Opinion Starting 13 of Players Let Go

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year teams lose players due to the cap and making room for juniors. But I dont think any club's recruitment and retention has been anywhere near as horrible as ours has. To put it in perspective I have named a starting 13 of players we have let go over the past decade. This team would easily thrash our current side. No other team in the comp would have a starting 13 of players let go that could challenge their current team let alone thrash them.

1. Corey Thompson 2. Brett Morris 3. Josh Morris 4. Morgan Harper 5. Tommy Talua 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Aiden Sezer 8. Marty Tapau 9. Damien Cook 10. David Klemmer 11. Shaun Lane 12. CHN 13. Dale Finucane

There are a few there with an asterix (like Klemmer and CHN). But if our club would have been run better we could have kept them.

Some of the decisions made have fair dinkum been criminal. Maybe the worst of all was Finucane. Made his debut at the club and is exactly the type of hard nose forward we have been missing for the past few years. And dont even get me started on Cook. Keeping Lichha over him is a hanging offence.

Does anyone know who is currently heading up recruitment ? Hopefully its someone whose eyes are not farking painted on.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also - if you want to talk about juniors we have had who have since gone onto the other clubs (without making a FG debut) - consider the following players:

Latrell Mitchell
Connelly Lemuelu
Nehe Milner-Skudder (NZ RU winger)

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also - if you want to talk about juniors we have had who have since gone onto the other clubs (without making a FG debut) - consider the following players:

Latrell Mitchell
Connelly Lemuelu
I didn’t know Mitchell was a Dogs junior? When was he with the club?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We picked him up when he was a SOO player.

He's been average since - but he was touted as a big signing when we did.
Woods has been in better form than Thompson this year. I actually think Woods has been a lot better this year than previous years. I think if Woods was still at our club he'd be our best forward currently. You'd still need someone better than him in your forward pack. While we're carrying players like Thompson (from what we've seen so far) and Napa in our forward pack it's really hard to judge other teams.

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Every year teams lose players due to the cap and making room for juniors. But I dont think any club's recruitment and retention has been anywhere near as horrible as ours has. To put it in perspective I have named a starting 13 of players we have let go over the past decade. This team would easily thrash our current side. No other team in the comp would have a starting 13 of players let go that could challenge their current team let alone thrash them.

1. Corey Thompson 2. Brett Morris 3. Josh Morris 4. Morgan Harper 5. Tommy Talua 6. Josh Reynolds 7. Aiden Sezer 8. Marty Tapau 9. Damien Cook 10. David Klemmer 11. Shaun Lane 12. CHN 13. Dale Finucane

There are a few there with an asterix (like Klemmer and CHN). But if our club would have been run better we could have kept them.

Some of the decisions made have fair dinkum been criminal. Maybe the worst of all was Finucane. Made his debut at the club and is exactly the type of hard nose forward we have been missing for the past few years. And dont even get me started on Cook. Keeping Lichha over him is a hanging offence.

Does anyone know who is currently heading up recruitment ? Hopefully its someone whose eyes are not farking painted on.
Yep a good team. You can blame Desmond for the loss of 8 of the players you have named. Add Barba to that list.

His successor didn't help.

Don't forget Des and Cleal didn't rate Munster.

Our recruitment has been and continues to be abysmal. Let's hope Nov 1 delivers some good news.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
14. Herman Ese'ese
15. Moses Mbye
16. Aaron Woods
17. Lachlan Burr

18. Curtis Rona
Yep i forgot about a few of them. I didnt put Mbye and Woods in there because we had to let them go when we overestimated what the salary cap would be.

Again - we were the only club to do that. Signed players to set contracts before the cap was finalised. Idiots

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latrell Mitchell
Connelly Lemuelu
Mitchell was another Des/Cleal said thanks but no thanks- never played for the Club.
Throw Bayly Simonsson into the mix

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not a bad list, I wouldn't include Klemmer or CHN though, they weren't really let go of. It wasn't really in the clubs hands.