Fullback

Malla

Reaction score
Should the club persist with Meaney at the back next year and into the future?

The difference he has made at the back for us is immense. Less errors, runs the line out the back in attacking sets better than DWZ and he's shown he has a little more ball handling/passing skills than DWZ.

I don't think Meaney is ever going to be spectacular, but he's a good first grader. Happy for him and glad that Georgalis has actually played him in his true position as opposed to putting a winger at the back and a fullback on the wing lol.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully with proper coaching, he can become a great fullback.

The one things that’s been lacking is his support play. When Foran made a break yesterday, he should have been there to take the pass.

Barrett should be able to coach that into him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney is doing a good job short term and obviously he's much safer than Dallin.. But he gets dominated physically, he doesn't have a passing game and doesn't back up the way a good fullback should. So we still need a long term fullback..

I'd like to see Averillo get a chance there at some stage but ideally we can recruit another fullback.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The one things that’s been lacking is his support play. When Foran made a break yesterday, he should have been there to take the pass.

I feel support play is effort but it's mostly instinct. Most times you either have that instinct or you don't. Meaney doesn't have that and I don't know why he doesn't with his speed..

Like I said, he's not strong with most of his kick returns and doesn't have a passing game. He looks good in open space and is safe as a fullback. For the team to reach it's potential I think we need more of an all round player at fullback than Meaney.

Malla

Reaction score

Yeah noticed that as well. The great fullbacks are always there on every play supporting.

But I reckon he would have been shocked that Foran made a break and that he was as quick as he was lol

Malla

Reaction score
Meaney is doing a good job short term and obviously he's much safer than Dallin.. But he gets dominated physically, he doesn't have a passing game and doesn't back up the way a good fullback should. So we still need a long term fullback..

I'd like to see Averillo get a chance there at some stage but ideally we can recruit another fullback.
I think Baz may do that with Averillo. Needs a full off season training at the back tho.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Should the club persist with Meaney at the back next year and into the future?

The difference he has made at the back for us is immense. Less errors, runs the line out the back in attacking sets better than DWZ and he's shown he has a little more ball handling/passing skills than DWZ.

I don't think Meaney is ever going to be spectacular, but he's a good first grader. Happy for him and glad that Georgalis has actually played him in his true position as opposed to putting a winger at the back and a fullback on the wing lol.
I have been saying it, with the right strength and speed training and body building he could become a very fine fullback,
but I would still get J. Field as a backup Fullback / Halfback !!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know they were playing in horrible conditions yesterday but before we get carried away with Meaney, he had 12 runs for 90 metres with 2 tackles busts and no other attacking stats. He was safe and had another decent game but let's keep things in perspective..

In the same game Ponga had 260m with 10 tackle busts, Best had 206m with 7 tackle busts and a line break, Tuala had 181m, Hunt had 190m with 7 tackles busts and 3 line breaks, Montoya had 144m, Averillo had 116m and DWZ had 130m..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only way to answer this question is with another question. What is Averilo's best position long term?? Personally, I see him as our long term fb. He has speed, explosive power, good vision and a kicking game. But it will come down to where Barrett wants him to play.
If Hoppa had Meaneys speed then I would play Averilo in the halves, and if Meaney had Hoppas ball playing abilities and putbon a bit more muscle, I would play Averilo in the halves as well. But these 2 scenarios are unlikely, and I therefore see Averilo as our best option at fb moving forward.
If Barrett does decide to play Averilo in the halves, I think Meaney will be our fb and Hoppa may èven be destined for the backrow one day.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Meaney is a lot like Luke patten with more pace I don’t think he’ll ever play rep footy but is safe at the back, always seems to pop up in the right places, also could break the game open in a better performing side I think he’s just a more natural fullback than dwz or any other alternatives

Malla

Reaction score
I know they were playing in horrible conditions yesterday but before we get carried away with Meaney, he had 12 runs for 90 metres with 2 tackles busts and no other attacking stats. He was safe and had another decent game but let's keep things in perspective..

In the same game Ponga had 260m with 10 tackle busts, Best had 206m with 7 tackle busts and a line break, Tuala had 181m, Hunt had 190m with 7 tackles busts and 3 line breaks, Montoya had 144m, Averillo had 116m and DWZ had 130m..
Yeah as I said he isn't ever going to be spectacular. He's a smaller body, he doesn't run as hard as some fullbacks nor does he have the fancy footwork.

Still, just the fact he's a lot safer under the high ball and his positional play. If anything it shows that we are lacking an out and out fullback. DWZ is and will never be that. Hoppa is good, but just does enough to get the job done.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Meaney is a lot like Luke patten with more pace I don’t think he’ll ever play rep footy but is safe at the back, always seems to pop up in the right places, also could break the game open in a better performing side I think he’s just a more natural fullback than dwz or any other alternatives
They're similar in frame but that's about it. Patten was one of the best support players in the comp and was all over the field when he played. Meaney is rarely supporting the runner and doesn't have anywhere near the impact or skill that The General did.

Malla

Reaction score
The only way to answer this question is with another question. What is Averilo's best position long term?? Personally, I see him as our long term fb. He has speed, explosive power, good vision and a kicking game. But it will come down to where Barrett wants him to play.
If Hoppa had Meaneys speed then I would play Averilo in the halves, and if Meaney had Hoppas ball playing abilities and putbon a bit more muscle, I would play Averilo in the halves as well. But these 2 scenarios are unlikely, and I therefore see Averilo as our best option at fb moving forward.
If Barrett does decide to play Averilo in the halves, I think Meaney will be our fb and Hoppa may èven be destined for the backrow one day.
Yeah Averillo can definitely be a great fullback. He has all the attributes to be just that.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're similar in frame but that's about it. Patten was one of the best support players in the comp and was all over the field when he played. Meaney is rarely supporting the runner and doesn't have anywhere near the impact or skill that The General did.
Agree but give it time I think with Barrett coming in we’ll see a completely overhauled game plan and could get the best out of him

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% persist with him, only 22. Defs needs more time, I wouldnt mind giving him next year there.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah as I said he isn't ever going to be spectacular. He's a smaller body, he doesn't run as hard as some fullbacks nor does he have the fancy footwork.

Still, just the fact he's a lot safer under the high ball and his positional play. If anything it shows that we are lacking an out and out fullback. DWZ is and will never be that. Hoppa is good, but just does enough to get the job done.
Yeah he should stay there for now and he's doing a good job short term. Dallin was a disaster there and should never play fullback again.

But looking forward, Meaney won't ever be a top 10 fullback in the comp and we need to have more impact at fullback than what he can offer to be a top four team again..

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
I have been saying it, with the right strength and speed training and body building he could become a very fine fullback,
but I would still get J. Field as a backup Fullback / Halfback !!!
I like j field but I reckon if he was dummy half he would kill it he has electric pace he would carve up like cook

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah he should stay there for now and he's doing a good job short term. Dallin was a disaster there and should never play fullback again.

But looking forward, Meaney won't ever be a top 10 fullback in the comp and we need to have more impact at fullback than what he can offer to be a top four team again..
Let’s write the 22 year old off already ...