News Thompson will make final call on Bulldogs debut, says Pay

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Such is his respect for English recruit Luke Thompson, Canterbury coach Dean Pay is prepared to let the prop have the final say on whether he makes his NRL debut this weekend.

Thompson arrived at Belmore just after 10am on Tuesday and was given his first grand tour of Belmore.

Pay was impressed with seeing the 25-year-old in the flesh for the first time and named him in the No. 21 jersey for Sunday evening's clash against South Sydney and fellow Englishman Tom Burgess.

"If he feels like he's ready to play, he'll play,'' Pay told the Herald.

"He's a bit unsure because it's only his first day, and we'll see how he goes the next couple of days and have a better idea. He's been around long enough and knows [his body].

"He hasn't done contact in a while. He's obviously looked after himself. I know what he brings and what he can do, but there won't be any pressure on him. We just want him to come here and be himself.''

Pay is aware there is no reserve-grade competition where Thompson can fast-track his match fitness.

An Australian flag was hung on one of the walls of Thompson's new Sydney home, but the proud Brit made it known to club officials it had already been removed.

Pay spent plenty of time around Josh Hodgson and Canberra's British imports when an assistant at the Raiders, and was grateful he could understand Thompson.

Souths big bopper Burgess backed Thompson to shine Down Under. "I think he is going to kill it," he said. "I know him well, I’ve played with him internationally and roomed with him last year.

"He has got a great work ethic and I think that is something that will go well for him over here.

"The game will suit his style of play. He is a hard runner, has good line speed and is a good defender.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...-bulldogs-debut-says-pay-20200630-p557ql.html

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay spent plenty of time around Josh Hodgson and Canberra's British imports when an assistant at the Raiders, and was grateful he could understand Thompson.

Journalistic gold! do these guys get paid? Must’ve been trying to pad-out the word count....or a sly dig at Pay’s intellect?

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I doubt Thompson is going to say no, he is pretty keen to get started so I reckon he'll at least be on the bench. Little point saving him one week.

Reactions: DT

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well it's obvious that Pay doesn't know anything about team selections anyway so might as well let a British Prop pick who plays this weekend.
I bet he doesn't pick Holland and Floptoya

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Has Pay forgotten he is coach? Thompson plays if you say he's playing, that's what a coach does ffs.
Another piece of "concrete evidence" that pay is a beta cuck.

@TwinTurbo why don't you debate instead of pressing x's? You're pathetic and spineless as pay. The pile of horse shit is the same.

Last edited:

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of feel sorry for him with the current way we are going.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well it's obvious that Pay doesn't know anything about team selections anyway so might as well let a British Prop pick who plays this weekend.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Why not? The big fella may even get the win as stand in coach if pay so wants to step back as well.. win win ??? Lol !!

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Further proof Pay has zero player respect and fear. What a flop.

"Good kids bla bla" "He can pick if he plays" ... bro you're a coach! They need to respect you through a mix of fear, toughness and understanding.

Sack this poser please!

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Of course Pay wants Thompson to play!
He's on his hands and knees begging to save his career.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair call.

With staff having had merely a week to have a look at him, and having had no other experience with his body, he’ll be the best judge of where his he’s at and if he’s right to go or not.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Smith already tells Pay he’s playing centre
Montoya probably told him he was playing this week as well, Holland no doubt benched himself.... Pay’s weak as piss

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair call.

With staff having had merely a week to have a look at him, and having had no other experience with his body, he’ll be the best judge of where his he’s at and if he’s right to go or not.
Your 1st line says it all. On that, pay should make the call.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay is too much of nice guy that he doesn't want to upset players and let's them have their way instead of stamping his authority.

No wonder players like Napa feel indebted to him.

Cattle or no cattle, he isn't the guy to lead this club into the future.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay is desperate for thompson to play. He'll be blowing smoke up Thompson's arse all week to convince him to play.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thompson will play if it's his decision.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course he play dean has him training at halfback and kicking for goals, just like lyn said its all we need to win a premiership. These people are fucking old and have brain fades like every other old person on earth but we put them in charge. Wtf are people doing