Defence Force

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats awesome. Was that his first choice? Because if you don't pass certain things in the medicals, training or aptitude and psychological testing for what you want to do, they find you something else suitable. I'm hoping I pass everything to pilot the choppers
yeah first choice,he has done most of his aptitude and medical testing and is now going through psych/physical testing (3rd round) last week they ran 48km in 48hrs full kit,that's some hard core shit.......fuck that

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah first choice,he has done most of his aptitude and medical testing and is now going through psych/physical testing (3rd round) last week they ran 48km in 48hrs full kit,that's some hard core shit.......fuck that
Haha fuck that alright, glad I'm not going for a clearance diver. Good on him tho mate, chasing his dreams. Hope he makes it which by the sounds of it he will. Good stuff

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes mate I was in the Army (Infantry) for 12 yrs. Be happy to chat.
Thanks mate. I'm really just wondering what to expect really in terms of all the psych testing, physical testing and medicals.
How would you describe your time in the Army?
Any advice you could give, just stuff like that. How long it might take to get into a chopper and start training in them?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I'm really just wondering what to expect really in terms of all the psych testing, physical testing and medicals.
How would you describe your time in the Army?
Any advice you could give, just stuff like that. How long it might take to get into a chopper and start training in them?
Firstly good on you for considering this career path, I wish you well. I had no idea where I was going in life and if I hadn't joined God knows where I would be right now. It is great to be part of a cause bigger than yourself and the mates you serve with are lifelong.

Pilots are trained as officers and are generally smart, it's a sought after role. You will need a basic understanding of year 12 advanced mathematics and physics before you apply. Hit the books if you're not up to scratch.

In regards to psych testing just tell them what they want to hear. Physical and medicals should be easy enough but I would go about your own training beforehand. Swimming and dog-paddling are critical for pilots as ditching in the ocean is trained for, wear clothing in pool to increase resistance. Running (beep test and distance) and bodyweight exercises (pushup, situp, heave) will also help you smash the physical.

Here is some more info, try and learn as much you can about the position and it will show recruitment you are serious and keen. It's all about initiative.
https://www.defencejobs.gov.au/jobs?tab=view-all-jobs&page=1&perPage=21&query=helicopter pilot&jobStates=full-time&msclkid=6dcd6388b7951886f9fc3cab8c45bd80&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand | Defence Force || Aus | Exact | Search&utm_term=adf&utm_content=Brand - ADF&gclid=CIaexv319eoCFQRnjgodQ5YKNw&gclsrc=ds

Last edited:

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly good on you for considering this career path, I wish you well. I had no idea where I was going in life and if I hadn't joined God knows where I would be right now. It is great to be part of a cause bigger than yourself and the mates you serve with are lifelong.

Pilots are trained as officers and are generally smart, it's a sought after role. You will need a basic understanding of year 12 advanced mathematics and physics before you apply. Hit the books if you're not up to scratch.

In regards to psych testing just tell them what they want to hear. Physical and medicals should be easy enough but I would go about your own training beforehand. Swimming and dog-paddling are critical for pilots as ditching in the ocean is trained for, wear clothing in pool to increase resistance. Running (beep test and distance) and bodyweight exercises (pushup, situp, heave) will also help you smash the physical.

Here is some more info, try and learn as much you can about the position and it will show recruitment you are serious and keen. It's all about initiative.
https://www.defencejobs.gov.au/jobs?tab=view-all-jobs&page=1&perPage=21&query=helicopter pilot&jobStates=full-time&msclkid=6dcd6388b7951886f9fc3cab8c45bd80&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand | Defence Force || Aus | Exact | Search&utm_term=adf&utm_content=Brand - ADF&gclid=CIaexv319eoCFQRnjgodQ5YKNw&gclsrc=ds
Thanks heaps mate. I'll be putting everything I have into it to make it. Thanks for the info and well wishes as well. I'll send you a selfie from the pilots seat when I'm there haha.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks heaps mate. I'll be putting everything I have into it to make it. Thanks for the info and well wishes as well. I'll send you a selfie from the pilots seat when I'm there haha.
Hit me up if you have any questions along the way glad to help any way I can. It would be a massive thing if you get in, you will change your life forever.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hit me up if you have any questions along the way glad to help any way I can. It would be a massive thing if you get in, you will change your life forever.
Thank you mate, I appreciate that.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you say you liked it? You get a preference as to where you want to be based dont you? I know a lot of the time you don't get placed where you choose but you do get to give a preference is that right?
once you finish your IET's you get to pick top 3 postings you would like then they put you where you are needed, Darwin was my 2nd preference.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
once you finish your IET's you get to pick top 3 postings you would like then they put you where you are needed, Darwin was my 2nd preference.
What position are you trying to get?

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What position are you trying to get?
Im not in the army anymore mate this was 20 years ago lol.
My first preference was brisbane but got my second which was darwin.
I ended up getting a posting to brisbane 21 construction a couple of years later.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not in the army anymore mate this was 20 years ago lol.
My first preference was brisbane but got my second which was darwin.
I ended up getting a posting to brisbane 21 construction a couple of years later.
Oh true haha. How long were you in the army for?

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
My best mate is a squadron leader/navigator in the RAAF, just got back home from Qatar where he was sent last November...was supposed to come home in February lol, but due to Covid etc they kept him on the base there. Fucking good coin, he's now done three deployments to the middle east.