Fullback

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would like to see him progress under a competent coach aswell, Dean Pay wouldnt have done him any good.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And Meaney showed him the sideline, then ran him down with speed and bundled him into touch. I know who won that exchange.

The way I see it Meaney spent time on the wing learning what it takes to play at NRL level week in week out and he is a much better player for it. There is still plenty of upside in his game plus at least 3 years of body growth still to come. I'm looking forward to seeing his further development when playing in a team with some strike power.

Go Dogs
Three years of body growth? He is what he is and he won't get bigger. He's been in an NRL squad for three seasons now so it's not like he hasn't had weight training and dieticians trying to bulk him up....

Best is 19 and twice as big. Crichton is 19 and way stronger already. You didn't mention the lack of running metres Meaney had compared to every other backline player on both teams. So I fail to see this impact and upside for Meaney compared to other players.

Meaney is playing reasonably well right now but let's wait and see if he improves over the last nine games before we annoint him the future fullback.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney is the only real option as FB at present. He has speed, can take the high balls and has good kick returns.
Some people say he is to small. So was Les Johns, Barba, Silva, Bowen., etc.
Its not how big you are, its how good you are.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might have to send him to Cronulla in the off season for some strength and conditioning training there something different in there vitamins lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney is the only real option as FB at present. He has speed, can take the high balls and has good kick returns.
Some people say he is to small. So was Les Johns, Barba, Silva, Bowen., etc.
Its not how big you are, its how good you are.
That's a good point about smaller players but if Meaney was anywhere near as good, skilled or electric as those players then it wouldn't be an issue. Meaney isn't anywhere near the level of talent of Barba and Bowen.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully with proper coaching, he can become a great fullback.

The one things that’s been lacking is his support play. When Foran made a break yesterday, he should have been there to take the pass.

Barrett should be able to coach that into him.
Yes playing fullback and with his speed it's very important for him to be there in support when we make linebreaks. He should be closely following Foran all game in attack

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Gildart is not joining us lol
If I remember rightly Gildart is managed by Ultra Management Sports (Sam Ayoub) who also represents Keiran Foran and Nick Cotric. So we have existing relationships there as well as having just done a deal.

Go Dogs

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Lets just get Barba back.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they can have another ctr next season apart from cotric, hoppa should be fb. Just add another dimension in attack with his passing.
If they cannot get another ctr, may be averilo worth a try.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoppa is a lot better but Meaney at least looks safe for the time being.
Best would have scored an easy try if Hoppa was FB on the weekend. Would have just beat him for pace. Hoppa to centre Avo to 5/8 Meaney at FB.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
At the moment Meaney is a safe fullback with speed in open space, but no rock star fullback.
For him to make the fullback jersey his, he needs to up his involvement in support play and develop a passing game. He's still young and has time to develop those things.
The attacking structures will get an overhaul when Barrett comes in so it will be interesting to see what he goes with and who we recruit.
I see Averillo as a 6 rather than a fullback, where ever he plays he'll make a go of it though.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Best would have scored an easy try if Hoppa was FB on the weekend. Would have just beat him for pace. Hoppa to centre Avo to 5/8 Meaney at FB.
Hoppa does literally 98/100 things better at fullback than Meaney lol.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Three years of body growth? He is what he is and he won't get bigger. He's been in an NRL squad for three seasons now so it's not like he hasn't had weight training and dieticians trying to bulk him up....
Best is 19 and twice as big. Crichton is 19 and way stronger already. You didn't mention the lack of running metres Meaney had compared to every other backline player on both teams. So I fail to see this impact and upside for Meaney compared to other players.
Meaney is playing reasonably well right now but let's wait and see if he improves over the last nine games before we annoint him the future fullback.
Males often continue to "grow" until 25, he may not get any taller, but FFS he is already 6'2". What he will do is get more solid, more muscle, be able to absorb the impacts better but that's a balance to make sure he doesn't lose too much speed at the same time.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney is a great option as his price tag is Aldi Style. He is getting better week after week and the longer he gets there the better he will be. He has another 8 or 9 games to make it his and if he does it frees up money to be spent better on the right 9. I reckon Foran will stay for at least 2021 and Averillo might get a shot at 6 or will be permanent fixture for 2021 at 14.

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Hopa/Gildart
4. Cotric
5. Smith/Hopa
6. Foran/Averillo
7. ????/Lewis

I only have Lewis in there as he is under contract and we dont have another current option.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Males often continue to "grow" until 25, he may not get any taller, but FFS he is already 6'2". What he will do is get more solid, more muscle, be able to absorb the impacts better but that's a balance to make sure he doesn't lose too much speed at the same time.

Go Dogs
He’s shown considerable improvement since last season when it comes to contact

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah noticed that as well. The great fullbacks are always there on every play supporting.

But I reckon he would have been shocked that Foran made a break and that he was as quick as he was lol
Montoya definitely wasnt gaining ground :p he was running full speed and I think he was near the 20m line by the time Foran was tackled :p (a good 60 meters away)

Meaney is a solid fullback. By no means a superstar, but better natural fullback then DWZ. Zelezniak has strong carries. But his hands and his lack of passing is a hindrance. Also his defence wasnt great. Meaney will make lots of rookie errors (like that grubber that knights almost scored off). He hasnt had the game time in top grade to develop properly. He came in as a winger, played a handful of games at fullback, went back to the wing when Zelezniak arrived, was injured for a few games, then came back on the wing and went back to fullback after Zelezniaks 2nd failed attempt at the back.

His cover tackle on Best was great. But because he never gets time to develop and learn it wouldnt surprise me if his next time he drops off the tackle or something. Young players need consistency. If it is averillo or meaney that is the fullback for next season they need game time now, in a season that wont count for much. Let them learn through mistakes. You can train the house down and practice every day. But you learn more in a half of NRL then you do in a week of training.

If Averillo is going to go to fullback (I think the club is guilty of having no idea with what to do with him). Then he needs game time there. If it is meany short term (atleast until end of 2021 to see if any comes up) then let him play out the year there and learn and develop.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Papenhuyzen 80kg
Homes 90kg
Meaney 90kg
Teddy 94kg
Nicoll-Klokstad 94kg
Gutherson 96kg
Latrelfatguts 102kg (and increasing..)

Another couple of kegs of muscle and Meaney has no issues.