News Penrith won’t stand in way of Trent Barrett

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daily Telegraph

Penrith won’t stand in way of Trent Barrett move to Canterbury Bulldogs as Eddie Jones sounds out coaching job
He’s the favourite to eventually replace Dean Pay at Canterbury and Penrith has cleared the way for a Trent Barrett move to the Bulldogs

By Dean Ritchie

Influential Panthers director Greg Alexander has approached his club’s assistant coach Trent Barrett over an increasingly likely move to Canterbury before declaring: “We won’t stand in his way.”

Barrett is firm favourite for the expected vacant Bulldogs coaching position with Canterbury’s board to make a decision on current coach Dean Pay before the club’s next football club board meeting on July 30.

The Bulldogs want Pay to complete this season in charge but his contract – which will end after this season – won’t be renewed.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Canterbury hasn’t officially contacted Barrett but there are behind-the-scenes moves to lure him away from Penrith.

Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill is believed to have contacted Panthers counterpart Brian Fletcher on Monday to tell him they are keen to speak to Barrett.

There has also been a left-field link between Canterbury and England rugby union coach Eddie Jones.

Barrett has told friends he won’t rush into any decision after his modest three-year coaching stint as Manly coach where he won just 29 of 73 games.

Aware of the speculation, Alexander phoned Barrett on Sunday night to ask about any shift to the Bulldogs.

“I rang Baz last night,” Alexander said.

“I told him he had to do what he had to do. I don’t think anyone would stand in the road of an assistant if he can get a head coaching role at another club.

“It’s been great to have Baz back at the club but if he decides he wants a head coaching role next year then that’s the nature of the beast.

“Naturally, we’d love him to stay given he’s been great for the club and he desperately wants to stay at Penrith this year. But we understand the goal of every coach is to be the boss.”

There are other powerful figures at Penrith who believe Barrett is happy at the club and doesn’t want to coach Canterbury.

An acquaintance claiming to represent Jones has contacted a Bulldogs director with the pair having coffee last week.

It was claimed the acquaintance suggested Jones as a possible Bulldogs coach and that he would surround himself with a respected circle of rugby league assistants including Jason Ryles and Brett Kimmorley.

Canterbury feels it’s not the right time to experiment with a successful rugby union coach untested in rugby league.

A source close to the board said there was more chance of Pay being re-signed than Jones being appointed.

English rugby league coach Shane Wane has also been mentioned. The club has made discreet inquiries but interest is lukewarm.

Barrett is aware coaching Canterbury would require a hefty rebuild but also knows he has $3 million to spend in the salary cap and would be in charge of a rich and powerful Sydney club with a $9 million Centre of Excellence.

The TAB has tightened Canterbury from $2.75 into $2 for this year’s wooden spoon. They are $3.10 to beat fellow strugglers St George Illawarra in Wollongong this Friday night.

Canterbury’s board met two and a half weeks ago and agreed to give Pay another month. They are trying to remain true to their word.

Kevin Walters, Anthony Griffin, Brad Fittler and Laurie Daley have also been mentioned as Canterbury coaching candidates. Walters (Queensland coach), Fittler (NSW coach) and Daley (co-host Big Sports Breakfast) appear happy with their current roles.

There was a push for Canterbury to chase Wayne Bennett with Michael Ennis as his assistant. That, though, is unlikely. Canterbury will need to make a decision soon with a new coach wanting a say in the club’s retention and recruitment.

The incoming coach will need to decide whether to re-sign off-contract stars Kieran Foran, Adam Elliott and Aiden Tolman, although the club has already opened preliminary discussions.

Canterbury has won two of nine games this season and are four competition points last on the NRL table.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Daily Telegraph

Penrith won’t stand in way of Trent Barrett move to Canterbury Bulldogs as Eddie Jones sounds out coaching job
He’s the favourite to eventually replace Dean Pay at Canterbury and Penrith has cleared the way for a Trent Barrett move to the Bulldogs

By Dean Ritchie

Influential Panthers director Greg Alexander has approached his club’s assistant coach Trent Barrett over an increasingly likely move to Canterbury before declaring: “We won’t stand in his way.”

Barrett is firm favourite for the expected vacant Bulldogs coaching position with Canterbury’s board to make a decision on current coach Dean Pay before the club’s next football club board meeting on July 30.

The Bulldogs want Pay to complete this season in charge but his contract – which will end after this season – won’t be renewed.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Canterbury hasn’t officially contacted Barrett but there are behind-the-scenes moves to lure him away from Penrith.

Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill is believed to have contacted Panthers counterpart Brian Fletcher on Monday to tell him they are keen to speak to Barrett.

There has also been a left-field link between Canterbury and England rugby union coach Eddie Jones.

Barrett has told friends he won’t rush into any decision after his modest three-year coaching stint as Manly coach where he won just 29 of 73 games.

Aware of the speculation, Alexander phoned Barrett on Sunday night to ask about any shift to the Bulldogs.

“I rang Baz last night,” Alexander said.

“I told him he had to do what he had to do. I don’t think anyone would stand in the road of an assistant if he can get a head coaching role at another club.

“It’s been great to have Baz back at the club but if he decides he wants a head coaching role next year then that’s the nature of the beast.

“Naturally, we’d love him to stay given he’s been great for the club and he desperately wants to stay at Penrith this year. But we understand the goal of every coach is to be the boss.”

There are other powerful figures at Penrith who believe Barrett is happy at the club and doesn’t want to coach Canterbury.

An acquaintance claiming to represent Jones has contacted a Bulldogs director with the pair having coffee last week.

It was claimed the acquaintance suggested Jones as a possible Bulldogs coach and that he would surround himself with a respected circle of rugby league assistants including Jason Ryles and Brett Kimmorley.

Canterbury feels it’s not the right time to experiment with a successful rugby union coach untested in rugby league.

A source close to the board said there was more chance of Pay being re-signed than Jones being appointed.

English rugby league coach Shane Wane has also been mentioned. The club has made discreet inquiries but interest is lukewarm.

Barrett is aware coaching Canterbury would require a hefty rebuild but also knows he has $3 million to spend in the salary cap and would be in charge of a rich and powerful Sydney club with a $9 million Centre of Excellence.

The TAB has tightened Canterbury from $2.75 into $2 for this year’s wooden spoon. They are $3.10 to beat fellow strugglers St George Illawarra in Wollongong this Friday night.

Canterbury’s board met two and a half weeks ago and agreed to give Pay another month. They are trying to remain true to their word.

Kevin Walters, Anthony Griffin, Brad Fittler and Laurie Daley have also been mentioned as Canterbury coaching candidates. Walters (Queensland coach), Fittler (NSW coach) and Daley (co-host Big Sports Breakfast) appear happy with their current roles.

There was a push for Canterbury to chase Wayne Bennett with Michael Ennis as his assistant. That, though, is unlikely. Canterbury will need to make a decision soon with a new coach wanting a say in the club’s retention and recruitment.

The incoming coach will need to decide whether to re-sign off-contract stars Kieran Foran, Adam Elliott and Aiden Tolman, although the club has already opened preliminary discussions.

Canterbury has won two of nine games this season and are four competition points last on the NRL table.

Yeah, this story tells me 2 things. The board dont and never had a plan B and secondly that Hill is a complete fuckwit. An EGM is the only way to stop this madness and some serious discussion with egos left at the door needs to take place, between members from past and current factions. We need to put together a unified ticket that has balls, makes sense and will act in the best interest of the club for all of us.

Enough.

P.S I cant stand Alexander.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Ritchie cannot get his facts right on something as simple as how many games the dogs have won this season - like its not hard as they ave only won once- why believe the rest of the tripe.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Barrett was shown to be a dud at Manly by how much better Des has got them going..

Id prefer to wait until a good candidate comes along than make another dud appointment..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Barrett was shown to be a dud at Manly by how much better Des has got them going..

Id prefer to wait until a good candidate comes along than make another dud appointment..
How did Des go when his star players were unavailable at Manly? Much the same as Pay with the talent he had at his disposal.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if greg alexander wants him to coach us then we have a problem

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, this story tells me 2 things. The board dont and never had a plan B and secondly that Hill is a complete fuckwit. An EGM is the only way to stop this madness and some serious discussion with egos left at the door needs to take place, between members from past and current factions. We need to put together a unified ticket that has balls, makes sense and will act in the best interest of the club for all of us.

Enough.

P.S I cant stand Alexander.
You’re not real hot on barret either I am starting to sense lol

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did Des go when his star players were unavailable at Manly? Much the same as Pay with the talent he had at his disposal.
Im comparing Des and Barrett as they had the same roster.. Not Des & Pay for that very reason of different rosters..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If Ritchie cannot get his facts right on something as simple as how many games the dogs have won this season - like its not hard as they ave only won once- why believe the rest of the tripe.
Hes probably not a detailed oriented person and is straight meat.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im comparing Des and Barrett as they had the same roster.. Not Des & Pay for that very reason of different rosters..
I get that; but we'll never know how Pay might have gone had he been given the job of coaching a Manly side full of stars. One thing we will find out, is how Barrett goes with a team of donkeys - assuming he will accept the job.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get that; but we'll never know how Pay might have gone had he been given the job of coaching a Manly side full of stars. One thing we will find out, is how Barrett goes with a team of donkeys - assuming he will accept the job.
I really dont think any coach could do much with the roster Pay has got.. I think thats not in question..

What my criticism of Pay would be is his ability to assemble a good roster.. As he has persisted with the same duds and re-signed & extended them under his tenure as coach.. And if any of these re-signing of duds werent his decision or happened against his will.. then he shouldnt have copped it and he should have walked as at the end of the day they do reflect on him (and the clubs management)..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I don’t know if they can wait... the problem is they need to sign players and that can’t happen without a recognisable coach and solid plan for the future

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least Barrett would better than Joe Biden.

Funny when I think of Barrett I remember the Brown slap first.