Dogs to give Barrett $3m cheque book as Penrith allow him to start talks over replacing Pay

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dogs to give Barrett $3m cheque book as Penrith allow him to start talks over replacing Pay

Trent Barrett during his time as Manly coach
Penrith have granted assistant coach Trent Barrett the freedom to speak to Canterbury as Dean Pay’s time at Belmore looks to be coming to an end

Canterbury have won just one game all season and Pay, whose contract expires later this year, has come under increasing scrutiny.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Barrett, whose last full-time coaching role was at Manly, headed to the foot of the mountains to work with Ivan Cleary.

Once at the Panthers, he is credited with transforming their attack.

A number of other coaches have been linked with the Bulldogs job, but speaking on NRL360 on Fox League, The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield said that the Panthers were letting Barrett speak to Canterbury

“Greg Alexander, who works at Fox and is an influential director at Penrith has basically given Barrett permission to talk to them,” Rothfield revealed.

RD 10 TEAM TIPS: Grand finalists scramble to replace SIXTEEN stars

‘I’VE HAD ENOUGH’: NRL’s $2M bunker slammed by experts after horror weekend

DOG DOWN: Young Canterbury player forced into COVID isolation

Barrett’s spell at Manly was not short of controversy, but it was the view of the NRL360 panel that he would have learned from his mistakes.

“He’s running Penrith’s attack,” The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent explained.

“Last year Penrith couldn't score and Barrett’s turned up this year and just reinvigorated their attack.

“I tell you my concern, there’s no doubt he knows his footy but the concern is that when he didn't have the infrastructure around him at manly and I don't know if he’s really going to get it at Canterbury.

Aiden Tolman of the Bulldogs and his team mates look dejected after conceding a try
ROUND 9 WRAP: The famous name Raiders should sign after Hodgson injury

VOSSY’S VERDICT: Slap on the wrist that won’t stop ugly NRL trend from continuing

STILL CLASSY: McGregor’s response to critics who called for his head after Manly win

“The issue won’t be his football coaching. Des (Hasler – current Manly coach) has the ability to coach the minutiae of the playing structure and all that but also handle all the salary cap and all the personalities and tells the CEO how they’re going to do things.

“There’s no doubt that Barrett will have learned from his experience at Manly and then having had the year away.”

Fox League’s chief reporter James Hooper made that point that Barrett, unlike Pay, would have a full salary cap to spend.

“He’s got a $3m chequebook to go into the market, but he has also got factionalism left right and centre,” Hooper said.
Paul fucking Kent...:tearsofjoy:

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay got used and abused. I dont care what any of you say. You can all get fucked. The poor bastard got absolutely used like a cheap kite. If he gets the sack i will rally with sponsors to walk away.
Mate, Pay is a top bloke, however, no one had a gun to his head to sign Onto the job in the first place.
He was a hard as nails forward when he was playing, but now as a coach looks to be a fish out of water & also seems to be abit of a pushover.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay got used and abused. I dont care what any of you say. You can all get fucked. The poor bastard got absolutely used like a cheap kite. If he gets the sack i will rally with sponsors to walk away.
Mate I disagree to a extent, he knew what he was getting himself into and it was no surprise. His contract should of ended last year but they gave him another year. I’m not saying he couldn’t do a good job with a proper roster but his selections and interchanges during games has completely destroyed his chances. Not one player has grown under his coaching and even our senior players are losing form. If he wanted to prove a point then 1 winning game this season so far wasn’t the way to show his potential. It’s time to move on

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
At least he will bring his own chair

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
This would be such a hard decision for Barrett. This could very well be his last ever chance to coach a team, does he take it knowing we are absolute shit and knowing that if he can't fix that turd, he may never head coach again? Or does he hold out for another top job that may never come and keep assisting?

I think he has to go for it, and hopefully it works out for him and us.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one on this site is ever happy
Sack pay was the catch cry..barrett built the current manly team nurtured the turbo boys into the top grade
The point is if we r to attract top line players we need to move forward now so managers know who the coach is going to be
As much as I love pay as a player and a bloke I'm not sure he has the answers even with a restricted roster
puzzling selections..
Let barrett have the top job then judge
Barter can’t take the credit for Jake Trbo and crediting him for Tom is like crediting Mick Potter developing Tedesco. Sometimes coaches get lucky and either recruit or have generational talent coming through the grades.
It seems Barrett is doing well as an assistant maybe we should be getting Pay better assistants who can help the attack and defence

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah not sure how I feel about this either. How is it that he deserves to just walk in after this time with 3 million bucks to spend? What has he notably done to warrant such trust? Who can he attract in regards to players? What is his vision and is it just babble or achievable? Last of all he's Manly.....

I hope the Board have no better options because this is a huge call.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s a big boy. He knew what he was getting into when he signed. He promised us madness, he promised us that he will focus on juniors and 3 years in all he has now is excuses and wanting to buy players. He had his chance to develop players and not one has advanced their career

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish we had a vomit button, or a you just made the list button..

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I'm 50/50 on this call. I think Baz has a great mind for footy, but can he rebuild this club. If he is here he needs help. Griffin, Hagan, to run the rebuild and Barrett to coach than I'm happy.
No my biggest gripe with 360 and every other journo who sucks des off for what he done at manly. Remember the rot at the dogs started with Des, we went on a decent losing run with that ****. We had one of the worst attacks especially for a decent roster. Every fuck forgets the last year he was here he was at pays level. Between marble mouth Kent and sock in mouth hoops they have no fucking clue. Buz won't live long let him slide the drunk fuck. Rant over but still don't feel better

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Always said he was treated poorly, still doesn't change the fact that he never was and never will be head coach material.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah not sure how I feel about this either. How is it that he deserves to just walk in after this time with 3 million bucks to spend? What has he notably done to warrant such trust? Who can he attract in regards to players? What is his vision and is it just babble or achievable? Last of all he's Manly.....

I hope the Board have no better options because this is a huge call.
I'm sure if Brett I'd signed he won't have it all his way when it comes to who is recruited the way Des did

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has to be a red herring

What does Barrett bring - just another former player with his coaching L plates

as if our Board will hand the keys over to a relative beginner!

I can just imagine the first time there is a difference of opinion on recruitment or another key decision- Barrett will be like a deer in the headlights

if they are not going to enable Pay to do his job they can at least replace him with an experienced coach.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck how he was treated. He was getting paid a wage that most people can only dream about. He had 3 seasons to prove he could cut it. He can’t move on
As someone pointed out on the Forum that tommy Ridonolkis said after a poor run or form as a coach of the magpies..."mate i can only piss out of the dick that i've got".

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck how he was treated. He was getting paid a wage that most people can only dream about. He had 3 seasons to prove he could cut it. He can’t move on
I'm not defending him, he is shit. The issue is that this lot has done it once and they will probably do it again.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As someone pointed out on the Forum that tommy Ridonolkis said after a poor run or form as a coach of the magpies..."mate i can only piss out of the dick that i've got".
Whats pissing got to do with coaching people to be better at something? Pays a dud