Official Round 19 - Bulldogs vs South Sydney Discussion Thread

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson will create a piece of history when he takes the field against South Sydney on Thursday night at ANZ Stadium (8pm), becoming only the 13th player to play 200 NRL matches for the club.
Seen by many as the heart and soul of the Bulldogs, Jackson joins Hazem El Masri (317), Steve Mortimer (273), Terry Lamb (262), Steven Folkes (245), Chris Anderson (231), Luke Patten (225), Steve Price (222), Aiden Tolman (221*), Andrew Ryan (218), Josh Morris (217), Eddie Burns (215) and Corey Hughes (213), who have all pulled on the blue and white jersey on 200 occasions.

During his time at the Bulldogs, Jackson has represented his state, his country, collected the Brad Fittler Medal, been named Dally M Second Rower of the Year on two occasions, won the Provan Summons Medal in 2019 and is now captain of the club that gave him his start at NRL level.
In other team news:
  • Tim Lafai returns to the side in the centres
  • Dallin Watene-Zelezniak moves to the wing in place of Nick Meaney who drops out of the squad
  • Luke Thompson returns in the front row after missing last week's game with calf soreness
  • Chris Smith starts for the first time this season in the number 13 jersey
  • Sione Katoa comes on to the bench in place of Dean Britt who drops out of the seventeen
  • Matt Doorey was unavailable after suffering a PCL knee injury last weekend, meaning that he will miss the final two matches of the season
Match: Rabbitohs v Bulldogs
ROUND 19 - THURSDAY 17TH SEPTEMBER
7:50pm

Venue:ANZ Stadium, Sydney
Match broadcasters:
  • Nine Network
  • Kayo
  • Foxtel
  • Live Pass
No.PlayerSponsor
1Will HopoateMiramax
2Dallin Watene-ZelezniakCanterbury League Club
3Reimis SmithDaily Press
4Tim LafaiSydney Freezers
5Jayden OkunborRemondis
6Jake AverilloReliable Food Distributors
7Lachlan LewisHitachi Cooling & Heating
8Aiden TolmanHy-Tec
9Jeremy Marshall-KingUltimate Security
10Luke ThompsonTLH Group
11Josh Jackson (C)Guardian Venue Management
12Raymond Faitala-MarinerDental on Evaline
13Chris SmithYour Property People
Interchange
14Brandon WakehamM&J Chickens
15Renouf To’omagaClassic Sportswear
16Sione KatoaCPe Australia
17Suaso SueSydney Tools
Extended Bench
19Dean Britt
20Tui Katoa
21Nick Meaney
22James Roumanos

Nick Meaney and James Roumanos were omitted from the game day squad 24 hours out from kick off against South Sydney.

Last edited:

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris Smith is going to be ANOTHER former bulldog player who finishes up his contract playing first grade at the dogs, and then plays local league the next year
Exactly. Didn’t we also just extend him recently?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly. Didn’t we also just extend him recently?
We extended him at the end of last year. I personally didn't mind him in the lock rotation role with Elliott. It wasn't the biggest area of our worries anyways. Not seeing him play for so long (even after he was injury free) has turned me off him a bit. With Doorey and Topine (and probably someone else) coming through I don't see him being extended again.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We extended him at the end of last year. I personally didn't mind him in the lock rotation role with Elliott. It wasn't the biggest area of our worries anyways. Not seeing him play for so long (even after he was injury free) has turned me off him a bit. With Doorey and Topine (and probably someone else) coming through I don't see him being extended again.
You’re right it was last year. This year is a blur.

Regardless, hopefully he’s only on minimum wage and seen as a backup only next season

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Chris Smith is going to be ANOTHER former bulldog player who finishes up his contract playing first grade at the dogs, and then plays local league the next year
Who picks these teams, they have got to be joking. Meaney for DWZ. Wakeham for Lewis. Just can’t believe that Chris Smith is in the team after his poor performance last week. This club can only improve it can’t get any worse.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not convinced he is 100%. His knee was heavily strapped and his lateral movement looked terrible.