What is your favourite (CURRENT) TV Show

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I missed the first two so will start it on SBS on demand. I have read the synopsis and it is a lot different to the two movies and the ITV mini series in its interpretation.

Have you watched the stage show version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds? There are two available one with Liam Neeson as the Reporter and the other with the voice of Richard Burton.

I like anything H G Wells and my favourite version of the Time Machine is the original with Rod Taylor...
I haven't seen the stage show versions. Might have to see if I can find them online somewhere. I have listened to a musical version though. I'm not sure who created that but it was pretty good.

Without giving much away, this adaptation steps away from any version I've seen a bit. It seems to be focusing a lot on the morality of the main characters.

I want to look for a copy of the original book actually. I've never read anything by Wells. Any recommendations for other titles outside of war of the world's?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
These days are those shows even considered politically correct? They have even taken the broom to Gone with the Wind a classic film because of the slavery/ depiction of coloured people ( oops can I even say that?)There have been a lot of shows pulled because of the politically correct brigade...
The second episode of the Simpsons had Smithers shown as a black assistant to Mr Burns. They changed it the very next episode. Cops ran for 31 years then got canned after the George Floyd riots.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I finished Season 3 of Dark on Netflix.

Highly, highly, highly recommend. Especially for the Nerds. Word of warning though. Before you watch the 3rd season, it's best to spend 10 years at Uni studying Quantum Physics.

The first season is a little slow but sets it up as a show about families trying to find out what happened to their missing kids, and why one guy committed suicide.

Without giving too much away, it has a lot to do with time travel. The 1st season is a slow setup. The 2nd season is more in depth. The 3rd season is 10 levels of confusing. Fortunately it's all pretty much explained by the end of it but it's watching it just scrambles your brain. Not so much the science of it. That's fairly simplistic and often wrong. It's more the fact that there's so many characters operating across so many different times that just makes it really difficult to keep track of who is who. At times they would do a big twist reveal when someone would say, "my name is actually X?" with big dramatic music and I'd have to pause it and look up on imdb to remember who X was and stuff like that.

Still, very much worth a watch.
Finished it, you had to pay attention, which kept me interested.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am the same. What are some of your favourites in the way of series and movies.Me, I can't help watching B grade sci fi as I grew up with it but also newer ones like the Martian.
I loved Babylon 5. Got the whole series on DVD as well as the tele-movies. Interesting story, J Michael Straczynski approached Paramount with the idea of a Space Station where alien races would come together to deal with their issues. Paramount said no, bad idea, 12 months later they came out with Deep Space Nine. Another little tid bit, Epsilon the planet beneath Babylon 5 with it's internal planet sized machinery was an ode to The Forbidden Planet, another of my favourite old sci-fi movies.

Ice Pirates - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ice_Pirates
Alien and Alien 3 = good, everything else meh.
The Thing (original)
Barbarella - watch it stoned and it makes sense...just.
Starman
Blake 7
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Dune
The Last Star Fighter
I could on and on.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Finished it, you had to pay attention, which kept me interested.
The one thing I didn't like was that they seemed to rush the last two episodes. Seemed like there were whole sections cut out. Like how he turned into Adam. Just one scene he's not Adam then the next scene he is.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I loved Babylon 5. Got the whole series on DVD as well as the tele-movies. Interesting story, J Michael Straczynski approached Paramount with the idea of a Space Station where alien races would come together to deal with their issues. Paramount said no, bad idea, 12 months later they came out with Deep Space Nine. Another little tid bit, Epsilon the planet beneath Babylon 5 with it's internal planet sized machinery was an ode to The Forbidden Planet, another of my favourite old sci-fi movies.

The Thing (original)
Starman
Blake 7
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Dune
The Last Star Fighter
I could on and on.
My mother was into the more strange scifi movies so she brought me up on a lot of these movies, but also the strange Terry Gilliam fantasy movies like the Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Jabberwocky

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mother was into the more strange scifi movies so she brought me up on a lot of these movies, but also the strange Terry Gilliam fantasy movies like the Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Jabberwocky
I really liked that Munchausen movie even though it was widely panned. Jabberwocky not so much.

Scanners was another one I liked. I'm trawling through Sci-Fi movies of the 80's and going "oh god yeah, remember that one..."

Sometimes the worst thing you can do is re-watch them as many have not aged well. Mad Max is one, re-watched it last week and christ it was made on the cheap. lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I really liked that Munchausen movie even though it was widely panned. Jabberwocky not so much.

Scanners was another one I liked. I'm trawling through Sci-Fi movies of the 80's and going "oh god yeah, remember that one..."

Sometimes the worst thing you can do is re-watch them as many have not aged well. Mad Max is one, re-watched it last week and christ it was made on the cheap. lol
I'm the same with the Flash Gordon movie. Widely criticised movie and it has some crazy, over the top stuff (Queen soundtrack, Brian Blessed's excellent but over the top acting), but I loved it. Watched it again recently and it's terrible but still great.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A few others:

Masters of the Universe - Dolph Lungren at his best

Cherry 2000 - Remember when the year 2000 was the future?

The Escape from NY/LA movies

and one of the most underrated scifi/horrors ever made..

Event Horizon

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm the same with the Flash Gordon movie. Widely criticised movie and it has some crazy, over the top stuff (Queen soundtrack, Brian Blessed's excellent but over the top acting), but I loved it. Watched it again recently and it's terrible but still great.
Talking of old sci fi, Mad Max and movie soundtracks I watched an 80's cult classic that I loved as a kid the other week. The Wraith, it's like Fast and Furious and The Crow mixed with a little bit of science fiction. It's one of those bad it's good type movies, but still I find pleasure in it. It's got a good 80's soundtrack, with the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Motley Crue, Robert Palmer, Billy Idol just to name some. Oh and 21 year old Sherilyn Fenn was a hottie :p

Anyhow, here is the trailer if you haven't seen the movie before.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few others:

Masters of the Universe - Dolph Lungren at his best

Cherry 2000 - Remember when the year 2000 was the future?

The Escape from NY/LA movies

and one of the most underrated scifi/horrors ever made..

Event Horizon
Oh man I remember Cherry 2000. I loved all those post apocalyptic, cyberpunk, dystopian style movies from the 80's and early 90's. Escape from NY/LA how can you not like Snake Plissken.

I just love 80's and early 90's movie wether Action, Sci Fi, Fantasy or Horror. Some for nostalgic reasons, some just because I enjoyed them.

Also, Event Horizon is one of my favourite Sci Fi/Horror movies. It definitely is underated. It's another movie that I rewatched recently.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talking of old sci fi, Mad Max and movie soundtracks I watched an 80's cult classic that I loved as a kid the other week. The Wraith, it's like Fast and Furious and The Crow mixed with a little bit of science fiction. It's one of those bad it's good type movies, but still I find pleasure in it. It's got a good 80's soundtrack, with the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Motley Crue, Robert Palmer, Billy Idol just to name some. Oh and 21 year old Sherilyn Fenn was a hottie :p

Yeah remember that one, had that Dodge Interceptor in it? I didn't like the look of that car but always thought it would be cool to have one that would fly back together again. lol

Scanners was another one with Michael Ironside. Firestarter with a baby face Drew Barrymore.

Anyone remember V, the tv show where that lizard chick swallowed the hamster? I'm accessing memory cells I thought were long dead from lifestyle.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah remember that one, had that Dodge Interceptor in it? I didn't like the look of that car but always thought it would be cool to have one that would fly back together again. lol

Scanners was another one with Michael Ironside. Firestarter with a baby face Drew Barrymore.

Anyone remember V, the tv show where that lizard chick swallowed the hamster? I'm accessing memory cells I thought were long dead from lifestyle.
Yep that's the one, well they were really only replicas because the real one was one of a kind worth 1 million and not allowed to drive it so they only used it for the intro still shots.

Your going back, but i remember those and yes, I remember V, the 80's edition and the one they brought back later on.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The one thing I didn't like was that they seemed to rush the last two episodes. Seemed like there were whole sections cut out. Like how he turned into Adam. Just one scene he's not Adam then the next scene he is.
I thought that was just me, almost like they cut 3 episodes into 2.

With Adam, all I remember the only explanation they give is that time travel takes a toll on the body.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Great movie. I remember watching it about 4 times back to back.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

The Thing (original)
Starman
Blake 7
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Dune
The Last Star Fighter
I could on and on.
Oh,I so love Babylon 5 as well and have it and the tele movies too. Forbidden Planet is the bomb and based loosely on the Shakespeare play The Tempest. The original Thing was just so superior to the remake as it left a lot to your imagination...you just knew every time you saw a closed door something was on. James Arness was perfect as the Thing.

Loved The Day the Earth stood still, It came from Outer Space, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the TV series the Outer Limits and the Twilight Zone.

Not many like Plan 9 but Bela Lugosi was one of my favourite actors of that time and it was hilarious watching his "double" parade around his face shielded by a cloak simply because Bela died during filming.....

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh,I so love Babylon 5 as well and have it and the tele movies too. Forbidden Planet is the bomb and based loosely on the Shakespeare play The Tempest. The original Thing was just so superior to the remake as it left a lot to your imagination...you just knew every time you saw a closed door something was on. James Arness was perfect as the Thing.

Loved The Day the Earth stood still, It came from Outer Space, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the TV series the Outer Limits and the Twilight Zone.

Not many like Plan 9 but Bela Lugosi was one of my favourite actors of that time and it was hilarious watching his "double" parade around his face shielded by a cloak simply because Bela died during filming.....
I love Plan 9 because it markets itself as "The Worst Movie Ever Made". Did you know that the original title was "Body Snatchers from outta Space" but because it was financed by the Mormons, they didn't like the title so it was changed to Plan 9.