the majority of his career in the NRL on the wing so it’s a big change. There is always a chance moving to centre might not work out.
His best position in the juniors was left centre but he was never going to get that spot at the Raiders until Jarrod Croker retired.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His best position in the juniors was left centre but he was never going to get that spot at the Raiders until Jarrod Croker retired.
That’s great there still a element there where it might not work. Nothing is ever guaranteed. I’m not saying it will but we would have to go out and buy a highly rated centre if it doesn’t work.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly think JAC will make a gun fullback.....I might be wrong yes.....but who else is available
A super athletic half is a far more likely chance of cutting at fb then a winger mate.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so many fans here wetting their pants over Staggs. It will be a waste of money and he's overrated. So much hype of those Brisbane players and they finished below the 2020 dogs side which on paper is stacked with reserve graders.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really excited with the prospect of Cotric and Shooup as our centres at some point.
After jmoz left, I got a little tired of seeing Reimis, Montoya, DWZ, Averillo trying to be turned into centres. And Hoppa never was the same after his injury this year. I know he's highly regarded as our best back and rightly so at the moment. And I'm not bashing on the guy. He's given us some very good moments. But we need more than silky hands. We need the pace and power that most strike centres have at other clubs.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Albert hopoate axed a bit earlier by manly... backline addition coming?