Gus on Six Tackles with Gus regarding Bulldogs recruitment and development

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
25 minutes
https://omny.fm/shows/six-tackles-with-gus/round-eight-is-the-new-six-again-rule-too-pedantic

If you're in charge of the Bulldogs right now how many players do you need?

When the Bulldogs are 500:1 to win, 1000:1 to win the premiership this year, they're no chance (winning the premiership).

They've got money to spend but where are they going to go buy the players?

The only place they can go buy the players is from other clubs. Which is going to weaken them and it's going to weaken themselves in the long run because they're going to have to pay more to do it (overs).

If you're solely based on recruitment, you will eventually end up in salary cap problems.

You have to have a development program underneath that's producing good young talent coming through. You look at the teams that are doing well this year, the Panthers, Roosters, Knights and Raiders have gone through this process.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Going of that, I think it's safe to say that the current board should be judged on recruiting the right players on overs (still going to hurt) and having an effective development program to produce good juniors for the future. That's what's going to set us up for the long run.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes Rain Man, we're all aware that a wooden spoon team needs to pay overs to recruit players. It's hardly a revelation.

Maybe if we weren't a wooden spoon team or the club signed players like Grant last year when they had the chance on a cheap deal then they wouldn't have to pay massive overs?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes Rain Man, we're all aware that a wooden spoon team needs to pay overs to recruit players. It's hardly a revelation.

Maybe if we weren't a wooden spoon team or the club signed players like Grant last year when they had the chance on a cheap deal then they wouldn't have to pay massive overs?
I'm just giving another source that isn't me. 90% of users on this forum don't get why we have to pay overs even tho it isn't rocket science.

Grant's a massive miss. I can't deny that. At the time ~500k for Grant would of been overs. It's similar to Knights signing Ponga at the time. Until we know our 2021 roster I'm going to give the board benefit of the doubt.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Des neglected the juniors. It's going to take 5 plus years to rebuild that. We need to sign 1st graders. Not necessarily super stars but harden 1st graders. When we have a junior ready they enter and the recruitment for that position stops. I said we won't win a comp for 10yrs because this recruitment won't be the contending for comp it will be the one after that and after that. By than we have 7 or 8 juniors . Some with 2 yrs in 1st grade some with 4 and some rookies . But we are a long way from this position. We need to focus on 18 to 20 yr olds and 2 older spine players to get started next year.
We need Gus .

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm just giving another source that isn't me. 90% of users on this forum don't get why we have to pay overs even tho it isn't rocket science.

Grant's a massive miss. I can't deny that. At the time ~500k for Grant would of been overs. It's similar to Knights signing Ponga at the time. Until we know our 2021 roster I'm going to give the board benefit of the doubt.
No one disputes that we have to pay more to entice other players. People dispute your figures of what overs is. For example, offering Grant $1 million a season as you suggested previously.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No one disputes that we have to pay more to entice other players. People dispute your figures of what overs is. For example, offering Grant $1 million a season as you suggested previously.
I believe the Tigers will pay ~700-800k to keep Grant. Grant will also have interest from other clubs. We have to offer more than that to get Grant. Not rocket science. Also I would of said ~1m or thereabouts. I also use this ~ to protect myself from trolls. There are multiple people on these forums who think we're going to sign players for what they're worth.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I believe the Tigers will pay 700-800k to keep Grant. Grant will also have interest from other clubs. We have to offer more than that to get Grant. Not rocket science.
Who knows? They might only be able to offer 600k for all we know. It's not like they have millions to spend like us.

My point is, if a team offers 700k for a player, we don't have to offer a million. That's called overpaying. You go up by increments of 25-50k. I'd hate to see you at a property auction!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who knows? They might only be able to offer 600k for all we know. It's not like they have millions to spend like us.

My point is, if a team offers 700k for a player, we don't have to offer a million. That's called overpaying. You go up by increments of 25-50k. I'd hate to see you at a property auction!
Tigers have McQueen, Taylor, Benji and few others off contract. It has also been reported Tigers are holding salary cap to retain Grant. You have to offer a significant amount more so it's an incentive. An extra 25k-50k for a player that's already worth over ~700k or more isn't going to cut it, especially when they can stay or go elsewhere to a competitive roster. I don't think we should pay overs on overs and more than three year contracts. The main thing is the principle anyways, the exact numbers don't matter.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Heard we have to pay overs to attract top players next year

Huge if true

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tigers have McQueen, Taylor, Benji and few others off contract. It has also been reported Tigers are holding salary cap to retain Grant. You have to offer a significant amount more so it's an incentive. An extra 25k-50k for a player that's already worth over ~700k or more isn't going to cut it, especially when they can stay or go elsewhere to a competitive roster. I don't think we should pay overs on overs and more than three year contracts. The main thing is the principle anyways, the exact numbers don't matter.
Yeah that doesn't add up to much money being freed up. They have to replace those players too. They have players like Mbye, Reynolds, Packer, Douhehi etc on big deals also.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah that doesn't add up to much money being freed up. They have to replace those players too. They have players like Mbye, Reynolds, Packer, Douhehi etc on big deals also.
Okay.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say we come up with a new strategy by paying "unders"

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1/6 posters not derailing the thread. Not too bad.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
There is actually a problem with this logic.

what Gus is relying on is the logic that If you farm young players, you can get them performing for you cheaper because they will not be on a high wage compared to what you can get elsewhere.

Traditionally this has been true. You get a playa crack first grade, find his feet on the back end of one season and then the next two years they play below market value until the roosters or Titans swoop in on a big deal that takes them away.

However, the fault there is this relies on players accepting this and the recent trend is they feel insulted at getting less than their market value dictates.
Look at Ryan Matterson last year. Bateman this year. Mitchell Moses the year before and the year before that, pongas as massive deal and the Tongan kids deal with Souths this year and the other Tongan at the Titans.

The trend is actually to identify prime meat early and actually pay overs to steal them from the womb.

Gus' logic can work at Penrith as it is the largest junior nursery in the world and theres First graders if the future who aren't even making their Ball side, and then you have the broncos who can pay unders to their players in line with cheap Brisbane real estate and barriers to exit like family, upheaval moving etc.

The best play is team composition. Identify the right players in the right positions and identify them at the right age and treat them well! Look after them in non monetary ways. Something our Club has not been doing to certain ethnic groups in their youth that the tigers have picked up on.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
25 minutes
https://omny.fm/shows/six-tackles-with-gus/round-eight-is-the-new-six-again-rule-too-pedantic

If you're in charge of the Bulldogs right now how many players do you need?

When the Bulldogs are 500:1 to win, 1000:1 to win the premiership this year, they're no chance (winning the premiership).

They've got money to spend but where are they going to go buy the players?

The only place they can go buy the players is from other clubs. Which is going to weaken them and it's going to weaken themselves in the long run because they're going to have to pay more to do it (overs).

If you're solely based on recruitment, you will eventually end up in salary cap problems.

You have to have a development program underneath that's producing good young talent coming through. You look at the teams that are doing well this year, the Panthers, Roosters, Knights and Raiders have gone through this process.
true story, if we had a reputable coach, maybe we wouldn’t have to pay too many overs if any at all