The target was always 2022

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look. I actually support the board in what they've been doing, and think we're definitely on the right track though clearly we've got some way to go until we're back where we truly belong as a club.

However, saying that the club never had any intention of being competitive next year is a tad silly. I think I can speak for all on here and say that our expectations are pretty low right now. We're hardly demanding top 4 finishes and a premiership in the next few years. All I personally want is for us to be competitive and showing that we can win games.

Being competitive is the MINIMUM requirement, so I highly doubt that the club is writing off next year already especially with Barrett coming in for his first year. He's not going to work miracles, there's no doubt about that. But at the same time I do think the club will be supporting him in the market as clearly we do have some $$ to spend.

Get people's dislike about the Green signing. If he didn't get injured then I think it would've been OK actually. However, I do expect a lot more new faces coming in and talented new faces for that matter. Let's hope the club can get this done.
Put aside the Blake free scenario,y would u go halfway round the world for a prop $750 k when there’s props out here for less money,and probably as good,tpj is on that money,I know who I’d rather have,averillo has played a lot of football at 5/8,y not give him a go there,and y r we persevering with Montoya and Holland,not to mention tolman,who’s not going to be there,can’t work out what the fuck is going on ,fuck the board off,and mr hill,can go with them.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I don’t get why people keep saying stuff like this. Everyone has the same salary cap to spend, you have to spend it. You either buy stars and get a well balanced roster or just pay rookies and shot players rockstar money. Personally, I’d rather buy stars.
How many stars can you buy. You have 9.6m over 30 players. If you buy 5 or stars at an average of 800k your at 4mil.. Tell me how you will fill the roster with 25 more players with 5.5 mil and have decent players beyond 19. Des proved being top heavy in cap causes issues.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Put aside the Blake free scenario,y would u go halfway round the world for a prop $750 k when there’s props out here for less money,and probably as good,tpj is on that money,I know who I’d rather have,averillo has played a lot of football at 5/8,y not give him a go there,and y r we persevering with Montoya and Holland,not to mention tolman,who’s not going to be there,can’t work out what the fuck is going on ,fuck the board off,and mr hill,can go with them.
The club did all the groundwork for THompson before COVID. Had he come over with his Mrs, and been able to live a normal life here I don't think there would be an issue. In his case it's pretty extroadinary circumstances the club couldn't predict, but hopefully over the coming weeks/months things will improve on his side.

Averillo? Again that's not the club though, but the coach. Same with Montoya & Holland. Not sure what you're judging the board for the coach's inability? They acted when the previous coach wasn't making the right steps, and quickly replaced him with a better coach who'll attract and grow better players. What are they supposed to do with the interim coach? Fire him too?

Personally I think throwing the youngsters into this shitstorm of a year would be a bold move. by all accounts Av really hasn't set the world on fire when playing so ...

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many stars can you buy. You have 9.6m over 30 players. If you buy 5 or stars at an average of 800k your at 4mil.. Tell me how you will fill the roster with 25 more players with 5.5 mil and have decent players beyond 19. Des proved being top heavy in cap causes issues.
How do other clubs do it????

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club did all the groundwork for THompson before COVID. Had he come over with his Mrs, and been able to live a normal life here I don't think there would be an issue. In his case it's pretty extroadinary circumstances the club couldn't predict, but hopefully over the coming weeks/months things will improve on his side.

Averillo? Again that's not the club though, but the coach. Same with Montoya & Holland. Not sure what you're judging the board for the coach's inability? They acted when the previous coach wasn't making the right steps, and quickly replaced him with a better coach who'll attract and grow better players. What are they supposed to do with the interim coach? Fire him too?

Personally I think throwing the youngsters into this shitstorm of a year would be a bold move. by all accounts Av really hasn't set the world on fire when playing so ...
Whats a blow up doll cost?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I take your point,but at this stage of the year do they need a second rate coach,not really could’ve bought in anybody,Anderson is on the board,he could’ve done it,anyone,cause it’s obvious that,georgalis,couldn’t give a shit,so yes I still can’t see a lot of positives from this board,in the last 3 years.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I take your point,but at this stage of the year do they need a second rate coach,not really could’ve bought in anybody,Anderson is on the board,he could’ve done it,anyone,cause it’s obvious that,georgalis,couldn’t give a shit,so yes I still can’t see a lot of positives from this board,in the last 3 years.
So you hate the board and think they're doing shit, but you would've taken Anderson on from the board to be interim? Fair enough.

Board positives? Think they walked into a shitstorm, and needed time to sort it out. Seems as though we're on the right track now with sponsors, new coach, and hopefully a new coaching support staff.

If things don't improve though in the next year then they're really in trouble as we can't have another year of this!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Depends on what type you want. The two I have were used off Ebay so cost around 30€ each, but next time I'll definitely buy new as they came with some weird stains and smells.
Yeah I've heard that they can stain, I wonder what it is.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When the board first came in, they told us that we’ll be competitive by 2021.

However, the re-signings last year were all 2 year deals, which finish at the end of 2021. We only have 8 players signed after 2021:

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

Combined with the sacking of Pay, the board never had any intention of us being competitive next year, but rather bringing a new coach in 2021 to build a team for 2022.

It seems Barrett recognises this, and thus the 1 year signing of Green as experience in the halves, possibly to train our long-term half.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with any decision, but just stating why some decisions are being made.
Matt Doorey is also contracted until 2022

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The roster was massively out of balance. You need to have 2 vets , 3 or 4 players at their peak, and 5 or so juniors in your 17. The rest get made of solid 1st graders. We have had to many vets , no juniors and definitely no one at their peak. Do this for 3 to 4 years and we are here now. We can't buy our way out of this, juniors and development is needed, can't buy stars have to recruit young potential, We have to develop and make them want to stay.
Understood but you also have to factor in that Hasler did ZERO player development whilst he was with us meaning we had to start again with that as well.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
if they have a lan fine, rather they wait then overspend on average players to long term contracts. if they believe 22 is when there's opportunaty to make a splash at players is, so be it

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish I could fill in the blanks here with player names however under normal circumstance 3 top line signings and 1-2 NRL quality juniors would make us significantly more competitive and move us up the ladder.

With our current squad we need 6 top line signings and at least 3 or 4 NRL quality juniors to be competitive with in that 3-6 position (2022)

If we can add 2 more players to the Cotric signing (not including Green) and one is a class spine player (preferably hooker) we should be in a position to be fringe 8 next year.

But nothing is certain due to a lot of factors including injuries. The real x-factor for us is if we can tap into the potential of a few of the players we currently have in the club. If Barratt and his coaching team can do this then next year should see us in the semi-finals.
Where are we getting the 3 or 4 quality juniors from? Hasler didn't develop anybody, so there is now a void in the system.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly hope I am wrong !
To me the people in charge are incompetent, making mistake after mistake !
1st mistake.....Extending Pay's contract correct
2nd mistake....Failed to sign the right talents at the end of 2019 for 2021 season promised rebuild
3rd mistake.....out of desperation they have signed players on overs in the wrong positions when we should be spending it on the spine !!! DWZ, yes, but everyone liked him at the end of last year, who else?
4th mistake Is yet to happen... why put this in then?
They intend to sign SBW as a publicity stunt and to attract the members back in the hope of saving their own back sides !!! I believe this was the sponsor looking to do this not the Board
The circus keeps rolling on !!!
So the Board doesn't look so bad now

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the Board doesn't look so bad now
Mate we missed on signing players in 2019 for 2021 and that's the major point here.
And it wasn't only DWZ, how about the guy that left us for Canberra or the Hooker that wasn't played until two weeks ago or worse still the best prop in the world suddenly is home sick...I know it's not their fault :grinning:
As for SBW, Anderson and Hill were hellbent on not wanting him, what has changed