Wait for 2021....

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so we heard the war cry from the board and their lackeys for the past few years but let's put it into perspective as the 2021 season starts in 8 months.

So what are we exactly waiting for?

we have a war chest

a new coach
player signings
a major sponsor

expectations?
top 4 / 8 finish
premiership
admin that knows what they are doing

or a combination of none of the above

thoughts?

Hey El Padrino,

That natboy gave your post a rainbow....

Natboy is screaming out that he has rainbow pride and needs to show his commitment to the cause.

Just keep in mind you may receive more from her and fellow rainbow and cross-x comrades.

Godspeed

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
In no particular order I want

- Certainty around the coach
- 4-5 genuine NRL players added to the squad
- Up to our eye balls in the hunt for the top 8 all season
- To score some points I'm so sick of us scoring the lowest amount of points in the comp and the media finding some obscure stat around the amount of points we have scored.
- Getting some of the juniors blooded into the NRL and turning them into NRL players or higher. Topine,Doorey and Schoupp in particular.
- Build up our junior stocks
- Project a much more professional image. Things like Port and the Terry Lamb corona stuff is just sloppy and can be avoided or not make it's way into the media.
Very fair assessment mate.
I don’t blame the club for Port, but they have to learn from it. Lamb wasn’t that big a deal, no different to Farah etc, but I guess why feed the fake news, there’s enough of it anyway.
FakeNews.jpeg

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The minimum pass mark for our recruitment team (board) IMO is

Hooker: Grant, B.Smith, Friend, Mahoney, C.Smith - anyone less would be a fail

Half: Matt Burton, Jackson Hastings - anyone less a fail

Centre: Nick Cotric - anyone less a fail

2nd row: David Fifita, John Bateman - anyone less a fail

Winger: (to replace R.Smith who'se f..king lazy) Josh Ado Carr - anyone less a fail

If we can't sign 4-5 of the above players with our war chest and after getting rid of some deadwood like Tolman then the board have failed as far as I'm concerned and need to go at the next elections

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally I’m expecting, and am confident they will deliver the following;

• 2-3 additional key players to go with Thompson
  • Major sponsor
  • Top 8 finish
  • Improved brand of football
If they achieve the above then they will have well and truly delivered on the promises laid out in 2018.

Onwards and upwards from 2021.
We had a major sponsor until those dip sticks stuffed it up and we nearly made the eight last year. Hope it all falls into place for next year.

Last edited:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The minimum pass mark for our recruitment team (board) IMO is

Hooker: Grant, B.Smith, Friend, Mahoney, C.Smith - anyone less would be a fail

Half: Matt Burton, Jackson Hastings - anyone less a fail

Centre: Nick Cotric - anyone less a fail

2nd row: David Fifita, John Bateman - anyone less a fail

Winger: (to replace R.Smith who'se f..king lazy) Josh Ado Carr - anyone less a fail

If we can't sign 4-5 of the above players with our war chest and after getting rid of some deadwood like Tolman then the board have failed as far as I'm concerned and need to go at the next elections
for 2nd row, would you take CHN back? I think Fifita is pie in the sky. I’d love him, but to get him we’ll be needing 1.3 I honestly think for him to relocate considering Titans will throw between 1 to 1.15.
Bateman I reckon is gone back to UK

For winger, I reckon JAC will want to be with old mate Mitchell and they’ll “make” that happen... would you take either of Coates, Koroibete or Rona if JAC is not a reality?

just questions, I know nothin more than the next guy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
for 2nd row, would you take CHN back? I think Fifita is pie in the sky. I’d love him, but to get him we’ll be needing 1.3 I honestly think for him to relocate considering Titans will throw between 1 to 1.15.

For winger, I reckon JAC will want to be with old mate Mitchell and they’ll “make” that happen... would you take either of Coates, Koroibete or Rona if JAC is not a reality?

I think the chances of CHN ever being in a Dogs jersey again is slim to none. There’s too much baggage there now.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean the corner shop?
We had a major sponsor until those dip sticks stuffed it up and we nearly made the last year. Hope it all falls into place for next year.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In no particular order I want

- Certainty around the coach
- 4-5 genuine NRL players added to the squad
- Up to our eye balls in the hunt for the top 8 all season
- To score some points I'm so sick of us scoring the lowest amount of points in the comp and the media finding some obscure stat around the amount of points we have scored.
- Getting some of the juniors blooded into the NRL and turning them into NRL players or higher. Topine,Doorey and Schoupp in particular.
- Build up our junior stocks
- Project a much more professional image. Things like Port and the Terry Lamb corona stuff is just sloppy and can be avoided or not make it's way into the media.
I heard an interesting stat today we are one of two clubs to receive 28 repeat sets(highest in the league)since the rule was Introduced yet we are the lowest scoring side which really highlights the point you make about our point scoring ability,we have been far to focused on getting into defensive grinds for two years and that has left us so far behind the rest of the competition with respect to scoring points

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard an interesting stat today we are one of two clubs to receive 28 repeat sets(highest in the league)since the rule was Introduced yet we are the lowest scoring side which really highlights the point you make about our point scoring ability,we have been far to focused on getting into defensive grinds for two years and that has left us so far behind the rest of the competition with respect to scoring points
It shows you how over structured we are in attack. Instead of taking our advantage and exposing a defence under pressure we revert back to taking hit ups until we try something on tackle 5.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I wouldn't mind Alex Johnston as a winger (also some fullback coverage), but I don't think we need anymore wingers. Coates is a good option. I haven't seen Koroibete or Rona play since they were in the NRL so hard to say regarding them two.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It shows you how over structured we are in attack. Instead of taking our advantage and exposing a defence under pressure we revert back to taking hit ups until we try something on tackle 5.
Yeah and every side we play is happy to give us repeat sets because they know we offer fuck all in attack and they will defend the set

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah and every side we play is happy to give us repeat sets because they know we offer fuck all in attack and they will defend the set
On the flip side we can't defend repeat sets. Last week looked like we were very scared to give them away and because of that we got slaughtered in the ruck.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this has been as issue since 2015. If you compare our attack to other teams (with the exception of the Dragons) the biggest difference is SPEED. Everything we do is just slow. Gould and Joey have pointed this out numerous times going back a few years when we were playing Desball. Joey mentioned how all our passes were those slow end over end passes (not the quicker torpedo passes) and they were usually passed to a flat footed forward playing first receiver (and half the time the ball was behind the ball receiver). Compare that to the Roosters and its night and day. I mean seriously, you wonder why we struggle to score points. That was 4-5 years ago and NOTHING has changed. NOTHING - how is that even possible?

The one argument I can make in Pay's defense is I remember the Sharks had this same problem a few years before they won the comp. Their attack was awful like ours and it didn't change until they went out and recruited a brand new spine - Ennis, Maloney, Townsend and Barba. Once they did that their attack came alive. If Pay had the right players, and an attack minded assistant (Taylor, Hagan, Furner, etc), we could probably do the same thing.

The question is can we recruit those type of players with Pay as coach or is he seen as "damaged goods" by other players. Unfortunately, while he seems like a nice bloke, he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed during his interviews

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think this has been as issue since 2015. If you compare our attack to other teams (with the exception of the Dragons) the biggest difference is SPEED. Everything we do is just slow. Gould and Joey have pointed this out numerous times going back a few years when we were playing Desball. Joey mentioned how all our passes were those slow end over end passes (not the quicker torpedo passes) and they were usually passed to a flat footed forward playing first receiver (and half the time the ball was behind the ball receiver). Compare that to the Roosters and its night and day. I mean seriously, you wonder why we struggle to score points. That was 4-5 years ago and NOTHING has changed. NOTHING - how is that even possible?

The one argument I can make in Pay's defense is I remember the Sharks had this same problem a few years before they won the comp. Their attack was awful like ours and it didn't change until they went out and recruited a brand new spine - Ennis, Maloney, Townsend and Barba. Once they did that their attack came alive. If Pay had the right players, and an attack minded assistant (Taylor, Hagan, Furner, etc), we could probably do the same thing.

The question is can we recruit those type of players with Pay as coach or is he seen as "damaged goods" by other players. Unfortunately, while he seems like a nice bloke, he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed during his interviews
Club: Knights
Coach: Nathan Brown
Spine: Ponga, Mann, Pearce, Brailey

Pay (well Pay as in the coach) isn't the reason.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Using one example doesn’t really say much either way. Knights took a big risk on Ponga giving him a huge deal for where he was with his career and it paid off. He was the first domino to fall and others followed. If Newcastle didn’t get Ponga the rest don’t come IMO.

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Pay and Brown are not comparable mate Brown was not a rookie coach at Newcastle he coached at St George with some success and then went overseas had some more success in the ESL and when he was actually sacked knights were still in the hunt for the finals... if anything Holbrook is a better comparison but even he has less experience than Brown.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Using one example doesn’t really say much either way. Knights took a big risk on Ponga giving him a huge deal for where he was with career and it paid off. He was the first domino to fall and others followed. If Newcastle didn’t get Ponga the rest don’t come IMO.
Grant was our Ponga.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pay and Brown are not comparable mate Brown was not a rookie coach at Newcastle he coached at St George with some success and then went overseas had some more success in the ESL and when he was actually sacked knights were still in the hunt for the finals... if anything Holbrook is a better comparison but even he has less experience than Brown.
Brown was still one of the worst coaches in the NRL. He also has a worse win % than Pay and that includes one year with a competitive roster (he had Ponga and Pearce for two seasons too). Last year he finished on the same points as us. Unacceptable considering what we're going through. That's also why he got sacked (as well as losing the dressing room).

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
On the flip side we can't defend repeat sets. Last week looked like we were very scared to give them away and because of that we got slaughtered in the ruck.
Yep as soon as the fatigue kicks in we surrender the ruck and this isn’t helped by a coach who has no idea how to rotate a bench