Opinion Centre targets for 2022

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mormoroski is another one. Storm didn't utilise him in their loan deal due to injury etc, if Tigers have him in reserves he could be a cheap steal also

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There will be quite a few current "unknowns" who will play centre in various Flegg teams early next year that will be first grade quality in 12 months- given the Dogs have about half their top 30 squad off contract for 2022 - good situation to be in.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly. Shoup may be good to go in 2022, but we still don't know how he will progress to NRL standard. If we let hoppa go then we basically cover the majority of Staggs or Best's contract. These 2 guys are fucking beasts!!
Compare the 2 backlines:

1. Hoppa
2. Meaney
3. Holland
4. DWZ
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis

1. Averilo
2. Okunbour
3. Cotric
4. Best or Staggs
5. DWZ (I think he is contracted in 2022?)
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

So much better
It's likely we're signing an outside back for this season and if it's Naden or someone similar then I think we will be okay.

Two of Hoppa/Cotric/Naden @ centre with the other on the wing with DWZ (hopefully not fully shit DWZ). That's an improvement on last season and it gives us time to evaluate what we have and see how certain players develop before we decide what type of player we actually need from the market for 2022...obviously depth is pretty poor so hopefully we can stay mostly injury free.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's likely we're signing an outside back for this season and if it's Naden or someone similar then I think we will be okay.

Two of Hoppa/Cotric/Naden @ centre with the other on the wing with DWZ (hopefully not fully shit DWZ). That's an improvement on last season and it gives us time to evaluate what we have and see how certain players develop before we decide what type of player we actually need from the market for 2022...obviously depth is pretty poor so hopefully we can stay mostly injury free.
Nek minut we get Malakai Watene Zelzniak and he plays with fully shit DWZ

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Picken looked good as a fb in Hm a few years back - copped a lof of injuries in SGball - was impressive defensively not so much in attack. Only had limited flegg time at end of 2019.
Im not sure he got "picked" ahead of Schoupp - i tend to think a few of the full time squad and development squad "picks" are the result of long term junior enticement contract arrangements from previous regimes.
Schoup was ahead in the pecking order last year
Have you seen Schoupp play? I've only ever seen a highlights package and he did look like an absolute powerhouse so it's a bit of mystery when it comes to him.

We do currently have 3 spots in our 30 available and 1 development spot...is it possible we're waiting to see what we can do on the market before deciding what to do with Schoupp?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The thing you need to consider with our cap is the hookers are taking up a tiny fraction of what they should right now and hopefully when we eventually get a decent one they will be taking up a much larger chunk of cap space. I dunno if you can afford to have your centre’s taking up over a million. Maybe they can all fit in? But if I had a choice between Staggs and a genuine hooker I’m taking a hooker every time you can get away with having a decent but not great centre.
Makes you wonder how the roosters seem to have the best of almost every position

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you seen Schoupp play? I've only ever seen a highlights package and he did look like an absolute powerhouse so it's a bit of mystery when it comes to him.

We do currently have 3 spots in our 30 available and 1 development spot...is it possible we're waiting to see what we can do on the market before deciding what to do with Schoupp?
I dont recall seeing him play, Im sure there will continue to be movement of players between now and start of the season. All clubs need to get salary cap and squads balanced, some players will be told there most likely to be considered 'depth" players or less at best. Dogs need a centre or two.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Katoni Staggs is an absolute must, the only problem being is that we will face strong competition from rival clubs also wanting his signature. I guess it all come down to how much are we willing to pay.
Offer him some toes on top to sweeten the deal, we know he is a SUCKER for that.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As it becomes more and more likely that Chrichton won't be leaving the Panfers, I believe the club needs to go all out for Katoni Staggs or Bradman Best.
Who else would you suggest?
Those two you suggested would do very nicely!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

AARON SCHOUPP looks and plays like a Beast in this highlights package :grinning:

AARON SCHOUPP
Height: 183cm

Weight: 98kg

Birthplace: Figtree, New South Wales

Date of Birth: 29-6-2001

Position: Centre

Junior Club: Thirroul Butchers
First time I've seen him run around, must say I'm very impressed.......just would love to see him do the same at NRL level for the Dogs

I love this kid, look at the power / strength this kid has :grinning:

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
AARON SCHOUPP looks like a Beast in this highlights package :grinning:

AARON SCHOUPP
Height: 183cm

Weight: 98kg

Birthplace: Figtree, New South Wales

Date of Birth: 29-6-2001

Position: Centre

Junior Club: Thirroul Butchers
First time I've seen him run around, must say I'm very impressed.......just would love to see him do the same at NRL level for the Dogs

I love this kid, look at the power / strength this kid has :grinning:

Fuck me, what a beast!! Thats some big weight for a 19 year old!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get your perspective, but this is the logical ption when you currently have a very competitive team, which we do not!! Therefore we need to buy a few rep players.
For arguments sake, let's just say this is our starting 13 next year, how many are rep players??

1. Averilo
2. Okunbour
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thomson
9. JMK
10. Ogden
11. RFM
12. Elliot
13. Jackson

There are only 2 consistent rep players in that starting 13. One of which is English. Cotric can't even get a start in our 2020 SOO team, so he almost isn't a rep player as it stands.
As I see things, we definitely have some space for at least 1 more rep player salary!
Its always important to have good juniors coming through the ranks to give you an option to move an established player on to create some spending money, but youdont have this luxury of waiting a few years when your squad is so average. Especially when once again we will have quite a few players off contract next year.
What if averillo doesn’t cut it as a fullback....then we will need to invest in a gun fullback....save the money for JAC

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What if averillo doesn’t cut it as a fullback....then we will need to invest in a gun fullback....save the money for JAC
Its true, he may not, but how does anyone know if JAC will cut it as a fb either?!