Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
It's just a mask bro to protect people like me and your elderly relatives and even yourself.

Don't tell me you're turning into those nuts in Murika?
Not at all man.

I had a heart scare myself last year (turned out to be Pericarditis) which (for me) turned out to be a very mild case (some people end up in hospital for a short while if they get a build up of fluid).

I'm totally Ok with using a mask and being extra careful whenever I'm around the elderly and those who are sick.

What I'm against generally is masks being mandated when people walk down a public footpath and whenever they are in outdoors. I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I also don't believe masks are necessary in places like supermarkets (although if they were made mandatory I would of course wear one).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
hehe nah. I should qualify what I wrote.

I'm not a Coronavirus conspiracy nutter. COVID-19 clearly exists and is dangerous for the elderly and those with existing illnesses.

All I'm saying is that:

- I'm naturally hesitant whenever companies with profit motives pretend that they are qualified to give health advice
- Masks are by no means a proven method to stopping circulation of the virus.
- There is some evidence that masks could make the spread of the virus WORSE and not better, for at least some people who do not use their mask correctly or become relaxed in their behaviour because they assume the mask is a perfect defence when it isn't.

I've worked in corporate for 16 years now and I know perfectly well how companies with profit motives behave. I can tell you they don't care for a second about your health, unless it affects their bottom line (which it does).

I'm perfectly happy to wear a mask if the government implements law requiring one to be worn in particular circumstances.

I also had to visit my cardiologist earlier this year and a requirement of visiting him at his surgery was that all patients had to wear a mask (which I was perfectly happy to do).

It makes perfect sense to have a mask on whenever you are around a hospital, doctors surgery or anyone with an existing condition.
Yeah, that was really just a joke. I get where you're coming from. We all know how it's going to go. The same way the plastic bag ban went.

"Here at Woolworths we are asking you to wear a mask in store. BTW, we now have masks on sale for $5 each"

There were some early studies that showed that masks may potentially make things worse. This was based on the assumption that the virus had the most impact from touching surfaces then touching your face. The more recent research has shown that masks work for two reasons:

1) They stop infected people from sneezing or coughing out the virus. Not entirely but a fair bit

2) They reduce the chance of the virus falling on your mouth. As we know now, touching surfaces with the virus then touching your face has a very, very tiny chance of infecting you. But being in the vicinity of someone who coughs, sneezes, or just speaks loudly. That's your highest chance of infection

The WHO has been very anti-mask. They now support the use of masks for the general public mainly in tight spaces (public transport, busy shops, etc). But the Australian government hasn't really updated their advice so it's still bloody confusing.

The Victorian government has made masks mandatory. I would expect the NSW government to do the same soon.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I had the impression NSW govt will leave masks a personal choice (similar to their management of borders which has been less strict than Queensland).

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not at all man.

I had a heart scare myself last year (turned out to be Pericarditis) which (for me) turned out to be a very mild case (some people end up in hospital for a short while if they get a build up of fluid).

I'm totally Ok with using a mask and being extra careful whenever I'm around the elderly and those who are sick.

What I'm against generally is masks being mandated when people walk down a public footpath and whenever they are in outdoors. I haven't given it a lot of thought, but I also don't believe masks are necessary in places like supermarkets (although if they were made mandatory I would of course wear one).
I wish you nothing but the best with your ticker. It's great you're on top of it quick.

I don't wear my mask (well it's a Skelton fishing mask thing) everywhere, but I use it logically IE doctors, St Vincent's, etc.

I can see them becoming mandatory if this bullshit doesn't die down soon.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, that was really just a joke. I get where you're coming from. We all know how it's going to go. The same way the plastic bag ban went.

"Here at Woolworths we are asking you to wear a mask in store. BTW, we now have masks on sale for $5 each"

There were some early studies that showed that masks may potentially make things worse. This was based on the assumption that the virus had the most impact from touching surfaces then touching your face. The more recent research has shown that masks work for two reasons:

1) They stop infected people from sneezing or coughing out the virus. Not entirely but a fair bit

2) They reduce the chance of the virus falling on your mouth. As we know now, touching surfaces with the virus then touching your face has a very, very tiny chance of infecting you. But being in the vicinity of someone who coughs, sneezes, or just speaks loudly. That's your highest chance of infection

The WHO has been very anti-mask. They now support the use of masks for the general public mainly in tight spaces (public transport, busy shops, etc). But the Australian government hasn't really updated their advice so it's still bloody confusing.

The Victorian government has made masks mandatory. I would expect the NSW government to do the same soon.
Should we be wearing glasses too or would that be overkill?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Should we be wearing glasses too or would that be overkill?
Hard to say. Probably overkill but technically it will protect your eyes. When you start wearing glasses you realise how much crap goes in your eyes. Especially while cooking. My glasses end up covered in oil that would otherwise be going in my eyes.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hard to say. Probably overkill but technically it will protect your eyes. When you start wearing glasses you realise how much crap goes in your eyes. Especially while cooking. My glasses end up covered in oil that would otherwise be going in my eyes.
Yeah I get you. Same on work sites. Even if you're not cutting or anything, my sunnies get covered with dust.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Masks are now strongly recommend by Gladys and situations she has said is perfectly reasonable . I’ve been wearing mask on my way to work .
but it does appear the biggest driver of infections is through pubs/clubs and restaurants which Was not on list

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
6 vaccines in phase 3 tests. Expected to be completed by mid September.

South Australian scientists starting a phase 2 trial by the end of August (Australian government are restricting funding).

If all goes well. You would hope approval for one or more of these vaccines will be made by November/December

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
6 vaccines in phase 3 tests. Expected to be completed by mid September.

South Australian scientists starting a phase 2 trial by the end of August (Australian government are restricting funding).

If all goes well. You would hope approval for one or more of these vaccines will be made by November/December
Hope something works soon ,the world seems to be going backwards atm and fast

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Diana Lasu, one of three young women at the centre of Queensland’s COVID-19 breach, has revealed the torrent of racist and sexist abuse she’s received on social media.

Good, I hope she cops more abuse the moronic twat. This is what happens when you inject your lips with brain matter.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Diana Lasu, one of three young women at the centre of Queensland’s COVID-19 breach, has revealed the torrent of racist and sexist abuse she’s received on social media.

Good, I hope she cops more abuse the moronic twat. This is what happens when you inject your lips with brain matter.
Boo fucking hoo, fuck her and her lips that looks like a hippos arsehole.

PS that's a fkn dude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.