Jack Hetherington

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s got aggression which we need but does he actually make metres? We need a prop that can roll downfield like when we had kasiano

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Amazing athlete, bullet passes, lunges in defence like Adam perry used to, and quick as all phuck....no brainer, save 400k on Brandon Smith
If Reuben Cotter is available and interested seems like a no brainer to make enquiries...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Skills can be taught mate and you have coming a good attacking coach. Ala Victor Radley, Hetherington is tough and can be taught the skills to play a similar role. You have to remember he's been stuck behind the Penrith pack who've had I think zero injuries and playing out of their skins. He got loaned to the Warriors and has added to them and their recent form.
Skills can be taught? Bro, this is the NRL not junior footy. Players have spent a large chunk of their life playing and learning the game, the idea that they can be taught certain skills at NRL level that they failed to learn if their previous years is no where near as simple as some make it sound.

Radley was previously a hooker was he not? I'm not sure, I don't know all that much about him. If so then a lot for the core skills would've been there and it was more a matter of continuing to develop them and learning how to apply them in different ways.

To my knowledge Hetherington has showed very little other than running and tackling like a lunatic..an aggressive player but not exactly a physically dominant one? No real footy nous either? Maybe he has showed more in the lower grades...well hopefully he has if we've ended up with him.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skills can be taught? Bro, this is the NRL not junior footy. Players have spent a large chunk of their life playing and learning the game, the idea that they can be taught certain skills at NRL level that they failed to learn if their previous years is no where near as simple as some make it sound.

Radley was previously a hooker was he not? I'm not sure, I don't know all that much about him. If so then a lot for the core skills would've been there and it was more a matter of continuing to develop them and learning how to apply them in different ways.

To my knowledge Hetherington has showed very little other than running and tackling like a lunatic..an aggressive player but not exactly a physically dominant one? No real footy nous either? Maybe he has showed more in the lower grades...well hopefully he has if we've ended up with him.
Fair points but I still think he'd add something to your pack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fair points but I still think he'd add something to your pack.
He will add something...but we need to be aiming higher than "something". I've previously said I'd sacrifice some depth so we can go out and spend a little extra on quality...what good does us having a few extra average NRL players do for us? Not much.

So far we've added Green, Waddel and potentially Hetherington....these are just more squad players that don't really add that much more or different to what we already have...so unless we have major overhaul this off season and suddenly become a well drilled unit then I just don't see how these blokes lift us a level or two from where we're at now.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Foran's Manly reunion inches closer but Hetherington won't join him

The Sea Eagles could welcome Keiran Foran home in the unfamiliar position of hooker as early as next week, but Jack Hetherington won't be joining him on the Northern Beaches.

NRL.com understands that Hetherington informed suitors Manly and the Warriors this week that his future does not lie with either club after being given permission to explore a move from Penrith.

Canterbury now loom as favourites for his signature should a release from his 2021 Panthers contract come about, though no formal offer has been lodged by the Bulldogs yet.

Talks are scheduled to continue next week between Hetherington's camp and both clubs.

Penrith are loath to lose the 24-year-old but won't stand in his way if he can secure a longer contract and regular NRL game time elsewhere.

Incoming Bulldogs coach and current Panthers assistant Trent Barrett looms as the trump card in potentially taking him to Belmore after Manly's interest was knocked back.

Hetherington's desire to stay in Sydney is understood to have ruled the Warriors out despite enjoying his loan stint with the club this season.

The Sea Eagles are still in the market for a front-rower after Addin Fonua-Blake's own Warriors move freed up a sizeable chunk of salary cap space to work with, with former Bulldog Foran their immediate priority.

Talks around handing Foran a one-year NRL lifeline will continue into next week as Manly's season reviews take place.

The looming Sea Eagles offer is believed to include an option for a second season in the club’s favour, with final negotiations around that clause the last hurdle to Foran's return.

No official comment has been made by Manly, Penrith or Canterbury on the futures of Hetherington and Foran.

Manly's roster has been a focus since Fonua-Blake's exit became public last week, with fellow big man Taniela Paseka upgraded on an extension until the end of 2024 and Manase Fainu also re-signed for another two years.

Foran's potential return to the Northern Beaches has prompted club officials to tout a shift to hooker for the veteran playmaker.

The prospect of rekindling his halves partnership with Daly Cherry-Evans has caused angst around the future of prodigious 19-year-old playmaker Josh Schuster.

Foran's mooted arrival had caused angst around Schuster's future given he has been touted as Manly's long-term five-eighth, but he remains contracted to the Sea Eagles until the end of 2022.

With Fainu still unavailable under the NRL's no-fault stand down policy until next July when he goes on trial over an alleged assault, a move into the forwards for Foran could offer much needed depth in the hooking role.

Danny Levi has been told he won't be offered a contract for 2021, while Cade Cust and Lachlan Croker are the other half-hooker options in Manly's squad as the injured Dylan Walker eyes a move from five-eighth back to the centres.

Whether Foran's body can hold up to the physical demands of defending up front is the biggest question.

He is nursing a ruptured pectoral that is expected to sideline him until Christmas after an injury-plagued stint at Canterbury.

It was Hasler that first brought Foran to Belmore before his own tenure ended in 2017, with the Kiwi international playing just 40 games in three years for the Bulldogs when his multimillion-dollar deal ranked him as one of the best-paid playmakers in the NRL.

When Foran did get on the paddock he was consistently one of Canterbury's best and worked his way back into the New Zealand Test side last year before cruelly suffering a dislocated shoulder five minutes into his Kiwis return.

The Bulldogs tabled a one-year offer to keep Foran, but the 30-year-old opted to go to market in search of a longer deal.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If he dies the tolman job, but with bite, that's all that's needful.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Watch us eventually lose To'Omaga because we sign fucking Hetheringron

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is that an either/or proposition though?
We have lost Sue and Tolman.
Hetherington takes the Sue spot (but plays the Tolman role), and presume we get another more established premium hard nut, will take the Tolman spot, but a more kasiano type role.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is that an either/or proposition though?
We have lost Sue and Tolman.
Hetherington takes the Sue spot (but plays the Tolman role), and presume we get another more established premium hard nut, will take the Tolman spot, but a more kasiano type role.
Completely agree... and factor in Napa at this stage most likely would not be resigned beyond 2021 I don’t see a problem at all.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
How could any sane person think that signing Foran at all let alone at hooker is a good decision? Wow Des! Surely there's some alarm bells ringing from fans and club officials out that way??

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How could any sane person think that signing Foran at all let alone at hooker is a good decision? Wow Des! Surely there's some alarm bells ringing from fans and club officials out that way??
Can't wait to see how big of a fail this ends up being. Manly fans at the moment are probably being blinded by the nostalgia of it all, but we all know here that Foran wouldn't last 5min playing at Hooker.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm not really concerned about that, I'm just concerned that we're singing another average player on overs that does little to improve us.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like To'Omaga, I really do.

But Hetherington has shown more in the few games he played for the Warriors than To'Omaga has in his entire NRL career now spanning a few seasons.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like To'Omaga, I really do.

But Hetherington has shown more in the few games he played for the Warriors than To'Omaga has in his entire NRL career now spanning a few seasons.
Shown more what exactly? Because he runs hard like DWZ? Lol

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shown more what exactly? Because he runs hard like DWZ? Lol
Started more games. Played more minutes. Actually stood up to other ***** in the game. Had an impact.

Hethrington's a footballer with aggression and attitude. We're so used to plodders and big guys that don't know how big they are that we've forgotten what's actually good.