Opinion Centre targets for 2022

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As it becomes more and more likely that Chrichton won't be leaving the Panfers, I believe the club needs to go all out for Katoni Staggs or Bradman Best.
Who else would you suggest?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Katoni Staggs is an absolute must, the only problem being is that we will face strong competition from rival clubs also wanting his signature. I guess it all come down to how much are we willing to pay.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Cotric fires at centre I'm not so sure we really need to be spending big bucks there especially when we have a few promising juniors coming through. Recruiting established players like Staggs blows the cap so quickly.
Yep totally agree. I'd be waiting to see how Schoup and Alamoti go first before I invest big bucks in another centre.
In saying that from what I've seen, Staggs is better than Best since he has a bit of an offload in him

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep totally agree. I'd be waiting to see how Schoup and Alamoti go first before I invest big bucks in another centre.
In saying that from what I've seen, Staggs is better than Best since he has a bit of an offload in him
Schoupp isn't even in the top 30 or development squad as of yet while Alamoti is still a kid lol.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have big money invested in Cotric and you'd probably have to pay Staggs or Best similar money to get them too.

See how Alamoti and Schoupp develop and if they aren't going to cut it you have to target the best junior centres before they debut.

You can buy a few established NRL and rep players but can't fill a team with them as you just can't fit them under the cap.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have big money invested in Cotric and you'd probably have to pay Staggs or Best similar money to get them too.

See how Alamoti and Schoupp develop and if they aren't going to cut it you have to target the best junior centres before they debut.

You can buy a few established NRL and rep players but can't fill a team with them as you just can't fit them under the cap.
We need to find another Willie Tonga or Jmoz.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You can if your the Roosters :grinning:

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone seen kurt picken? Hes listed as a ctr/fb. He got picked in front of schoupp

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schoupp isn't even in the top 30 or development squad as of yet while Alamoti is still a kid lol.
True but after this off season, Schoupp may impress and nab a top 30 spot.
How old is Alamoti? I think he'll be 17 next year so he could be ready to play FG in 22. The guns can usually go from Jersey Flegg to FG in one year (like Avo and Burton did).
I'm just saying, see what we've got first, and if they dont cut it, then go out and buy what we need

Last edited:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True but after this off season, Schoupp may impress and nab a top 30 spot.
How old is Alamoti? I think he's be 17 next year so he could be ready to play FG in 22. The guns can usually go from Jersey Flegg to FG in one year (like Avo and Burton did).
I'm just saying, see what we've got first, and if they dont cut it, then go out and buy what we need
I all for giving our kids a go but if a player of the caliber of Katoni Staggs comes on the open market you would be a fool not to try and sign him to your club.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly. Shoup may be good to go in 2022, but we still don't know how he will progress to NRL standard. If we let hoppa go then we basically cover the majority of Staggs or Best's contract. These 2 guys are fucking beasts!!
Compare the 2 backlines:

1. Hoppa
2. Meaney
3. Holland
4. DWZ
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis

1. Averilo
2. Okunbour
3. Cotric
4. Best or Staggs
5. DWZ (I think he is contracted in 2022?)
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

So much better

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Shoup may be good to go in 2022, but we still don't know how he will progress to NRL standard. If we let hoppa go then we basically cover the majority of Staggs or Best's contract. These 2 guys are fucking beasts!!
Compare the 2 backlines:

1. Hoppa
2. Meaney
3. Holland
4. DWZ
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis

1. Averilo
2. Okunbour
3. Cotric
4. Best or Staggs
5. DWZ (I think he is contracted in 2022?)
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

So much better
The thing you need to consider with our cap is the hookers are taking up a tiny fraction of what they should right now and hopefully when we eventually get a decent one they will be taking up a much larger chunk of cap space. I dunno if you can afford to have your centre’s taking up over a million. Maybe they can all fit in? But if I had a choice between Staggs and a genuine hooker I’m taking a hooker every time you can get away with having a decent but not great centre.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I get your perspective, but this is the logical ption when you currently have a very competitive team, which we do not!! Therefore we need to buy a few rep players.
For arguments sake, let's just say this is our starting 13 next year, how many are rep players??

1. Averilo
2. Okunbour
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thomson
9. JMK
10. Ogden
11. RFM
12. Elliot
13. Jackson

There are only 2 consistent rep players in that starting 13. One of which is English. Cotric can't even get a start in our 2020 SOO team, so he almost isn't a rep player as it stands.
As I see things, we definitely have some space for at least 1 more rep player salary!
Its always important to have good juniors coming through the ranks to give you an option to move an established player on to create some spending money, but youdont have this luxury of waiting a few years when your squad is so average. Especially when once again we will have quite a few players off contract next year.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing you need to consider with our cap is the hookers are taking up a tiny fraction of what they should right now and hopefully when we eventually get a decent one they will be taking up a much larger chunk of cap space. I dunno if you can afford to have your centre’s taking up over a million. Maybe they can all fit in? But if I had a choice between Staggs and a genuine hooker I’m taking a hooker every time you can get away with having a decent but not great centre.
While I do agree, there seems to be fuck all to no chance we are getting Smith or Grant, so that does leave us with any other hooker options of the same calibre and price tag. So im not expecting us to need to spend 800k + on a hooker any time soon.
We have a potential fb in Averilo who is on probably not more then 300k, we have Flanagan on 350k, and possibly Burton on a reported 400k. Thats not an expensive spine by any stretch!! But it's potentially a very good one. So that gives us money to spend in other places, like our centres.
Personally I'd rather Grant than Best or Staggs, but if we are no chance of nabbing him or Smith, then these are the two guns I'd be going for! We need another outside back regardless after allowing Smith to leave.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get your perspective, but this is the logical ption when you currently have a very competitive team, which we do not!! Therefore we need to buy a few rep players.
For arguments sake, let's just say this is our starting 13 next year, how many are rep players??

1. Averilo
2. Okunbour
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thomson
9. JMK
10. Ogden
11. RFM
12. Elliot
13. Jackson

There are only 2 consistent rep players in that starting 13. One of which is English. Cotric can't even get a start in our 2020 SOO team, so he almost isn't a rep player as it stands.
As I see things, we definitely have some space for at least 1 more rep player salary!
Its always important to have good juniors coming through the ranks to give you an option to move an established player on to create some spending money, but youdont have this luxury of waiting a few years when your squad is so average. Especially when once again we will have quite a few players off contract next year.
Yeah I totally get what you’re saying and I’m not saying you never buy rep players you just need to be selective with what positions and Cotric is already a rep player. You can’t fill the whole team with them so do you want to have two at centre?

I’d be much more comfortable getting a competent NRL standard centre partnering Cotic and strengthening other parts of the team with a rep player or two.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I all for giving our kids a go but if a player of the caliber of Katoni Staggs comes on the open market you would be a fool not to try and sign him to your club.
And he is available as of the end of next year.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen kurt picken? Hes listed as a ctr/fb. He got picked in front of schoupp
Picken looked good as a fb in Hm a few years back - copped a lof of injuries in SGball - was impressive defensively not so much in attack. Only had limited flegg time at end of 2019.
Im not sure he got "picked" ahead of Schoupp - i tend to think a few of the full time squad and development squad "picks" are the result of long term junior enticement contract arrangements from previous regimes.
Schoup was ahead in the pecking order last year

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
As it becomes more and more likely that Chrichton won't be leaving the Panfers, I believe the club needs to go all out for Katoni Staggs or Bradman Best.
Who else would you suggest?
Personally if think a nice cheap signing like Jackson Ferris at left centre would be great and wait for Schoupp or Alomati to be ready rather than blowing cash on any other centres atm. Best will stay at newy, Staggs likes right edge like Cotric so wouldn't work well imo

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I do agree, there seems to be fuck all to no chance we are getting Smith or Grant, so that does leave us with any other hooker options of the same calibre and price tag. So im not expecting us to need to spend 800k + on a hooker any time soon.
We have a potential fb in Averilo who is on probably not more then 300k, we have Flanagan on 350k, and possibly Burton on a reported 400k. Thats not an expensive spine by any stretch!! But it's potentially a very good one. So that gives us money to spend in other places, like our centres.
Personally I'd rather Grant than Best or Staggs, but if we are no chance of nabbing him or Smith, then these are the two guns I'd be going for! We need another outside back regardless after allowing Smith to leave.
I don’t think we are much hope with Staggs either to be honest. If the Broncos have a good season he will re-sign there. It’s so difficult to forecast what’s going to happen almost 18 months out from 22 we have no idea who will perform for us that needs an upgrade, what juniors come out of the ground for us or other clubs and who becomes available on the open market.