No Source Matt Burton

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why does Lewis keep getting chances? He is worse than Wakeham.
Lewis was very good when he first came into first grade and is a very good defender. Doesn’t seem to offer a lot in attack as I’d prefer he’d take the line on more than kick at the end of every set. That’s very frustrating as you can’t win without the ball.

That said I’d prefer him over Wakeham on his defence alone.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I saw a random post on Facebook of some guy claiming Brooks was being shopped to us... Dunno how I feel about that if it was true, but he and Burton would be a decent pairing, however Brooks would have to play right edge.
I don't hate it. Doesn't seem to be adapting to the Madge way of life.

Is a genuine number 7. Has always performed against us. Needs a body guard with him in D.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 charlie staines
6 matt burton
7 jake averillo
9 should of been api, but barret chases a good hooker so im sure an experienced player could come in there if it me.
Now theres a future.
Throw in cotric and shoup. Pinch coates and farnworth from broncs to play on wings.
14 hoppa
Release or move on dallin, smith and the rest of em
Cheap and very effective moving foward. Apart from thompson let go nearly most of forward pack.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could burn and run everyside off there feet. Speed. Tenacity in the forwards.
Bullfrog would have had this sown up already.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lewis was very good when he first came into first grade and is a very good defender. Doesn’t seem to offer a lot in attack as I’d prefer he’d take the line on more than kick at the end of every set. That’s very frustrating as you can’t win without the ball.

But wakeham is the better defender? Look at the stats... Lewis tackle efficiency is 78.8% with 132 tackles made
Wakehams is 83.5% with 144 tackles made.
Lewis has missed 7 tackles that have led to tries which is the most or second most in our squad. He’s not the defender everyone thinks he is...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But wakeham is the better defender? Look at the stats... Lewis tackle efficiency is 78.8% with 132 tackles made
Wakehams is 83.5% with 144 tackles made.
Lewis has missed 7 tackles that have led to tries which is the most or second most in our squad. He’s not the defender everyone thinks he is...
So true hes great head on but always runs out of the line going for the hero tackle

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Get this done! Wakeham has next year to get a full season of NSW Cup and demonstrate his "potential" to possibly grab the 7 jersey for 2022.

Would love to see a combo of 6 Burton 7 Foran/Green.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The way the game is changing at least one of the halves needs to be an qick /explosive/ aggressive running type of player. ATM Dogs dont have one.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barrett apparently said he would not approach any Panthers players. However, that doesnt stop them from approaching him.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The way the game is changing at least one of the halves needs to be an qick /explosive/ aggressive running type of player. ATM Dogs dont have one.
Avo is very quick

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Avo is very quick
Yes he is - i hope he gets to move into the halves - i think he would be ideal - would bring some needed energy n speed. His efforts in the halves in Flegg were outstanding - i dnt know why they dont play him there

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett apparently said he would not approach any Panthers players. However, that doesnt stop them from approaching him.
Great point - I actually never even considered that. If Burton is hearing that were after him, he might be proactive and tell his manager to get it done. He would instantly get a huge pay rise and a starting spot in our team.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

No actually that is the common misconception about lewis.. he is a terrible defender , however a terrific tackler .. these 2 things arent always one and the same... his poor decision-making in D causes tries against.. his one of the leaders in try causes in the league..

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No actually that is the common misconception about lewis.. he is a terrible defender , however a terrific tackler .. these 2 things arent always one and the same... his poor decision-making in D causes tries against.. his one of the leaders in try causes in the league..
Exactly right. He can chop down lots of players with a decent technique. But the times he runs out of the line or misreads simple plays in the line are very costly.

Truth be told there is nothing Lewis excels in and nothing that make him a quality first grader. Not sure why we keep on persisting with him, is it because he was re-signed as our saviour or because he had a handful of good games in 2018? Wakeman lacks a lot of polish but has a handful of games under his belt. Atleast he can throw a ball to his outside men and get them on the outside of their defender. Cogger for mine is the only half in the team that can do a bit of everything. Has a short kicking game, has a not bad running game. Knows when to run. And can generally set up plays and get other players over the try line. He isn't a rep level player, he is not a top 5 half. But he is the only player that is a complete halfback that we have.

Kicking a ball high and tackling forwards do not make you a half. Cogger knows more about game control and situations then Lewis. Sad thing is when ever they have played in the same line up lewis the ball hog with his hero ball tactics doesn't provide clean and early ball to him so he ends up looking pathetic.

But hey thats just my opinion.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if you want Matt Burton,
To understand him you gotta know him deep inside
Hear every thought see every dream
And give him wings when he wants to fly
Then when you find yourself lyin' helpless in in your half
That's when you know you really want Burton
When you want a Burton, tell him that he's really wanted
When you want Matt Burton you tell him that he's the one !
'Cause he needs somebody to tell him that it's gonna last forever
So tell me have you ever really
Really really ever wanted Matt Burton?
And when you see a top 4 placing in his eyes,
Then you know you really wanted Matt Burton.
Nasheed....seriously bro, you need to get off that shit.....

Screenshot_20200724-214032_Google.jpg

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Exactly right. He can chop down lots of players with a decent technique. But the times he runs out of the line or misreads simple plays in the line are very costly.

Truth be told there is nothing Lewis excels in and nothing that make him a quality first grader. Not sure why we keep on persisting with him, is it because he was re-signed as our saviour or because he had a handful of good games in 2018? Wakeman lacks a lot of polish but has a handful of games under his belt. Atleast he can throw a ball to his outside men and get them on the outside of their defender. Cogger for mine is the only half in the team that can do a bit of everything. Has a short kicking game, has a not bad running game. Knows when to run. And can generally set up plays and get other players over the try line. He isn't a rep level player, he is not a top 5 half. But he is the only player that is a complete halfback that we have.

Kicking a ball high and tackling forwards do not make you a half. Cogger knows more about game control and situations then Lewis. Sad thing is when ever they have played in the same line up lewis the ball hog with his hero ball tactics doesn't provide clean and early ball to him so he ends up looking pathetic.

But hey thats just my opinion.
Last year when we beat the knights cogger and wakeham were the halves. They looked good together aswell both had a try assist each, if Foran is out cogger and wakeham should be the halves definately.