There goes Holbrook

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So?
My border collie could’ve coached St. Helens to the minor premiership. They have 6 current and 3 former internationals in their side.
Only the kennel can circle jerk, so hard, over an unproven reserve grade coach.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No more Holbrook threads required as he is no longer bulldogs relevant

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you imagine if we got Holbrook on a 4yr deal and he was fkn useless....
The Kennel were wankin over Pay because he wasn't brainwashed by Des like Dymock.
Thats aged well.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dogs ignored Holbrook and the titans grabbed him. The dogs seem intent on ignoring Shaun Wane and the Cowboys are circling. Meanwhile back in Groundhog Day, the masterful dogs board have their hearts set on a an already failed first grade coach. As many have shown before, a good assistant does not necessarily equate to a good head coach. Many a good assistant has particular attributes that can help the halves, or the forwards, or the inside or outside backs. But lack that man management and broader vision necessary to be a successful head coach. Des was a proven head coach who took a shambolic team (on their performance the previous year) and coached them to the two grand finals before the slide, much of which may have come down to collecting his former manly discards who seemed only interested in their pay check.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holbrook and the Titans aren't doing much better... Only a step above us on 15th.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The dogs ignored Holbrook and the titans grabbed him. The dogs seem intent on ignoring Shaun Wane and the Cowboys are circling. Meanwhile back in Groundhog Day, the masterful dogs board have their hearts set on a an already failed first grade coach. As many have shown before, a good assistant does not necessarily equate to a good head coach. Many a good assistant has particular attributes that can help the halves, or the forwards, or the inside or outside backs. But lack that man management and broader vision necessary to be a successful head coach. Des was a proven head coach who took a shambolic team (on their performance the previous year) and coached them to the two grand finals before the slide, much of which may have come down to collecting his former manly discards who seemed only interested in their pay check.
I was keen on Shaun Wane, but im hapy eniugh with Barrett too. Need i remind how shit the titans still are?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with part of this.
I don’t think they ‘ignored’ Holbrook but genuinely wanted Pay to have a chance to succeed at the time. Holbrook hasn’t set the world on fire at the Titans either.

I agree that Wane would be a compelling choice with 3 titles in 8 years at Wigan but as we saw with Brown and even with Holbrook so far, success in SL doesn’t necessarily translate to NRL success.

Barrett to me is a risk given his results at Manly. If it happens we can only hope he’s learnt and grown as a coach and man manager since then and there doesn’t appear to be many credible alternatives available which is why until the pot boiled over I think the club were aiming at 2022 for a coaching change but have obviously had to shift gears there.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with part of this.
I don’t think they ‘ignored’ Holbrook but genuinely wanted Pay to have a chance to succeed at the time. Holbrook hasn’t set the world on fire at the Titans either.

I agree that Wane would be a compelling choice with 3 titles in 8 years at Wigan but as we saw with Brown and even with Holbrook so far, success in SL doesn’t necessarily translate to NRL success.

Barrett to me is a risk given his results at Manly. If it happens we can only hope he’s learnt and grown as a coach and man manager since then and there doesn’t appear to be many credible alternatives available which is why until the pot boiled over I think the club were aiming at 2022 for a coaching change but have obviously had to shift gears there.
Titans arent bottom of the ladder anymore so give Holbrook some kudos! They are playing a lot better than the last few years and it will take him time to get the better systems happening.

I agree that Barrett is a risk, he was shit at Manly and they had a fantastic roster!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Titans arent bottom of the ladder anymore so give Holbrook some kudos! They are playing a lot better than the last few years and it will take him time to get the better systems happening.

I agree that Barrett is a risk, he was shit at Manly and they had a fantastic roster!
I wasn’t bagging Holbrook and over time he could produce some good results.

Where I was coming from was that many on TK seemed to believe that Holbrook would’ve bought immediate and significant improvement to the Dogs had he been hired this year and I don’t think we can say that’s that case, particularly with our roster still requiring surgery as we all know. These things take time as we’re seeing with the Titans - it’s just hard for passionate fans to cop that reality when your team is struggling - something long time Dogs fans (including me) are not used to.

Malla

Reaction score
Holbrook has a massive task ahead to fix what is wrong at Titans. The good thing about that job up there is less pressure so he will have all the time in the world to get it right.

Bulldogs would have spat him out after 2 seasons.

Tripehound

New Pup
Reaction score
Horses for courses, getting the right man in as head coach isn't just about getting a proven or successful coach from elsewhere it's about the someone who fits in with any given clubs DNA. Justin Holbrook at St Helens was a perfect fit (it wasn't a case of anyone could turn up and win things with a good squad, otherwise the previous incumbent, Keiron Cunningham, would never have gone), I wouldn't necessarily think he'd be the correct appointment at the Bulldogs.

I can only look in as an outsider and wouldn't want to try and teach any dyed in the wool Canterbury fan how to suck eggs, but with the dogs of war culture that I've seen at the club from when I first started to follow rugby league in Australia in the early 80's I would think that Shaun Wane would be a fantastic shout as head coach. He's very single minded, hard headed and can be brutal, he demands total respect and compliance from his players and is extremely loyal and supportive in return. He would bring the hard edged culture back that the club is renowned for and for my money could be the ideal candidate. However it would appear to be academic if Barrett has got the nod.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m more an optimist than a pessimist and I feel that’s due to age as I’ve been following the Dogs since the late ‘70’s, but boy that’s starting to wear thin now. I see light at the end of the tunnel with JAC and Burton coming in 2022 but what we need are forwards and with Holbrook joining the Titans they were able to attract the hottest front row forward on the market from the Broncos and a few potential stars from other clubs to join.

Barrett may well turn out to be great but the early signs haven’t been great and in Holbrook I feel we missed a Golden Opportunty to get a coach that players are keen to play under. Barrett failed at Manly and despite being assistant coach at Penrith we haven’t seen any improvement thus far but he really needs to have a massive clean out at years end.

As for Holbrook he was brought up in the Canterbury Bankstown area having played for the Milperra Colts and played halfback for the Knights, Panthers and Roosters. His winning % at St Helens was 80 and since being at the Titans he’s won 12 of the 25 games he’s coached at 48% winning strike rate but that’s bound to improve as he’s signed there for a few years yet.

Finally Lachlan Coote who won a premiership with the Cowboys and now another in the Super League at St Helens has said Holbrook is without doubt the best coach he’s played under.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m more an optimist than a pessimist and I feel that’s due to age as I’ve been following the Dogs since the late ‘70’s, but boy that’s starting to wear thin now. I see light at the end of the tunnel with JAC and Burton coming in 2022 but what we need are forwards and with Holbrook joining the Titans they were able to attract the hottest front row forward on the market from the Broncos and a few potential stars from other clubs to join.

Barrett may well turn out to be great but the early signs haven’t been great and in Holbrook I feel we missed a Golden Opportunty to get a coach that players are keen to play under. Barrett failed at Manly and despite being assistant coach at Penrith we haven’t seen any improvement thus far but he really needs to have a massive clean out at years end.

As for Holbrook he was brought in the Canterbury having played for the Milperra Colts and played halfback for the Knights, Panthers and Roosters. His winning % at St Helens was 80 and since being at the Titans he’s won 12 of the 25 games he’s coached at 48% winning strike rate but that’s bound to improve as he’s signed there for a few years yet.

Finally Lachlan Coote who won a premiership with the Cowboys and now another in the Super League at St Helens has said Holbrook is without doubt the best coach he’s played under.
To be fair anyone would’ve attracted Fifita & Tino with the massive money they threw at them. After what we’ve been through with Des I hope we don’t go crazy with the salary cap again

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh but at least they were able to attract them to a club that doesn’t have the history like us and other clubs, Holbrook will win a Premiership as a coach and it may or may not be at the Titans but they’re building a very good team for the future. Titans are currently sitting 7th and just have a look at their for and against compared to ours.

Where stuck with Barrett long term now or should I say for the next year as if by this time next year we’re seeing the same stuff as we’ve so far seen this year and I hope not for his and our sake then they can stick with him until Holbrooks nearing the end of his contract, a year out, and offer him one to coach the Dogs .

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair anyone would’ve attracted Fifita & Tino with the massive money they threw at them. After what we’ve been through with Des I hope we don’t go crazy with the salary cap again
And in ‘attracting Fifita’ - a move from Brisbane to the Gold Coast isn’t comparable to trying to lure him to Sydney. It’s about more than money, so I wouldn’t be lathering the Titans in praise just for that.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It took Holbrook some time to get his house in order at the Titans....and players like Fifita didn't go there just for Holbrook....the Titans throwing huge cash at them and the appeal of staying away from the Sydney fishbowl and avoiding the ridiculously high price of real estate would also have had something to do with it. If Barrett can lure a gun like JAC and the best young playmaker in the game to the club, I'm sure he can also lure some quality forwards.

I think Holbrook has done a great job so far at the Titans and would have done a great job here. But he's gone....so people need to quit living in the past and give Barrett a chance. He may not turn out to be the answer, but it is way too early to write him off after 5 games.

What's done is done.....we have some incredible talent coming to the club. Let's try to be optimistic about the future.