News Long-time Bulldogs man George Coorey overthrown as chairman at Canterbury Leagues Club

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
ONly logical outcome to this, and am surprised anyone thought it would go any other way.

I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent, nor will try and guess. But, considering the allegations made he couldn't continue in his role and has rightly been told to step down.

Personally, i think he missed a massive opportunity to take the moral high ground and step down himself. Fighting against this in the way he is makes him look worse imo.

Either way. Right conclusion and hopefully things get dealt with relatively quickly.

Reactions: GDR

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ONly logical outcome to this, and am surprised anyone thought it would go any other way.

I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent, nor will try and guess. But, considering the allegations made he couldn't continue in his role and has rightly been told to step down.

Personally, i think he missed a massive opportunity to take the moral high ground and step down himself. Fighting against this in the way he is makes him look worse imo.

Either way. Right conclusion and hopefully things get dealt with relatively quickly.
100% correct, he could've made some statement saying for the good of the club, etc, etc, etc and come out of this slightly ahead (relatively speaking) but now he looks kind of foolish and everyone knows he doesn't have the support of the rest of the board

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
100% correct, he could've made some statement saying for the good of the club, etc, etc, etc and come out of this slightly ahead (relatively speaking) but now he looks kind of foolish and everyone knows he doesn't have the support of the rest of the board
Exactly this.

And then you question why he doesn't have that support from the board. And you also question why he didn't step down himself. Something is clearly there because if there were nothing then surely he'd be acting differently?

As I said, I'll reserve judgment until the investigation reveals what's happened, but it really doesn't look good for Coorey. He's handled this all pretty badly imo.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Exactly this.

And then you question why he doesn't have that support from the board. And you also question why he didn't step down himself. Something is clearly there because if there were nothing then surely he'd be acting differently?

As I said, I'll reserve judgment until the investigation reveals what's happened, but it really doesn't look good for Coorey. He's handled this all pretty badly imo.
Coorey never had the support of the board, he only got in by selling his soul to ride the coat tails of the Anderson ticket, I suspect the made him chairman to be the fall guy if the **** hit the fan and to deflect attention from the Anderson aligned directors. I've got a few mates and ex colleagues who worked and still work at the leagues club in upper management positions and the news I'm hearing about the board isn't good, lot of staff turn over, finances are a mess, board interference in operational decisions that have been a disaster and with dopey George as a puppet chairman it deflects the blame from the Anderson controlled board

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Coorey never had the support of the board, he only got in by selling his soul to ride the coat tails of the Anderson ticket, I suspect the made him chairman to be the fall guy if the **** hit the fan and to deflect attention from the Anderson aligned directors. I've got a few mates and ex colleagues who worked and still work at the leagues club in upper management positions and the news I'm hearing about the board isn't good, lot of staff turn over, finances are a mess, board interference in operational decisions that have been a disaster and with dopey George as a puppet chairman it deflects the blame from the Anderson controlled board

Sounds like big business to me trying to survive through 2020. Anybody else work for big business??

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
End of the day if there’s no evidence
There’s nothing
Maybe he did , maybe he didn’t
But there all maybes

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Really?
So let me get this straight.
There are allegations raised against Coorey. A third party is appointed to I investigate however the people who raised the allegations didn't to go on record and the allegations are found "not proven" as a result.

Clearly Lynnne Anderson and maybe others aren't happy about the outcome of the investigation and have leaked the story to the media.

And you are saying he should "step down in the interest of the clubs"?

How is that process fair? A standard were an accusation is raised it's investigated found not proven but you still gotta go is corrupt.

Coorey was stupid not to engage a solicitor in the 1st instance and to take these allegations to police himself. That way at least rules of evidence apply.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Slovakia, i allege you fingered a woman in kopje whilst clocked in.

Shit go, now that i have alleged it, i trust you step down from your role for moral high ground?
No evidence required.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heads will roll, not necessarily the right right ones for the right reasons, ulterior motives?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really?
So let me get this straight.
There are allegations raised against Coorey. A third party is appointed to I investigate however the people who raised the allegations didn't to go on record and the allegations are found "not proven" as a result.

Clearly Lynnne Anderson and maybe others aren't happy about the outcome of the investigation and have leaked the story to the media.

And you are saying he should "step down in the interest of the clubs"?

How is that process fair? A standard were an accusation is raised it's investigated found not proven but you still gotta go is corrupt.

Coorey was stupid not to engage a solicitor in the 1st instance and to take these allegations to police himself. That way at least rules of evidence apply.
Completely agree with what you're saying in that things were found "not proven" because these women refused to testify against him for whatever reason.

So many people are trying to find alterior motives behind all of this. Reasons why this side is doing this. That side is doing that. Trying to lay blame on whoever to make points. Etc. etc. etc.

For me the whole thing is rather simple.

Who knows what the process has been? We could equally say that past process wasn't fair towards the women, which is why they didn't come forward. We simply don't know the full truth of the matter, and anyone on here that says they do is full of shit.

The matter is now in the public eye again. In this #metoo age, where such events are really taken quite seriously (and rightly so) any cooperation has to be extremely careful in how it handles matters related to sexual misconduct. This is a simple fact of life now, whether you like it or not. It is what it is.

From Coorey's side, sitting on his high chair and refusing to budge will and has only got himself bad publicity. He can claim that the previous investigation was ruled as 'no proven' but the women still have the same story, and clearly they're going to push it more now.

This time there is no running from the matter. Why not step down and take the moral high ground? Why not say "I've got nothing to hide, let's get this all out in the open. In order to place as little pressure on these ladies, and the general public as possible I'll step down in their interest. We need to start listening more to women, and the issues they face in society which is why I'm stepping down until this investigation is finished."

Had he done something similar he really could've got the public vote against him. He didn't. He fought this till the last moment, and was forcably removed.

In my mind he's completely dropped the ball, and the decision to make him step down is the only logical one to make. If you see differently, then that's OK. But you're wrong.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Slovakia, i allege you fingered a woman in kopje whilst clocked in.

Shit go, now that i have alleged it, i trust you step down from your role for moral high ground?
No evidence required.

He wont reply because now its about him and not someone else

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Either way only one of the Chairs will survive this. An EGM is imminent whether we like it or not.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Completely agree with what you're saying in that things were found "not proven" because these women refused to testify against him for whatever reason.

So many people are trying to find alterior motives behind all of this. Reasons why this side is doing this. That side is doing that. Trying to lay blame on whoever to make points. Etc. etc. etc.

For me the whole thing is rather simple.

Who knows what the process has been? We could equally say that past process wasn't fair towards the women, which is why they didn't come forward. We simply don't know the full truth of the matter, and anyone on here that says they do is full of shit.

The matter is now in the public eye again. In this #metoo age, where such events are really taken quite seriously (and rightly so) any cooperation has to be extremely careful in how it handles matters related to sexual misconduct. This is a simple fact of life now, whether you like it or not. It is what it is.

From Coorey's side, sitting on his high chair and refusing to budge will and has only got himself bad publicity. He can claim that the previous investigation was ruled as 'no proven' but the women still have the same story, and clearly they're going to push it more now.

This time there is no running from the matter. Why not step down and take the moral high ground? Why not say "I've got nothing to hide, let's get this all out in the open. In order to place as little pressure on these ladies, and the general public as possible I'll step down in their interest. We need to start listening more to women, and the issues they face in society which is why I'm stepping down until this investigation is finished."

Had he done something similar he really could've got the public vote against him. He didn't. He fought this till the last moment, and was forcably removed.

In my mind he's completely dropped the ball, and the decision to make him step down is the only logical one to make. If you see differently, then that's OK. But you're wrong.
Not fair to the women in what way?
They are completely anonymous to date and refused to provide statements.

If I was advising no way would I advise Coorey to stand down. That endorses a corrupt process and would limit damages he may seek against the club and maybe even the witnesses.

That is why I say he should go straight to the police and have his day in court. A fundamental tennant of natural justice is that you have the right to defend yourself and face your accuser.

Again this story shows what a complete basket case this club has become.

A

Alexander the Great

The trouble in this is khoury did tell the Andersons to go to the police and they didn't.

They should have been proactive about it.

Guilty leb never says go to the police. If anything id except a brown paper bag to be given to make things go away