• No

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Would wait to see who was on the rival ticket

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury chair Lynne Anderson has denied Dean Pay’s fate will be decided at a joint-management meeting of football and leagues club powerbrokers on Thursday, declaring: "We will make a measured rather than reactionary decision."

Pay is the only NRL coach off contract at the end of the season and his future is the source of renewed speculation after the club slumped to last place following a 34-6 loss to Wests Tigers.

The Bulldogs will need to make a call on whether to renew Pay’s contract in the coming weeks given recruitment targets want clarity over the team’s direction before committing. Thursday's meeting has been called amid suggestions of a boardroom split over whether to offer Pay a one-year extension.

But in her first comments on the coaching situation, Anderson said Pay’s future was not on Thursday’s agenda and that he will be given every opportunity to push his case to remain at Belmore.

"We won’t be rushing to a decision," Anderson told the Herald. "We will be giving Dean every opportunity and all of our board and staff are committed to supporting Dean and the team.

"Having done a lot of analysis and looked at stats coming from a research [background], I now look at three teams I admire. I look at where they are at and where they have come from because they have had to do rebuilds or they have had dramas with salary cap, etc.

"I admire Parramatta, Newcastle and Canberra. You look at trigger points for their turnarounds, and they are in their fourth or fifth years - we are two-and-a-half in.

They are the kinds of rational decisions required, where we take the heat out of the moment and say ‘should we be further ahead of where we are now?’ Yes, because we shouldn’t have shot ourselves in the foot with Port Macquarie [an incident that led to the sacking of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera].

"They are the things we need to be stepping back [to consider] a rational decision rather than an emotional one."

Asked if there was a deadline on Pay’s future, Anderson said: "Not at all".

"We will make a measured rather than reactionary decision. We are under no illusions we all need to do better."

Pay’s success rate since taking over from Des Hasler in 2018 is just 35 per cent, although club powerbrokers have cut him some slack given the roster and salary cap issues he inherited.

Making the Bulldogs situation all the more intriguing is the prevalence of influential figures on the periphery who have the ear of the decision makers. There is a push for Wayne Bennett to be pursued from 2021 from some quarters as part of a transition plan that involves eventually handing over to a former player currently working in the media. The proposed overhaul includes shaking up the roster by pursuing the likes of Matt Burton, Curtis Rona and also Ben Hunt if the Dragons are prepared to subsidise the transfer of the latter.

Asked if the board was split on Pay’s future, Anderson said: "We have not discussed a decision around him. What we have discussed is that we will continue to support him.

"We had a (board) meeting last Thursday and will continue to give support. Hilly and Pricey (CEO Andrew Hill and general manager of football Steve Price) will be there for him so he can tell us what he needs and what the team needs. That’s all it’s been."

Leagues club boss George Coorey couldn’t be contacted for comment regarding Thursday’s meeting, while Anderson said Pay’s future wouldn’t be broached.

"Absolutely not," she said. "It is all around long-term sustainability of our club, as well as the short term because of COVID.

"It’s about best-practice corporate governance in extraordinary times like now.

"It’s a review about the performance of the leagues club and the football clubs jointly. I am certainly keen to hear management’s views on what the next 12 months will look like."

Last edited by a moderator:

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought they would discuss getting a major sponsor.
Discuss 2021 targets - although I would like to think they have already made contact and offers to players.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought they would discuss getting a major sponsor.
Discuss 2021 targets - although I would like to think they have already made contact and offers to players.
Mate lost and confused, we had a foundation

Klemmer
woods
Mbye
Morris
Morris

they let them go are paying there contracts and who did we get in return.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The question to Anderson is why isn’t the coaching position high on any meeting agenda? When will the club announce a major sponsor & advice the fans of player signings for 2021?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You’d hope that this joint meeting is only about the effects of COVID and financials because the plans for 21 should have been discussed months ago and have been actioned by now.
Listen here, I have done a lot of analysis and looked at stats and can tell you that you are wrong.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like DIB was following the same play book as lyn , she admires parra . Guess that is why dogs signed Foran
Step 1 sign Foran so you can attract other players
Step 2 he gets injured first year and you fuck him off

oops ... they failed on step 2 and didn’t fuck him off

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Listen here, I have done a lot of analysis and looked at stats and can tell you that you are wrong.
Yep she sure has her and her klan are going to put us in a hole not 3 but 6 boards it will take to get us out of.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Looks like DIB was following the same play book as lyn , she admires parra . Guess that is why dogs signed Foran
Step 1 sign Foran
Step 2 he gets injured first year and you fuck him off

oops ... they failed on step 2
Mate unless we start planning then nothings going to change.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s all falling apart at the seems lol, come on, time for a bloody clean out.!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How is it rushing into a decision after two and a half years of the worst attack in the comp and now a bottom placed team?

She admires those other teams? How about beating them or outsmarting them?

Has she done analysis and stats of her own team to see how unacceptable they are?

Comments like this just prove how out of their depth they are.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You’d hope that this joint meeting is only about the effects of COVID and financials because the plans for 21 should have been discussed months ago and have been actioned by now.
They're probably just getting together to plan the next meeting so they can all pat themselves on the back some more for running the club into the ground.

Or she can crunch more numbers and do more analysis of how great the other teams are while ignoring the horrible stats and analysing how abysmal our team is..

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury chair Lynne Anderson has denied Dean Pay’s fate will be decided at a joint-management meeting of football and leagues club powerbrokers on Thursday, declaring: "We will make a measured rather than reactionary decision."

Pay is the only NRL coach off contract at the end of the season and his future is the source of renewed speculation after the club slumped to last place following a 34-6 loss to Wests Tigers.

The Bulldogs will need to make a call on whether to renew Pay’s contract in the coming weeks given recruitment targets want clarity over the team’s direction before committing. Thursday's meeting has been called amid suggestions of a boardroom split over whether to offer Pay a one-year extension.

But in her first comments on the coaching situation, Anderson said Pay’s future was not on Thursday’s agenda and that he will be given every opportunity to push his case to remain at Belmore.

"We won’t be rushing to a decision," Anderson told the Herald. "We will be giving Dean every opportunity and all of our board and staff are committed to supporting Dean and the team.

"Having done a lot of analysis and looked at stats coming from a research [background], I now look at three teams I admire. I look at where they are at and where they have come from because they have had to do rebuilds or they have had dramas with salary cap, etc.

"I admire Parramatta, Newcastle and Canberra. You look at trigger points for their turnarounds, and they are in their fourth or fifth years - we are two-and-a-half in.

They are the kinds of rational decisions required, where we take the heat out of the moment and say ‘should we be further ahead of where we are now?’ Yes, because we shouldn’t have shot ourselves in the foot with Port Macquarie [an incident that led to the sacking of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera].

"They are the things we need to be stepping back [to consider] a rational decision rather than an emotional one."

RELATED ARTICLE

Asked if there was a deadline on Pay’s future, Anderson said: "Not at all".

"We will make a measured rather than reactionary decision. We are under no illusions we all need to do better."

Pay’s success rate since taking over from Des Hasler in 2018 is just 35 per cent, although club powerbrokers have cut him some slack given the roster and salary cap issues he inherited.

Making the Bulldogs situation all the more intriguing is the prevalence of influential figures on the periphery who have the ear of the decision makers. There is a push for Wayne Bennett to be pursued from 2021 from some quarters as part of a transition plan that involves eventually handing over to a former player currently working in the media. The proposed overhaul includes shaking up the roster by pursuing the likes of Matt Burton, Curtis Rona and also Ben Hunt if the Dragons are prepared to subsidise the transfer of the latter.

Asked if the board was split on Pay’s future, Anderson said: "We have not discussed a decision around him. What we have discussed is that we will continue to support him.

"We had a (board) meeting last Thursday and will continue to give support. Hilly and Pricey (CEO Andrew Hill and general manager of football Steve Price) will be there for him so he can tell us what he needs and what the team needs. That’s all it’s been."

Leagues club boss George Coorey couldn’t be contacted for comment regarding Thursday’s meeting, while Anderson said Pay’s future wouldn’t be broached.

"Absolutely not," she said. "It is all around long-term sustainability of our club, as well as the short term because of COVID.

RELATED ARTICLE

UPDATED
NRL 2020

Stuart fumes at manager's role after Bateman's move to exit Raiders
"It’s about best-practice corporate governance in extraordinary times like now.

"It’s a review about the performance of the leagues club and the football clubs jointly. I am certainly keen to hear management’s views on what the next 12 months will look like."
This club is a ticking time bomb with the factions in the board a coach that can't coach a CEO who you don't hear from a football manager who hasn't been in the bubble since covid players playing out of position what new players would want to sign with us for next year even if they where paid overs to come here our once great club is at rock bottom and it's beacuse we have got people who have got no idea how to run a football club